Made a couple changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks!!
Well, I made a couple changes in my little garden. I took THGs' advice and got another light. I now have two 400W HPS over my seven ladies. I also placed the lights closer to the plants than I had them. You read so many different ideas on that one... One place tells you to put them two feet above the plants when in flowering, but I am getting the idea from you all that that's pretty much b..s?!? I now have them about 8-10 inches and I'll keep a close eye on them so they don't burn. Sooo.....I am hoping for some improvement! My plants are in full flower and are looking pretty good to me:D , but this is my first serious grow as I stated before, so they are the best I've ever done!!!

Hold you hand over your plants...if the light is too hot on the back of your hand, it's too hot for the plant. 8-10 inches sounds pretty good. I'm about that far away with my 600. You might be able to get a little closer. Is it a cool tube or air cooled hood?

TheKlonedRanger said:
Hold you hand over your plants...if the light is too hot on the back of your hand, it's too hot for the plant. 8-10 inches sounds pretty good. I'm about that far away with my 600. You might be able to get a little closer. Is it a cool tube or air cooled hood?

Not hot at all on my hand. If I lower them anymore though, they won't be above the tallest plants.:confused2: The only thing cooling the hood is the fan I have in the closet. It oscillates and hits the light hoods as well as the plants. I may be able to lower the one because I have one over the shorter plants, but the other light is already pretty close to the taller ones. Not much wiggle room there!

Tanks!

craterlake said:
Not hot at all on my hand. If I lower them anymore though, they won't be above the tallest plants.:confused2: The only thing cooling the hood is the fan I have in the closet. It oscillates and hits the light hoods as well as the plants. I may be able to lower the one because I have one over the shorter plants, but the other light is already pretty close to the taller ones. Not much wiggle room there!

Tanks!

Sounds like you're good to go!

:aok: Your plants are going to love the extra light.

Next, you should be thinking of some real ventilation. You need to actually be exchanging the air in your space--out with the old and in with the new. An oscillating fan will simply move CO2 depleted air around. Your girls need a continual supply of FRESH air all the time the lights are on.

:rolleyes:
The Hemp Goddess said:
:aok: Your plants are going to love the extra light.

Next, you should be thinking of some real ventilation. You need to actually be exchanging the air in your space--out with the old and in with the new. An oscillating fan will simply move CO2 depleted air around. Your girls need a continual supply of FRESH air all the time the lights are on.

I also have a high capacity ceiling exhaust fan in the closet that runs constantly. It exhausts into my attic which in turn has a solar exhaust fan and roof vents. It's pretty comfortable in there!:) I attribute the fact that not much odor has gotten into my house to that ceiling fan. It really 'sucks' good! LOL!! I was afraid that adding the new light now would be a little too late, but I'm going with what you said...they are going to love the extra light! Tanks for the feedback!!

TheKlonedRanger said:
Sounds like you're good to go!

I hope so! This is my first serious grow and I am proud of my ladies so far!!

craterlake said:
I hope so! This is my first serious grow and I am proud of my ladies so far!!

Same here. First grow and I'm getting close to harvest. Good luck!

I'm happy for you. The plants will be happy too. Smart move.

More light....you're getting serious here!!! :D NICE, keep it up and you'll soon be proudly harvesting that first crop!! Good work!

Latest posts

Back