Making your own homemade nutrients

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozzydiodude said:
hXXp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC99008
damn u read all this :eek: thank u very much :icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile:

Thank you ozzydiodude for the great info you've posted.

Greetings

Ozzy u da the man!
Here is a simple project for mychorizae, get a bag(s) of fine pine bark mulch, cut slits in the bags and leave outside for about 4-5 months or longer the mulch will cultivate the organism then mix into soil or any organics then stand back and watch plants take off, plants will be very hardy and drought tolerant.

Atomic Dog

This could be considered the next step in organic farming. The following recipes are from The Unconventional Farmer ( hXXp://gilcarandang.com/)

Lactobacillus Serum
This is the workhorse of the beneficial bacteria we’ll be discussing here. We use it for everything! Foul odors, clogged drains, cheaper pig/chicken/etc farming, aquaculture, the applications are amazingly diverse. Learn how to make and use this and you will have a powerful tool in your farming arsenal.

How to Make:

Get container, fill halfway with rice-wash. Rice wash is the water leftover when you rinse fresh rice. For example, go buy rice, whatever kind, bring it home, put it in a pot with warm water, swirl it a bit and then drain the [now milky colored] water. The water is now a rich source of carbohydrates. In this step, you can substitute rice with another carbohydrate source if you don’t have rice, as long as it is complex (don’t use simple carbohydrates like sugar, honey, syrup, molasses, etc). You can use wheat, barley, kinoa, other carbohydrates as the base to make your carbohydrate wash. This wash will attract microbes from the air, among them lacto bacilli.
Cover loosely and let stand for a couple days to a week
When is it done? When you see a light film on top (molds) and it smells a little sour and forms 3 layers. This is indicating the rice wash is infected with various microbes. This happens more quickly in warm temperatures because microbes are more active. Thus it is all relative since we don’t do this in controlled laboratory conditions.
The layers are distinct
Top layer: floating carbohydrates leftover from fermentation and possibly molds
Middle layer: Lactic Acid and other bacteria (cheese buffs will recognize this as a makeshift “rennet”). We will use this layer.
Bottom layer: Starch, byproduct of fermentation
Extract the middle layer using a siphon. This layer contains the highest concentration of lactic acid bacteria and lowest concentration of the unneeded byproducts
Get a new container, larger than the first. Take the extracted serum from the last step and mix it with 10 parts milk. By saturating with milk (lactose), we dissuade other microbes from proliferating, leaving L. bacilli. E.G. if you have 1cup of the serum, mix it with 10cups milk.
TIP: The best milk to use in unpasteurized natural milk. However, any milk will do, even powdered milk. In our experience, the best is unpasteurized natural but just use what is available. We just want to saturate with lactose to promote L. bacilli bacteria.

You want to keep this stage anaerobic as much as possible. You can use something like rice bran, barley bran, wheat bran, etc sprinkled on top of the milk. I use a sealed container with a one-way valve.
After about 1 week (temp dependent), you’ll see curds (made of carbohydrate, protein, and fat) on top of the milk. The water below will be yellow colored – this is whey, enriched with lactic acid bacteria from the fermentation of the milk.
NOTE: Microbes like L. bacilli are more active in warmer temperatures. The curds you see are a byproduct of the fermentation process. Fermentation is generally associated with microbial processes under anaerobic(no oxygen) conditions. Now, L. bacilli is a facultative anaerobe, that is it can live and work with or without oxygen, but less competition in anaerobic conditions.

The water below(whey+lacto) is the good stuff. You want to extract this. You can either skim the curds off the top, pour through a strainer, or whatever other methods to accomplish that
NOTE: Remember the curds, or byproduct of milk fermentation by L. bacilli, are great food. They are full of beneficial microbes like L. bacilli. Feed the curds to the soil, compost pile, plants, animals, humans – whoever wants them! They are full of good nutrients/microbes. No waste in natural farming.

To preserve at room temperature, add an equal part sugar/molasses to the serum. So, if you have 1L of serum, add 1kilo sugar or 1L molasses. Otherwise store in fridge to keep.
Example Recipe:

1 L rice wash
10L Milk
10kg sugar
After rice wash and milk remove curds – around 1L
= 20 L lactic acid bacteria serum

Plants – Growth Aid:
When added to water for plants, nutrient uptake efficiency is increased, which increases growth!

Improves growth of plants when applied as foliar spray and soil drench. Improves their efficiency in uptaking nutrients so naturally, growth is enhanced. With the use of these microorganisms, the nutrients you spray or drench to feed your plants become more bio-available and easily absorbable by the plants. Technically, you can say that plants do not use organic nutrients directly. Microorganisms convert organic nutrients to their inorganic constituents which the plants utilize. Utilizing microbes, you will notice better plant growth and health.

Disease Resistance:

This is a consequence of the increased efficiency of nutrients. More nutrients available at smaller metabolic cost.
Lacto suppresses harmful bacteria in food/water that animals consume, enhances their gut flora so that line of defense is working optimally, etc.

Aid Compost:

Mix 2tbsp/L and spray on compost pile to improve decomposition. This is a huge topic that will be expanded upon in another post.

Aid Organic Fertilizer:
Add 1-2tbsp per gallon water-nutrient solution. Lacto consumes organic nutrients making them bio-available to plant roots.

Plants don’t use organic fertilizer! Microbes break it down to inorganic constituents, and plants take those up. This product makes that process more efficient.

Aquaculture:
Lacto works in aquaculture just fine if you don’t have BIM available. Add lacto at roughly 1L per 700m3 of fish-containing water. Example: you have a pond that averages 20m wide by 30m long by 2m deep. So, 20 x 30 x 2 = 1200m3. In this case you would add roughly 1L of BIM or Lacto

Microbes digest fish wastes, cleaning up water and improving water quality.
Allows fish to grow larger due to digestive efficiency
Allows higher population of fish in the same amount of water! Literally, increases the carrying capacity of your body of water! This is awesome for aquaculture setups

This interesting and makes a lot of sense.

I have a question?????

I make kefir a milk product that make whey and curds all the time. I have also fermented grains and cabbage and bread dough. It all works for my health. The question is. Do you think this will work for a starter culture? From what I read here I would think so.

Kefir has 37 know microbes in it that can change dominant culture depending on what you feed it. It adapts to the food it gets.

I am also fermenting manure as part of my nutrient with other microbes to convert the uric acids to nitrogen. Now I am thinking I should add whey to the manure to make things better.

This will be very easy with what I have going on now.

Do you think this will work?

Thnaks

This interesting and makes a lot of sense.

I have a question?????

I make kefir a milk product that make whey and curds all the time. I have also fermented grains and cabbage and bread dough. It all works for my health. The question is. Do you think this will work for a starter culture? From what I read here I would think so.

Kefir has 37 know microbes in it that can change dominant culture depending on what you feed it. It adapts to the food it gets.

I am also fermenting manure as part of my nutrient with other microbes to convert the uric acids to nitrogen. Now I am thinking I should add whey to the manure to make things better.

Thnaks

pcduck is your guy to answer this question

Good posts.

Things can be moved along faster if AEM is used

orangesunshine sent me to you with this question. I hope you have info on this as I would like to try it out. It would be a great addition to my nutrient solution.

I have a question?????

I am also fermenting manure as part of my nutrient for plants with other microbes to convert the uric acids to nitrogen. Now I am thinking I should add whey to the manure to make things better.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back