LOOONG time outdoors...switching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Bone

Reaction score
So, i have been an outdoors man for the better part of twenty years, I have a small, five site DWC tub. i want to give it a shot, it uses hydroton pellets and i have two air stones for it. i will be running a 400 Watt HPS for it, prob. T5's as well for veg.
I'm just not sure what i should use for strains, should i go fem. normal, or go fem. auto. what strains would be good to go for? hopefully low pest and what not. any and all help is well accepted.
thank you

gonna be all personal opinion really.
anything you've grown OD over the years that really stood out?

Do you like Indica, Sativa, or Hybrid?

Im sure anyone here can recommend their favorite strains you would have to just pick based off preference.

I really enjoyed growing White Fire Alien by OGRaskal, big fan of Pre98 Bubba as well, but she is a slow vegger.

If you grew it outdoors, you can grow it indoors. Keeping sativa`s under control can be a fun problem, but well worth the trouble. I`m a sativa lover, so them girls gotta be topped early, some more then once. Indica`s don`t have the height problem. Lot of determining factors to consider. All in all....go for it. You`ll luv growing it and have fun doing it. Check out Curmudgeonland, just a bunch of old farts smoking weed, growing weed and bsing about life, but we never about growing. Sit down, burn one and ask away.

I would not go with a 5 plant tub. These are simply not large enough to go from start to finish. I use multi-plant tubs sometimes, but just for earlier vegging. So, be aware, this will really not be good for the entire grow. Even if you go with smaller faster flowering indicas, a single tote for 5 plants is just not large enough. If you want to start with that and then plan on moving them to larger individual totes (or 2 plant totes at most) that will work. DWC buckets and totes are quite easy to DIY.

When people ask for strain recommendations, I generally ask them what kind of high they like or a re looking for. Like Yooper, I am a sativa lover, but these grow a lot larger and take longer than indica strains. So, what do YOU like?

I don't know much about DWC, but 400 watts aren't going to support much flora at all.

How big a space do you have? 400W HPS is only good for 50,000 lumens. That will cover 10 square feet in Flower. I agree with PH and THG a 5 site DWC will get awful crowded in that space. I don't run hydro often but when I do I like to go with single plant dwc tubs. I use 5 gallon buckets or cat litter buckets.

Sorry, been working like a mofo. my past five years of growing have been narrowed to only a few strains. Sugar black Rose is my favorite, and then i love, love, super lemon haze. great for outdoors, nice tight dense yields. for this, i was looking into 3-5gallon buckets of Autopounder, then there is another strain that i honestly can't remember (ironic, i know) it waqs a dutch passion and i believe it was called just think (all i think is slightly stoopid song) or think again, but it looked promising. only doing three plants to start, five gallon pails with one 400HPS, until funds prevail, and they will be around 3-4 feet tall. i am getting a new high psi pump for the air stones and want to do this correct for the first time, ill adjust from there. any one have any experience with these two strains? i am ordering soon, and want to make sure that i will have a decent enough time with one of these strains. thank you
~Tbone

Growing hydro you are going to need a decent pH meter and something to measure EC, along with calibration fluids and pH up and down. Correct pH is critical with hydro. Do you have a space set up indoors? If so, tell us about it. If not, you should get this done before you pop a single seed. It will need to be under 10 sq ft, as mentioned. You need a space you can control the environment and the lighting.

If not going with fem seeds, I would start more than I needed. I would forget the Autopounder--sounds like more of a commercial strain. I just have not been impressed with ANY of the Big Bud I have smoked--the potency is just not there. And then when you consider that it has been crossed with ruderalis....well....nothing I would ever want to put into my garden. I am not sure how you have picked that strain, but there are a myriad of strains out there that are undoubtedly far better. My original question still stands--What kind of high do you like? Do you like indicas, sativas, fruity taste, hashy taste, etc, etc. You should grow something you like and we can help you with strain selection.

I have a basement set up with three buckets, a couple of fans, and exhaust to outside, and a 400 watt HPS, i was def. thinking of going with an Indica strain. i have a few seeds that are leftovers from other grows(gotta love UFO) and i was thinking of trying one of those soon, kind of a test run if you will. im sure it will take one or two grows, but it will be nice to get the experience down.
Thank you for the advice of the PH meter, and I'm looking into any products that will help to regulate all the girls correctly, any suggestions are more than welcome as i only have the HPS, would this be ok to grow from seed to harvest with through the entire cycle?
thank you everyone
TBone

I think the most I would put under a 400 is 3, but I tend to grow kinda big bushes.

Latest posts

Back