Make your own rooting hormone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas 11111

Green Mojo To All
Reaction score
I found this in a cannabis package on different growing methods that I dloaded.

How do I make my own Rooting hormone?

Cut some willow branches (All willow species produce this natural rooting hormone), into 2" or 4" long pieces (enough pieces to fill a bowl).

Put the willow cuttings into a big kettle (or pot) on the stove, fill with water (all cuttings should be are covered by water). Turn on minimum heat setting, cover with a lid, and leave on low (but do not boil) for 2 hours. Then turn off heat and leave kettle covered for 12 hours.

After the mixture has cooled for 12 hours, the water should be a dark brown. Strain out the water, and discard the branches. Pour the mixture into a container with a plastic top with holes pre-made, and just drop your cuttings in. Let the clones sit in the hormone for 12 to 24 hours (thus allowing the cuttings to fully absorb the rooting hormones), then plant into your medium.

Use as much rooting hormone as you require, then discard the used portion. The unused hormone can be stored in the ice box for years

I remember reading about that trick in a grow bible from George Cervantez. Have yu tried it to see how it works? It would certainly be cheaper than cloning gel if it works good. I use an aeroponic cloner for rooting my clones, I wonder if it would work to use that in the cloner system?

Hushpuppy said:
I remember reading about that trick in a grow bible from George Cervantez. Have yu tried it to see how it works? It would certainly be cheaper than cloning gel if it works good. I use an aeroponic cloner for rooting my clones, I wonder if it would work to use that in the cloner system?
I haven't tried it yet but my aunt just last week brought a bunch of willow clippings home to try to root them. It's safe to say that she is gonna have to give a few up :laugh: I have some in veg stage right now that I plan on trying my 1st cloning with. I will give it a try and see what happens. Probably at least 2 to 3 weeks away from that though.

dman1234 said:
Im not knocking your idea but clonning gel is 4 bucks and i buy it once a year, just saying.
I get what your saying. I actually already have the rooting hormone but I think it would be fun to experiment. Plus it would make me feel alot a lot cooler to be able to say I make my own. :headbang2:

Very cool thomas....thanks for sharing. If you do this please document it. Wld be cool to follow along.

Hamster Lewis said:
Very cool thomas....thanks for sharing. If you do this please document it. Wld be cool to follow along.
Hey Hamster! How are ya? I will def. try it out. When I do I will be sure to document. I will do a couple in store bought hormone and a couple with homade hormone and see which do better. I think it will be interesting. :48:

thomas 11111 said:
Hey Hamster! How are ya? I will def. try it out. When I do I will be sure to document. I will do a couple in store bought hormone and a couple with homade hormone and see which do better. I think it will be interesting. :48:

Sounds cool bro....I agree it shld be quite interesting.

Latest posts

Back