Making Hash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
So, since I'm harvesting my first plant today, I thought I'd do something with the leaves.

I figured the best option is to make Hash, but I have some things I want to confirm:

1.) I have to use only the sugar leaves, right? The ones that are close to the buds, I mean. The fan leaves are useless aren't they?
2.) Making Hash means removing the trichomes from the leaves, so you're supposed to get rid of the leaves after you harvest the trichomes and make them into hash?
3.) Should I freeze the leaves first, or sift it right after drying?
4.) Is there anything I can actually do with the fan leaves or the leaves I use to make hash instead of throwing them away?

If anyone has any more idea on what to do with the leaves, I'd love to hear recommendations!

Thanks.

1. I use the fan leaves in the hash.

2. Yes

3. Freeze them after they dry. Keep them frozen until ready to make the hash.

4. See #1

I use my trim for edibles. You can make a tincture by soaking the leaves in strong alchohol. everclear if you can get it or bacardi 151. Or proccess it in cooking oil for brownies and such.

I personally have found that the fan leaves simply do not have enough trichs for me to want to use them. IMO, using the fan leaves contributes to more leaf material in the hash than it does trichs--you want as little leaf material in the hash as possible. Leaf material makes the hash taste green and chlorophylly. I put the fan leaves in my composter.

I trim all leaf material I can get off my buds. This goes into a bag and is frozen while still partially wet. When I get ready to make hash, I take the trim out of the freezer, decarboxylate it, and then make hash. No reason to sift it.

Like chaz mentioned, there is a lot you can do with your trim. Sometimes I make edibles, sometimes I make tinctures, sometimes I make hash.

Thanks, guys!

I'm a little unclear about two things, though:

1.) I trimmed an entire 6-foot plant and I have leaf cuttings from top to bottom - sugar leaf, fan leaf, stems, etc. Am I supposed to go in there and take only the sugar leaf? If not, how do I mince the fan leaves so that they're small enough to sift? Should I just put them into a blender or an herb mixer at low speeds?

2.) I thought the process of making hash meant to freeze the trichomes so that they fall off, then sift them out, throwing away the leaves, so how does decarboxylizing it avoid sifting? You still have to separate the trichomes from the leaves, no?

Oh, and how long do I have to freeze it for?

Track--I got this backwards--I need to double check my stuff. I decarb before I put into the freezer. How exactly do you plan on making your hash? I make bubble hash. Do you have bags?

When I trim a plant, I pull all the bigger fan leaves off first and discard them. I then take a branch at a time and trim that well--I really try to take virtually all the leaf material that I can off. Any larger leaves go into the compost bin. The smaller sugar leaves go into the making hash pile of trim.

I don't decarb to the point where the bud is crispy. It is still a little "wilty". I understand not wanting the bud crispy where it flakes and becomes powdery--that is sure to put a lot of leaf material in the hash.

Why decarb it? It decarbs when you smoke it just like weed.

yeah, no decarb here either for hash.

i strip most the big fan leaves first, then trim as usual into a bowl on my lap (easier than separating later ;) )
then straight to the freezer untill i'm ready to make it.

do you have bubble bags though? or are you just going old school? - how do you plan on collecting the trichs?

if no bags, i think i'd recommend oil instead. *iso oil, not BHO.. i'd never recommend that to someone on a forum without knowing their competence/experience ;)

if no bags and hash.. i think you might want to dry the leaves then freeze if you're just basically just sifting it.

Ghetto Bubble is the way to go if you don't have bubble bags.

I made my own bubble bags from silk screen cloth and 5 gallon buckets. Been using them for years.

I don't know what bubble bags are, but I'll look into it.

So, to confirm - no fan leaves in the has; though, a lot of people say they put all the leaves in.

If you have fan leaves with crystals on them you can trim off the part without crystals.

you might consider using those fan leaves in a juicer while they are still moist---supposed to be high in CBD---have yet to try it here but sure beats just composting them cause they sure are a waste of time putting them in with ur material for hash---u might also consider throwing some of the B and C grade flowers into the hash adventure---sure does make an impact on your extraction

I virtually always throw in those little popcorn buds to the hash bag.

To those that make bubble hash and do not decarb, why not?

I virtually always throw in those little popcorn buds to the hash bag.

To those that make bubble hash and do not decarb, why not?

i've just always thought decarbing was more for stuff you're not smoking, like edibles.
figure if you're touching flame to it, no need.

:)

While you do not need to decarb your bud before you smoke it or put it is a solvent, putting it into any kind of non-solvent solution, like water is different. THC exist in bud as THC-A, which is THC with an extra carboxyl group (COOH) attached to the THC molecule. THC-A is not psychoactive and is water soluble. So any time you make bubble hash and do not decarb your trim, you are losing a lot of potential THC that is being dissolved by the water. The process of heating the trim causes the carboxyl group to release the COOH as water vapor and carbon dioxide and leaves THC--something that is psychoactive and is not water soluble. A slow cure will also do the same thing as decarbing, but few people cure trim to make hash. In the same vein, if you are making edibles that you bake, making butter, or anything else in a solvent, decarbing is not necessary.

Its interesting that curing also does the Decarbing process. When I make co2 hash, I allow the trim to dry and cure some before doing my process. For making co2 hash, it is easier if the trim is totally dry. So that it doesn't freeze up while making it. :)

Latest posts

Back