low trichome count - should I worry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimg

Reaction score
Hi, first time grower and poster on this forum :)

I grow 4 super silver haze plants indoor, using led, potting soil and some basic nutrients. Started from feminized seeds.
I'm on day 39 of flowering. I let the plants grow for 8 weeks prior to flowering.
The plants are of different heights, but somewhere around 2 / 3 ft high.

I have 2 questions:
  • One of those plants has a significant lower trichome count. I'm wondering what could be the cause? It's especially interesting because it only happens for one of the plants. I hope my other plants won't suffer the same issue. See the 6 pictures below, the 3 first ones are 'low trichomes' vs the 'normal' last 3 pictures
low-trichome1.jpg
low-trichome2.jpg
low-trichome3.jpg
normal.jpg
normal2.jpg
normal3.jpg
  • Also, I know that yellowing leaves is kinda normal at this stage, right? Does the yellowiing of the leaves below look normal to you? I don't have a proper frame of reference.
fullplant.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
the amount of trichomes has nothing to do with potency , as Putembk said

the only difference may be an increase in oil if you process those plants into oleoresin of full spectrum cannabis essential oil but even then , I’ve had African strandivars that had low visible trichomes but when they were processed , some of the best yields I have ever experienced

so let us review: trichome production has no influence on potency

the amount of trichomes has nothing to do with potency , as Putembk said

the only difference may be an increase in oil if you process those plants into oleoresin of full spectrum cannabis essential oil but even then , I’ve had African strandivars that had low visible trichomes but when they were processed , some of the best yields I have ever experienced

so let us review: trichome production has no influence on potency
That´s good news, my autos vary a lot this time.
I´ll be smoking them until harvest, when I hope to make oil for the first time.

one year I had two outdoor grows , one up in the Rockies at 10,000 feet in a greenhouse and one on the high plains at 4300 elevation....same plants , about a half dozen varieties....

most of the 10k plants had a very frosty covering , about twice as much as the 4300k plants

my unscientific conclusion was the increased trichome production at 10k was due to the higher Uv and the plants produced more trichomes for protection against high Uv...

they all smoked the same to me , the frosty ones had better bag appeal and sold really fast in our dispensary

76E16BF9-E624-4395-868F-66FBBF1D5C84.jpeg
2DB8FC51-A76C-418A-98CB-7572894102E4.jpeg

I have heard that the leaves will start to yellow because harvest time is a near. I read it online somewhere. So if your getting close to harvest it could be normal.

Latest posts

Back