Male flowers appearing at four and six weeks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaidyed

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just started my 11th outdoor season. I managed to sprout 8 Train Wreck crossed seeds that I found during last year's harvest. I topped them at four weeks. A week after the topping I found male flowers at the topping site joint on three of the eight. Whoa! I have heard about Hermies, and since the plants are so young and immature, I held on to them to see what gives come mid July. I removed the few male flowers I found from all three plants. I'm in week 7 and I inspected them a little while ago to find one of the three with male flowers that had already burst, just a scant two or three. I'm puzzled as the why they are blooming so early. The strain is Train Wreck and it appears to be crossed with some type of Indica strain. Whatever Mother Nature blew my way. Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your time.

Some strains will preflower. Males first then females. Sounds like topping may have stressed the plants enough to cause the preflowering.

It sounds like these were seeds you found in female plants from last year harvest? You have made the assumption that stray pollen caused the seeds, but IMO, it is probably much more likely that these seeds were a result of selfing and not stray pollen. If so, these seeds are genetically predisposed to hermy. Sometimes even the smallest stress can cause them to hermy...like topping. Male flowers can also develop inside buds and you never even see them. You just end up with a fully seeded crop. This is the reason that a lot of us will never ever ever use "bagseed".

It sounds like these were seeds you found in female plants from last year harvest? You have made the assumption that stray pollen caused the seeds, but IMO, it is probably much more likely that these seeds were a result of selfing and not stray pollen. If so, these seeds are genetically predisposed to hermy. Sometimes even the smallest stress can cause them to hermy...like topping. Male flowers can also develop inside buds and you never even see them. You just end up with a fully seeded crop. This is the reason that a lot of us will never ever ever use "bagseed".

Yes, the seeds were found as you described. Thank you very much for replying to my post.

Might be herms... watch out after full bud.

If you see nanners in nuggs= NOT GOOD.

Latest posts

Back