Looking for ideas on building a DIY Smoke eating Air filter system for bedroom at night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into this exact same problem a couple years ago. Even same thing with my dog.

After a little research I learned that smoke can not be effectively filtered because it's not just particulates but also gasses and the gasses are too small for a media filter.

So, with smoke, you have to neutralize it or get rid of it.

Lots of good suggestions for the inline fan that goes outside. They suck a lotta air and can effectively clear a room of smoke..

I ended up doing what was posted above. An activated carbon filter attached to one of my old 6" inline fans. Works amazingly well. I didn't use a box or anything. Just Nomad with his spinning hat. LOL I actually think it looks kind of cool. LOL

Good luck with your dog.
Thanks Charlie
I am the same guy who posted about my dog
So did you vent yours outside of house, and did dog respond Good?
Thks

I ran into this exact same problem a couple years ago. Even same thing with my dog.

After a little research I learned that smoke can not be effectively filtered because it's not just particulates but also gasses and the gasses are too small for a media filter.

So, with smoke, you have to neutralize it or get rid of it.

Lots of good suggestions for the inline fan that goes outside. They suck a lotta air and can effectively clear a room of smoke..

I ended up doing what was posted above. An activated carbon filter attached to one of my old 6" inline fans. Works amazingly well. I didn't use a box or anything. Just Nomad with his spinning hat. LOL I actually think it looks kind of cool. LOL

Good luck with your dog.
Smell is mostly particulate matter, so filtering works pretty well. Your reasoning is why I use Ozium in the tube. It can clear a smoky room with good results. Shouldnt breath the stuff while it floats in the air.....

Bubba

Smell is mostly particulate matter, so filtering works pretty well. Your reasoning is why I use Ozium in the tube. It can clear a smoky room with good results. Shouldnt breath the stuff while it floats in the air.....

Bubba
Please explain the Ozium in tube and how you apply it in real lifes studies

we like fractional gold coins like the 2 and 2 1/2 Mexican gold pesos , good for trading , easy to carry

also the French Roosters , Kruegerrands and Gold Eagles come in 1/10 of an ounce

nothing fancy because it all melts the same

and then there is gold nuggets

the sad part is that i lost over 95% of my gold and silver in a bad boating accident….yep , yep , we was rowing out to a deserted island to bury it when we hit a huge log which immediately capsized the boat

fecking lake has no bottom!…it is over 600 feet deep which means all that gold is gone!

Lake Crescent in Washington

71305C4D-656B-45BE-BF88-3B9C5E879811.jpeg

F580A2DC-CB9B-4B66-B85C-BCA1EBCDC522.jpeg

BACA21DE-72AA-4A19-A827-C53246304663.jpeg

we like fractional gold coins like the 2 and 2 1/2 Mexican gold pesos , good for trading , easy to carry

also the French Roosters , Kruegerrands and Gold Eagles come in 1/10 of an ounce

the sad part is that i lost over 95% of my gold and silver in a bad boating accident….yep , yep , we was rowing out to a deserted island to bury it when we hit a huge log which immediately capsized the boat

fecking lake has no bottom!…it is over 600 feet deep which means all that gold is gone!

View attachment 322287
View attachment 322288
View attachment 322286
If it was enough to make it worthwhile, they have Remote Operated Underwater Vehicles (ROUV's) that will dive that deep and retrieve them.

Please explain the Ozium in tube and how you apply it in real lifes studies
It's in a spray can. To clean room couple of puffs, wait a few minutes. For the tube, I just spray down some of the stuffing material.

Haven't done any studies on it. We used to keep a small size one clipped to car window visor. If pulled over, spray! Never had to test that out.

Bubba

View attachment 322287
View attachment 322288
View attachment 322286
My broker usually had ounces that are made with scores, so you can break it off by the gram.

Bubba

OK here's the deal my Dog has been having a severe breathing problem at night and the Docs still have no clue , so all my inside of house toking has ceased.
(my wife is also now bothered by the strong smell of MY Perfect smelling weed (thks James the perfect) LOL

OK so I want to build a small yet very efficient filter devise to eat ALL of my smoke I exhale into the room
Here is my idea and lets see if we can build on it Thank You Open to all suggestions @Tattered Old Graywolf and other mechanical minds here.

I plan to start with the smaller charcoal filter and mount a vortex fan onto it blowing air down through the filter
and a flexible hose (^ inch AC cooling air tube) on the other end that can be held in hand while exhaling smoke into it.
Have a simple off and on switch along with maybe a fan speed controller for noise reduction.
Quick flip and smoke should be gone.
I wonder if I should work a Hepa filter into the works too?
View attachment 299683
I think it should work fine !
You stayin with four inch?

I think it should work fine !
You stayin with four inch?
Went to a 6 inch inline for more air flow through filter
The 4 inch did not have enough suck to draw smoke in from very far.
I have it on a nightstand beside my bed, ashtray sits right in front of the filter which is pull air in and through. The smoke I exhale also gets blown in the direction of the flow in direction. Some slips by but most is getting filtered out.

Latest posts

Back