Making concentrated oil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rosebud, I started to read about the beneficial effects of Cannabis which relieve symptoms of the neuro degeneratve disease known as Lou Gerhig's disease or Amiotrophic Lateral sclerosis, from which my belate wife suffered. Unfortunately I found out about the benefits too late! She died after suffering from this disease for 16 years. My interest in Cannabis has continued but only to try to cure my late stage 3 aggresive prostrate cancer, my diabetes, Weak heart condition and poor leg circulation. I am 78 years old.
I have recomenced with my reading, growing and of course oil making. I use a volcano digital vaporizer and when outside I use an Arizer Solo vaporizer. Now I have increased my intake of oil to the size of a grain of rice and I find that I no longer want to vomit.

I am not interested in using Marijuana for recreational purposes but find it excellent to use in the evening for a deep sleep.
As I mentioned before, I will use ISO Laboratory/Medical grade, for my next oil production. I am 100% sure that I will be able to eradicate whatever traces of ISO remain in the oil. Heating the oil and leaving it on the magnetic hotplate with a slowly revolving horizontal magnet which will keep it stirred, even for 24 hours if necessary.

First of all I had no idea cannabis could help ALS. I am sorry for the loss of your wife. That had to be unbelievably hard. Ok, i will quit worrying about the alcohol if you are sure you can get it all out of there. I have been using rso since january. It will help your blood sugars for sure. It fixed mine and lowered my bp so if your on blood pressure drugs be sure to watch for that. What strain are you using for your use? is it a high thc?

I wish you the best of luck. It is amazing what this plant can do. Keep us posted.

Rosebud, I should mention that I have purchased Laboratory/Medical ISO. The most pure ISO available. I need oil to cure my upper stage 3 Prostrate cancer, diabetes, a weak heart and poor leg circulation. Not bad ehh for 78 years?

Hi Rosebud, My pathological problems are:AdenaCarcinoma Stage 3 Gleason 3,7; Weak heart, Diabetes type 2 and insufficient circulation in both legs. Having all these things, I feel like a lion! My age is 78 years.

Good for you, you old man! HA, i can call you that cause you are older than me thank god.

I am glad you have decided to cure your cancer with oil, i bet you will see huge difference in the type 2 , as well. Good luck redpassion. I am on your side... you go man.

661D1AD7-25B4-4B86-8614-DD3A19FBA847.jpeg
H

Honey oil, herb/190 Everclear/dry ice
@ -50f to -60f.
Evaporation & eureka 💡

I hate to tell you this, but ISO is completely soluble and miscible with water. As ethanol does, it will also extract water-soluble compounds, they will simply dissolve in the ISO.

I hate to tell you this, but ISO is completely soluble and miscible with water. As ethanol does, it will also extract water-soluble compounds, they will simply dissolve in the ISO.
Never done ISO, been happy with the super low temp Ethanol vapes great without any additives added, I use a CCell cart…Maybe I will do a comparison someday ?

I like both the Everclear and butane extractions

a lot of the end product has to do with purity of solvent and purging Techniques and of course the cannabis which goes without saying but I said it anyway

My Technique for pure potent vape oil
in CCell cartridges & adjustable pin battery:
I utilized the following article to improve my extraction-
HASH OIL :
Great Article:
June 28, 2017
CANNABIS OIL QWET EXTRACTION BATTLE OF THE WASH: DRY ICE VS. FREEZER
((( Essentially ethanol at extreme cold temperatures still
removes cannabinoids, But the extreme cold temperature slows down to a crawl the extraction of lipids, waxes, fats & chlorophyll. You can remove as much as 30 to 35% of undesirables by utilizing -40/50f extraction temperatures)))

My pure oil technique:
—Homemade (licensed MO Medical Cultivator))
I usually use about 12 to 14 ounces Everclear to 1 ounce ground very dry herb… 25 minute soak after the herb & Everclear have cooled to
-50/-60f range IN cooler with Dry-ice on a screen above herb & generic Everclear mix. (dry ice gas evaporates downward as it is heavier than air.)
(extremely important to keep -50f or a Minimum of -40f until 1st filtering completed),
Of course alcohol and herb are in separate Mason jars at this point cooling down.… Once The alcohol and herb are sub cooled & combined gentle stir 3 or 4 times during 25 minute soak, & shut cooler lid to keep mix sub cooled…
((4 Oz Max per run for me, Grind herbs using kitchen “glass peanut hand grinder”— comes out about twice the size of joint material or what ever u have, I would not use a herb grinder, Personally I think it grinds it too small))
1st Filtering: After soaking herb/alcohol…filter off “very fast” while cold using 75um filter (I use ice Hash bubble bags, they separate alcohol oil wash
VERY fast or use silkscreen material Readily available), filter into Pyrex dish.
2nd filtering into another Pyrex dish use a 25um filter (use the 25 µm bubble bag or a brown coffee filter which is also 25 µm, this removes the remaining sediment) , Obviously the first filtering is the “most important” (remember the whole purpose of the super low freezing temperature is to isolate all of the “”fats, waxes and chlorophyll””
that you “do not want in your Vape oil”)…
Now, Evaporate tincture in Pyrex dish using hot plate or electric skillet (Or let it evaporate naturally in the sun covered with cheese cloth, and no you will not degrade THC In a short period) I like to keep skillet temperature under 160f this keeps the alcohol usually under 140f… I preserve many Terps, but I am not a Terp hunter !!!
MUST Have Fan on & blowing over dish if utilizing heat, NO NO NO open flames… keep well ventilated fan fan fan…
&
When the alcohol mixture has reduced to a couple of ounces, pour it into a very small glass thick jar that you plan on storing the oil in. (Like a used Penzi spice jar I love )…
(you will also use this jar to remove all of the remaining alcohol and whatever water is in it, I do this by putting it on the hot plate of my coffee machine or a skillet keep temperature under 160°, this is the “longest”process step because you occasionally stir the oil with a toothpick to see if there’s …“any any any”micro bubbles, if so you are “not done”… can’t stress this enough. Have patience, because you are not done until those micro bubbles are gone and I mean micro !
(for those of you that want to argue,
food grade alcohol & water pickup is 100% evaporated @ this point).
Done

Pretty much comes out the same every time
4–4.5 Gr net pure oil per Oz., basically ~30-35% free of undesirables -fat, wax , chlorophyll, other Lipids, etc.
Estimated oil potency using GSC Auto strain —Garden of Green
(22% Thc) is
75–85% Thc easy…!!!
Again estimated 😎💨🤪
Done

Notes:
What’s needed:
—large or medium mason jars to sub cool herb & alcohol separately (I prefer large for any size application)
—Herb
— generic Everclear
(or any 190 proof food grade alcohol only)
—Cooler Big enough for your application.
(I use a 20” deep x 18”plastic insulated cooler)
— 8+ pounds of dry ice
(8 pounds minimum for any quantity herb & about 12 to 14 pounds for 4 oz. of herb, -40f is the LOWEST ultimate target temperature, But as stated I use -50 /-60)
—Metal screen or grate To hold the dry ice above the herb & alcohol when in cooler, Why ?
dry ice sublimation Co2 gas sinks it’s heavier when mixed with air!
So do you want that cold air falling over your jars… yes. (Home Depo etc sell those cheap aluminum screens for your grill)
— silicone stir spatula
(silicone is your friend when dealing with cannabinoid oil’s, don’t do this unless you have one!!!)
— small glass storage jar
(I prefer the small Penzi spice type jars, easy to stir and easy to use a syringe removing oil when filling Vape carts)
— plastic syringe for Vape cart filling (always wash syringe out with Everclear immediately when done, and save it drink it… it’s still good, makes a mighty powerful cocktail…!)
—C Cell type Vape carts
$4-5.50 ea.,
(4 -2 mm size oil absorption holes in cart)
—Vape adjustable PIN
(Vision Carbon Spinner 3
is cheap $8-12 ea.,
adj PIN to 3.7 Volts so carts don’t burn out & You do not overheat oil)

Minus -50f Hash Oil Pic in Penzi spice jar:
FBF4DEFF-F599-4411-978C-679878C65390.jpeg

((One last comment. If you did the above process at “”room temperature””,
Your yield would be about 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 g of oil per Oz. 30–35% more…
Why? You are picking up everything out of the plant cannabinoid oil’s(like Rick Simpson oil) fats, waxes, chlorophyll, and other undesirables, which in all reality is just fine if you only plan on using it for edibles or gelatin capsules, but it clogs up Vape carts very easy & reduces potency.))

(note, I do NOT use trim & leaf for the sub cold process…I only use them for dry sift Hash , unless of course I’m just making oil for my gelatin capsule edibles mixed with a dab of peanut butter. ;)
In that case I’ll just use the refrigerator freezer to lower the temperature of my alcohol/herb in separate jars 24 Hrs & mix for ~5Min., & filter/evaporate/ and store. It picks up some undesirables but you are not vaping it only consuming. You can utilize Winterization technique to remove most undesirables, but since it’s for edibles I don’t.)

One more tidbit I tested-
Hash (Keif) Yields about 68-70% pure oil, no wax/fat/biomass pickup if done at
very low sub zero (I prefer -50/-60f using dry-ice in food cooler method per above info) temperatures using generic Everclear
Ethanol (Ethanol extraction efficiency of about 95%).
Extracting the oil from Hash is actually pretty cool, take a 14 Gr. hash chunk & extract & you have ~9.5 grams good pure oil… doesn’t get much better than that !

:)

Good writeup @Extractminussixtyethanol!

Ethanol is my favorite polar solvent for extraction and as has been noted, it works best when at a low enough temperature that it minimally extracts water solubles or molecules longer than C-22.

Here are some applicable links on graywolfslair.com:

First selective ethanol process on the scene was QWET, which extracted around -18C/0F.

9.4.7.1 QWET

Some thoughts and designs for bulk subzero ethanol extraction.

9.4.7.2 Subzero extraction

Here’s one on making your own 190 proof ethanol:

10.19 190 Proof Ethanol from scratch

And one on a refluxing still for achieving 190 proof in a single pass:

15.8.1 Refluxing columns for producing 190 proof Ethanol

My playing with alch extraction on bubble were a mixed bag, but learned a little. This bubble was made like hash so it was smokable without bubbling. The alch sucked the green color out of the hash just like weed. I was surprised at the amount of residue, now light gold. Almost as much material as I started with, but had the texture of fuzz, or dust like. All goodies gone

Not only was the color extracted, but also the other solids, so it was tar like, not oil. Extremely potent!

Colder extraction might help, but I think the real bonus is to use gold colored more pure bubble, and cold temps. A piece the size of a grain of rice achieved a nice strong buzz twice.

Very strong, just needs further refining to get a translucent oil.

Bubba

Extraction remind me of the
Little Feat song 🎵

"Cold Cold Cold"

Cold, cold, cold
Cold, cold, cold
Freezing, it was freezing in that hotel
I had no money, my special friend was gone
The TV set was busted so she went along
I called room, room service,
I'm down here on my knees
A peach or a pear, or a coconut please,
But they was cold

Well it's been a month since I seen my girl
Or a dime to make the call
'Cause it passed me up, or it passed me by,
Or I couldn't decide at all
And I'm mixed up, I'm so mixed up
Don't you know I'm lonely
And I wish the world would get off of my case
And get on one of its own

Cold, cold, cold
Cold, cold, cold
That woman was freezing, freezing cold
Well I tried everything to warm her up
Now I'm living in this cold hotel
'Cause she passed me, up or she passed me by,
Or I couldn't decide at all
Oh I'm mixed up, yes I'm mixed up
Don't you know I'm lonely
Of all the things I had to do
I had to fall in love
You know she's cold

Turn your clock back woman when you see me comin' round
My feet don't, feet don't even touch the ground
Don't be cold, don't be cold
Don't be cold, don't be cold”
🎵🎶🎵

My playing with alch extraction on bubble were a mixed bag, but learned a little. This bubble was made like hash so it was smokable without bubbling. The alch sucked the green color out of the hash just like weed. I was surprised at the amount of residue, now light gold. Almost as much material as I started with, but had the texture of fuzz, or dust like. All goodies gone

Not only was the color extracted, but also the other solids, so it was tar like, not oil. Extremely potent!

Colder extraction might help, but I think the real bonus is to use gold colored more pure bubble, and cold temps. A piece the size of a grain of rice achieved a nice strong buzz twice.

Very strong, just needs further refining to get a translucent oil. Bubba

We extracted bubble using ethanol as well and yielded about 70% by weight. As you note, it is amazing how much cellulose there is left with the shafts, hairs, and discs, but it makes a nice clear concentrate.

Good writeup @Extractminussixtyethanol!

Ethanol is my favorite polar solvent for extraction and as has been noted, it works best when at a low enough temperature that it minimally extracts water solubles or molecules longer than C-22.

Here are some applicable links on graywolfslair.com:

First selective ethanol process on the scene was QWET, which extracted around -18C/0F.

9.4.7.1 QWET

Some thoughts and designs for bulk subzero ethanol extraction.

9.4.7.2 Subzero extraction

Here’s one on making your own 190 proof ethanol:

10.19 190 Proof Ethanol from scratch

And one on a refluxing still for achieving 190 proof in a single pass:

15.8.1 Refluxing columns for producing 190 proof Ethanol

whoop whoop
beep beep
there it is!

We extracted bubble using ethanol as well and yielded about 70% by weight. As you note, it is amazing how much cellulose there is left with the shafts, hairs, and discs, but it makes a nice clear concentrate.
I think the good stuff disolved quickly. I could still tell the was a bit of material, so I kept stirring and mashing on it, probably had the good stuff already, and I kept at it, room temp.
Must have had time to dissolve some nasties.

Will try with golden bubble, and I would like to try the "cold" ethanol extraction. I don't know if chilling the alcohol would avoid the color being taken, it disolved and turned the alcohol dark green immediately.

Bubba

All I can say is every time I use Hash regardless of how I extracted it, dry sift
or ice (bubble) hash & extract the oil out @ -40f or colder using Everclear (that’s the hash and Everclear chilled to -40) it comes out nice & golden to golden reddish depending on Trichome “age”.

Latest posts

Back