Making it work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
This is more of a thread for those of you who are knowledgeable of the inner workings of hps lighting fixtures.

Alright, here's the deal. A while back, I did some computer work for a buddy of mine's step father. In payment, as he was short on cash, he offered me a HPS fixture... an outdoor fixture. I took it apart, and took the components out of it. I assume I need it all to make the light work. And I figure I'm going to need a cord of some sort as it doesnt have one that plugs into an outlet.

My question is, basically, what am I going to need to do to these components to get the light in working order so that I can use it when I flip down the road? Would it be cheaper and/or easier to just buy a 100w ballast?

-nasty

2012-03-04_19-37-19_498.jpg

I actually left the ballast parts in the fixture. I removed the socket and fed the wires through the mounting hole. I mounted a new socket into a Pyrex bake-around to create a cool tube. I connect the wires from the ballast to the socket with wire nuts.

Security Light 002-1.jpg

My growing space is limited so I'm trying to find another way to mount the light and what not. I don't have any room for that enclosure in the closet. I was thinking about mounting it to a piece of wood with rubber insulation between the wood and the metal bracket that's attached to the socket. Then heatshrinking the wires so I don't have anything bare. I noticed it has a ground and all that, though, which is why I'm asking, really. Maybe I should not be a fool and just take it to my electrician buddy and have him show me how. ^_^

Eventually I'll get to mounting it to a pyrex bakearound cooltube per your diy tutorial, but I'm trying to keep my investments down between now and harvest. After, I'll spend whatever I need to for the next cycle.

-nasty

If you are not certain about electronics and wiring, I would highly suggest that you take it to an electrician or electronics tech. If you make a mistake in wiring it up, it may not light, may blow bulbs, or may smoke the wires and create a fire hazard. Often in commercial systems like that they use universal transformers that can be wired a few different ways, and only one way will work for your given setup. It would be easy enough to run an extended cable from the ballast to the bulb socket so that the ballast can remain outside the grow space. Just make sure you get heavy enough cable (no smaller than a 12 guage wire. The grounding wire is good to connect to the frame of the case as that is for protecting you from the electronics getting shorted to the frame at some point and electricuting you. It is also good for reducing "feedback" oscillations from going out and affecting other electronics.

Maybe I didn't understand what you were asking....I though you wanted to separate the ballast and the socket.....

I do not have the ballast in the grow space--it can be located remotely. I simply removed the socket from the assembly and left all the ballast stuff in the box--that way you do not have to have all that high voltage electrical out in the open. Also, the reflectors on these little units are virtually useless for growing--I really believe that you are going to NEED to remove the socket part and put in a better reflector--you can make on. I used wiring for high heat applications--it seems to be wrapped with a material of some kind. The wires on my cooltubes are 5' long, but you could make them any size you need. I did not solder them because I put the ballast on a shelf above the grow closet and have to feed the wires from the socket to it. You could use some kind of connectors if you did not want to wire nut them together when you used them.

I understand trying to save money, but whatever you spend to improve your lighting is going to pay off in much more bud.

I'm not much into electrical stuff either, but if you just make sure that you pay attention to how things were connected and reconnect the same way, you will be fine. I have redone 1000W ballast components without any problems. Most ballasts now have wiring for other voltages--just pay attention to what you are doing and you will be fine. Removing a socket and locating it remotely just requires the removal of 2 wires and the ground and you reconnect the same way.

Thanks guys! Gonna run the components over to a buddy of mine after I pick up a bag today, smoke one down with him, and force him at knife point to put it back together for me! :D Kidding, kidding... :p

-nasty

I pieced together my first HPS I Found a Fixture at a Local Flea market and My neighbor worked for a maintnance company and he carried replacement bulbs, ballast's, and capacitors for 400 watt HPS's. He sold me 2 bulbs 1 ballast and the capacitor that matched up for $75.00 . WOW I wish I still lived by Him.
Well anyway You need all parts to match up in regards to wattage and HID variety (HPS or MH)
You need a Ballast
You need a Light Socket
You need a capacitor
You need a power cord
You need a bulb
If you have all of the above you should be able to wire it up to work.
Good Luck and if you don't feel comfortable doing it stay safe and have your buddy help you out.
P.S. I hope you mean 1000 because I wouldn't put to much effort into 100 Watts:)

I have 2 150W HPS that I find a lot of uses for. Just because it is a 100W does not mean that it wont help out a lot in a small space like nasty has. Also, he apparantly has all the components. He really just needs to locate the socket remotely from the ballast

I too have 2 150 watters, I use em as side lighting to help the 400 watt hanging in the middle. I can have them at different heights if needed. Also if one of em craps out the others will do until fixed

The 100w is going to be used in conjunction with the 400w HPS I will be purchased. I was misled in purchasing my 400W MH off of craigslist that it was an HPS. Ah well, learn from your mistakes.

-nasty

Latest posts

Back