Male or female?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uuzeee

Reaction score
Hola folks,
First time grow and my first test plant is really taking off. As this is regular og Kush seeds, there's a high chance (pun intended) of some being male. I checked online and this looks like male to me or is this too soon to tell?

Attachments

• IMG_20230320_023324_149.jpg
    IMG_20230320_023324_149.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Thanks. Thought as much, slightly disappointed but alas five more on the way, three of which are feminized.
Now that he is flowering, you can remove him from your grow area and put him under a crappy light to let some of those male flowers open. Harvest some pollen and pollinate one bud to get a supply of OG Kush seeds. On the bright side, if the other non-feminized plant hasn’t shown male flowers, the other plant is probably a female since males usually show first(a week plus before you see pistils).

Now that he is flowering, you can remove him from your grow area and put him under a crappy light to let some of those male flowers open. Harvest some pollen and pollinate one bud to get a supply of OG Kush seeds. On the bright side, if the other non-feminized plant hasn’t shown male flowers, the other plant is probably a female since males usually show first(a week plus before you see pistils).
This is brilliant. In the name of science I'll be doing just that.
Have a back up of seeds as well.

This is brilliant. In the name of science I'll be doing just that.
Have a back up of seeds as well.
I put the pollen in old vitamin or prescription bottles with desiccant packs(rice will work too) then use a small paint brush to apply the pollen to the chosen bud. Just keep the pollen dry. My neighbor has one of my plants in a window in her house and it has been pumping out pollen for a few weeks. She just likes the look of the plant. She isn’t ‘growing’ growing. But my point is, the lighting for a male can be pretty lousy and it will continue to live and try to propagate.

Edited because despite me saying I will proof read, I rarely do and the unedited version made seem like a simpleton…

Last edited:
I put the pollen in old vitamin or prescription bottles with desiccant packs(rice will work too) then use a small paint brush to apply the pollen to the chosen bud. Just keep the pollen dry. My neighbor has one of my plants in a window in her house and it has been pumping out pollen for a few weeks. She just likes the look of the plant. She isn’t ‘growing’ growing. But my point is, the lighting for a male can be pretty lousy and it will continue to live and try to propagate.

Edited because despite me saying I will proof read, I rarely do and the unedited version made seem like a simpleton…
Not at all sir, infact I'm starting the research on pollen collection and storage and moving the male out for harvesting. I believe I can start my own dispensary lol. Thanks for the encouragement. As suggested I've got him under lower lighting without the effort of adding reflective mylar in my DIY grow space

Attachments

• 16794628749346422929101397087226.jpg
    16794628749346422929101397087226.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
That should work. 12/12 lighting I am sure. When the flowers start opening, you can just hold a piece of paper under the flower and gently shake or tap the branch the flower is on and the pollen will drop onto the paper along with some of the flower parts. I use tweezers to pick out the flower parts(stamens(I think) and flower covering). Anything but the pollen will have moisture in it and moisture will kill the pollen. I store my pollen along with a desiccant pack in pill bottles in the fridge. Not sure how long it is viable for though. If you are going to pollinate, turn off all fans and use your small paint brush dipped in the pollen to ‘paint’ the pistils/female flower(s) you want to pollinate. I usually put a pipe cleaner around the branch with the pollinated flower on it to easily ID the pollinated bud but it isn’t really necessary. You will see the seeds sticking out of the bud. I pollinate several times. I don’t know that it is necessary but it has worked in the past. Let the pollinated bud mature as long as you can. I like to see brown seeds pushing out of the bract if possible.

Thanks. I'm thinking instead of pollinating a single bud, I'll isolate a female and harvest seeds from the whole plant, this may reduce the risk of pollen spreading to other buds or plants. Also if I like the strain I'll have a wholesome supply of seeds which I'll put in the freezer. Thanks again fogey, appreciated.

Ok so the plant is now in early bloom, I'm still having some doubts about the gender, males shouldn't be getting tricombs like these?

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_131708_621.jpg
    IMG_20230326_131708_621.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230326_131710_148.jpg
    IMG_20230326_131710_148.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230326_131727_237.jpg
    IMG_20230326_131727_237.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back