Low humidity during flower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
Even tho the buds in my grow tent look to be healthy and happy the humidity has been running low like this morning only 27%. The temperature is 78F. I haven’t worried to much as my plants are pretty much crammed in the tent using each other as support in some areas and I didn’t want to risk moisture under the canopy. I’m sure I could get the humidity up some by either putting some water in the tent or maybe a humidifier outside the tent or by using my oil diffuser without oil inside the tent which I did once to get the humidity up during the veg cycle. My question is I’m within a couple weeks of watching trichomes develop to ripening in the tent. Should I worry about this low humidity during the last couple weeks of flower and try to up the humidity a bit in their last couple weeks of life?

I have been wondering and researching drying. I just cut and every place I have to dry for the most part is low humidity. Garage. Not sure if I should be adding a humidifier to a closet with string tied across the inside of it. Several threads suggested 60% RH for drying. ????? I'm guessing I just answered that question for myself. ??

I have been wondering and researching drying. I just cut and every place I have to dry for the most part is low humidity. Garage. Not sure if I should be adding a humidifier to a closet with string tied across the inside of it. Several threads suggested 60% RH for drying. ????? I'm guessing I just answered that question for myself. ??
This is my first grow and I will be chopping my plants down soon and decided that the tent would be the best place to dry it as my tent is in my furnace room that has a nice window to both vent and open to lower the nice warm temp my utility room provides for free. I plan to dry on a rack inside my tent as hanging and separating five different plants I felt would be easier even tho I know there are those that frown upon not hanging. I plan to do a wet trim and leave the buds on the stems and rotate daily so they can dry uniform and not squish the buds. I may do the dry differently on my next grow but I’m gonna try this out this time since I have time to babysit their every moment and dedicating a whole room of reefer hanging about is not an option for me (although would love to walk thru one of these rooms…) I will somehow try to get my humidity up to over 50% in the tent but worry about putting anything actually inside the tent to provide this moisture thinking that it may effect the drying process. Maybe I will add humidity outside the tent opening in the room instead to bring it up. Is 60% RH correct? And what temperature is suggested by my new group of friends here For drying?

In low humidity's your buds will dry much faster and you need to watch them closely
There are ways to slow the dry by doing it inside a sealable container with bud inside a brown paper grocery bag , the paper absorbs the moisture and being inside the container with lid keeps it from drying to fast, ie tupperware (bin with lid) or even a fresh clean garbage can with lid.

Just a friends way that I do similar
o dry to fast is your worst enemy.
Dry to slow it molds is your second worst.

To fast gives a hay-lawn clipping stink.
Stem snapping = way over dry and trashed.

1642341935043.png

hang just long enough for the smallest buds to firm back up. Then it gets stripped off in thumb sized buds into cut down paper bags.
1642341865384.png

Stacked in a closed container overnight this works out perfect and in 7-10 days I'm done and dried to exactly 62% and it can go in jars with no burping needed.

I'm in a very low humidity zone so what works here may not work for for a more humid zone.

Low humidity rocks during the growth cycle of the plant. It really lowers the chance of any type of mold spore to hatch and infect your plants.

So yeah , your plants will be A-OK until harvest.

We are blessed with real low humidity out here on the high plains of eastern Colorado

it is not uncommon to have 10-15% humidity for weeks at a time

of course we humans love the low humidity combined with high temperatures so these carbon units enjoy high heat and low humidity , very pleasant

Now as far as drying and curing , like my brother from another mother Rosterman said , ya have to keep a close eye on the plants when drying

that is an understatement cause let me tell you this , when it gets around 10 - 20% humidity and plants are harvested and hanging , I swear to Atlas I can hang some flowers and they are ready to debone in 3 days!!

and then when they are deboned , we put the flowers in 3-4 gallon totes with lids

and we have to open and close the lids 3-4 times a day until they get a little easier to manage

it is a delicate balancing act to properly cure and dry cannabis flowers and it is a LOT of trial and error

but cannabis is pretty forgiving and if some of it gets to dry we throw in a flour tortilla and it usually moistens right back up

it I hate to do the tortilla thing , that just shows me that I was slacking and not checking the moistness of the flowers on a regular schedule

anyway………..I’m rambling cause we are waking and baking with some c99 that is 14 months cures and is still crumbly moist and rolls great joints…

I hate rolling joints with dry dusty weed!

this size of colas are dry sometimes in 3 days

0A15AFC7-41AA-4867-907A-BBDF8581E9D6.jpeg

535D915F-B4AB-4881-8017-A37F421D100B.jpeg

In low humidity's your buds will dry much faster and you need to watch them closely
There are ways to slow the dry by doing it inside a sealable container with bud inside a brown paper grocery bag , the paper absorbs the moisture and being inside the container with lid keeps it from drying to fast, ie tupperware (bin with lid) or even a fresh clean garbage can with lid.
I’m gonna try to get as close to 60/60 as I can in the dry tent. Hopefully no lights will help bring the humidity up a bit. I just have to open the window a bit to bring down the temp from its current 78. Don’t want it drying to quick

Low humidity rocks during the growth cycle of the plant. It really lowers the chance of any type of mold spore to hatch and infect your plants.

So yeah , your plants will be A-OK until harvest.

We are blessed with real low humidity out here on the high plains of eastern Colorado

it is not uncommon to have 10-15% humidity for weeks at a time

of course we humans love the low humidity combined with high temperatures so these carbon units enjoy high heat and low humidity , very pleasant

Now as far as drying and curing , like my brother from another mother Rosterman said , ya have to keep a close eye on the plants when drying

that is an understatement cause let me tell you this , when it gets around 10 - 20% humidity and plants are harvested and hanging , I swear to Atlas I can hang some flowers and they are ready to debone in 3 days!!

and then when they are deboned , we put the flowers in 3-4 gallon totes with lids

and we have to open and close the lids 3-4 times a day until they get a little easier to manage

it is a delicate balancing act to properly cure and dry cannabis flowers and it is a LOT of trial and error

but cannabis is pretty forgiving and if some of it gets to dry we throw in a flour tortilla and it usually moistens right back up

it I hate to do the tortilla thing , that just shows me that I was slacking and not checking the moistness of the flowers on a regular schedule

anyway………..I’m rambling cause we are waking and baking with some c99 that is 14 months cures and is still crumbly moist and rolls great joints…

I hate rolling joints with dry dusty weed!

this size of colas are dry sometimes in 3 days

View attachment 286329

View attachment 286330
Wow that’s a beautiful cola, go USA I’d say. Those plants outside in pots?

Latest posts

Back