magnesium deficiency?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpcore

Reaction score
This is my fat triploid swiss bliss i was hoping to switch into 12/12 this weekend, but i noticed this leaf edge curl. in the stickies above, it says to add dolomitic lime or epsom salts. The ph of the soil is 6.4 - 6.8, so won't adding dolomitic lime or epsom salts raise it too much? Can i still switch into flowering while treating this problem? Does it look like it is a magnesium deficiency?

leaf_Curl.jpg

If it's rootbound it would need Nitrogen. How long has it been in that container and what kind of soil is it?

If that is mag def it is not bad yet. I would add the epsom salt to it. It shouldn't need much and probably will not push the ph much. You could do a epsome salt solution and foliar feed it a few times. Just a small amount in luke warm water and spray the plant with it in a fine mister. Do it once a day for 3 days and see if the plant responds within 5-7 days. If it responds well then add a little to the soil and flip her.

okay, thanks. i'll try the epsome salt thing.

I don't think it is root bound - the soil is gardener's supply transplanting mix with a handful of worm castings thrown in. and some perlite and vermiculite. and a small bit of Epsom Organic Traditions Garden Lime I added later to counteract the EJ acidity. It's in a 3.75 gallon pot and has been in it for about two weeks. It is a bigger plant than it looks in that photo - really fat and bushy - i cropped way in to get the leaf detail. The temperatures in the room were cold for most of that two weeks and all the plants seemed to me to be growing slowly - 60 with the lights on, 55 off. now i have it up to 73 on and 57 off.

yikes :eek: warm that room up...lol. They flourish in the mid to high 70's, ime.

There is the heart of your problem brother :eek: You do not want to let the temps get below 65*f at any time. Some plants can handle it but others will close up shop. When they are that cold they don't eat well and will show deficiency. I know this because I have had the same problem recently but mine look a lot worse than yours because I let them go a lot longer in the cold to keep them in stasis. Now I am fighting to get them to grow right. You may not have needed the epsom salt but it won't hurt to have it there anyway. Your soil sounds a little nute lite. I am not sure how rich that gardener's soil is but if it is lite as I suspect then you need to look into some nutrient tea to start giving it right away, along with some Mychorrizae to help chelate the nutes a little faster. :)

Thanks for all your help.

yesterday that swiss bliss got epsom salted and this morning i added an electric heater to the space until i have time to build a better room for them. right now, the "room" is made up of old cubicle walls covered in panda film and in the corner of a 10x7 side room in the basement. So it isn't heating up like the closet used to, with jsut the light - and i thought that would be good! There are plans to build something better, i've just been buried in work. grrr. Also, i SUCK at building stuff, so maybe my brother will help out - he reaps the benefits of this little hobby and wants to be more involved in it.

The soil is very light, it used to list the ingredients, but they aren't on these current bags for some reason. I was feeding all the plants modestly and in the past two feedings upped the amount of EJ grow - cause they were lookin hungry. I read something last night on these forums about water chlorination locking out magnesium... but the EJ schedule and advice says it doesn't mix well with RO'd water - i'm not sure what the lesser of the two evils is.

Latest posts

Back