LST and Topping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Everywhere on the forum i have seen LST and topping.

I was just wondering what are the absolute benefits of doing these to your vegetative plants? and also, how many times would you top your plant and why?

Also ive heard a growers tip that if you follow the stalk all the way to the top of a flowering female about a week in 12/12 and cut the very top of the stalk leaving the tallest branch to become the top would increase yeild.

weird questions i know :eek:

i dont know about topping but i do have experience with lst.
lst is used to train the plant to lean so you can get more light to the undergrowth.

Both control the way the plant will grow. Topping will redirect the hormones to the lower branches leading to a bushier plant and more than one top cola. LST trains the plant to grow in unnatural ways... sideways. Both can increase the yeild if done properly.

Everytime you cut a top TWO grow back in its place. I use LST and cut the tops

yeah and you want to watch topping to many times. i read here that if you top to many times the potency of your bud drops.

night501 said:
yeah and you want to watch topping to many times. i read here that if you top to many times the potency of your bud drops.

Another old myth!

I would agree Kade. I've cloned my mother over 100x times and never had a problem with potency. Also I took a new mother from a clone and have not hany any problems with those either.

More facinated with the "sea of green" tbh lol,

any other methods around for maximizing yield? i think ours will be quite high anyway as there looking more short and fat and bushlike rather than sparse....although first grow so im only speculating

Sea of green is awsome. Thats all i use. Put them into flowering about a week after roots start to show. With this method i yield agout an oz out of every 2' plant.

hmm, an oz out of every 2 plants, if thats what you mean, doesnt sound like that much, wouldnt you benifet from leaving the veg to grow a bit more? i mean were using root matt, and have been able to see our babies roots for about a week and a half know, still the plants are only just 5 to 6 inches tall, although they have awesome stems, were not considering flowering them for at least a couple more weeks, thats 5 weeks veg minimum in this case?

but yeh sea of green is great ive seen some amazing ones in various magazines / websites,

DrGreenThumb said:
Hey all,

Everywhere on the forum i have seen LST and topping.

I was just wondering what are the absolute benefits of doing these to your vegetative plants? and also, how many times would you top your plant and why?

Also ive heard a growers tip that if you follow the stalk all the way to the top of a flowering female about a week in 12/12 and cut the very top of the stalk leaving the tallest branch to become the top would increase yeild.

weird questions i know :eek:

Hey, DocGT...LST is very good if you have limited height, as well as for flower production. I tried it last year, and I'm a firm believer. There are a few methods and techniques, but keep in mind that you are stressing the plant and it will take longer to veg it [in my experience]. It's actually pretty cool after you harvest, and look at the twists and turns you've shaped the plant! Oh, and I top once early in the veg stage.
:aok:
Nelson

well mine and doc G's plants are currently:

1small.jpg

^sorry bout image size

Nice and strong into the Vegness, How would you reccomend topping these?

Latest posts

Back