Male?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunWolf

Student of Life
Reaction score
Hi folks. I posted a few times last year, but ran into RL problems that took me away from growing. I spent that time lurking on your wonderful site and have soaked up tons of information. I'm just now getting back into growing my own meds, and I'm having a grand time of it. I am running a few bag seed babies to make sure I have it down before dropping cash on some good genetics. Everything seems to be going good, happy plants growing quickly!

Which brings me to my plea to you experts out there, is this a male? I had a couple males in my last years grow that looked similar, but this one is much more pointy instead of definitive "balls" that were on last years boys.

Sorry the pictures are so bad, I'm trying to use my point and shoot camera through a jewels loupe and I just can't hold it steady enough.

So, what do you all think?

100_1276.JPG

100_1269.JPG

100_1273.JPG

100_1274.JPG

From the sight. Its looks rather manly. However dont rush it, give it some time you still got a little bit before they pollenate if male.

Hi Sun, as AC said, give it a bit more time. It certainly does look male but I would suggest waiting until you either see more of the same structures (male) appearing or 2 hairs popping out at the end (fem).

JMO W

That is quite the studly specimen.....male for sure. If you are not planning on chucking pollen I wld send him off to his death. Jmo

You can wait but I believe those are balls.....no rush...he won't spew pollen for a bit.

If hairs do come out of that I wld be worried.....then you most likely hve a hermie....those are real nice pics by the way...didn't hve to take a guess with those pics.

Thanks all, that was my thought too. I'll give it a few more days to be sure. No hairs by the weekend, it's off to the compost pile with him!

None of the other 3 have even started showing alternating nodes yet, and I believe I've read males tend to show first. So maybe I'll get lucky and this will be my only male and the rest are female! :)

Hamster Lewis said:
You can wait but I believe those are balls.....no rush...he won't spew pollen for a bit.

If hairs do come out of that I wld be worried.....then you most likely hve a hermie....those are real nice pics by the way...didn't hve to take a guess with those pics.

:yeahthat:

Hmmm...didn't think of that. Well, I guess it's time for composting him. It wouldn't really matter as it's just bag seed to be sure I have it down pat before I start some good genetics. But I surely don't want any stray pollen hanging around in my grow space to get my good girls all knocked up once I get my Blue Mystic and Northern Lights going! :holysheep:

Sucks, it's such a pretty looking plant and already smells very nice. Maybe I'll drop him in our next bonfire and at least enjoy the smell of the smoke! :giggle:

don't toss it yet! Sorry to disagree guys buut... My partner got fooled about ours and thought they were all male and shut them down for 24hours b4 I got there to look at them. interestingly enough, he saw ones that looked just like yers and some that were more advanced and assumed all male. when I got there the next day, I looked at them and found 8 out of the 12 were females that had not pushed out the white hair pairs when he looked at them, but after being shut off for 24hrs they had hair pairs everywhere, and of course the males were really obvious. I am not suggesting yu do the same thing, but yu have several days before they get dangerous (if they are male):) Just keep an eye on them for the next several days.. No offense guys, but I have to disagree. I just have a feeling that isn't male.:ignore: check out this chart at the bottom two plants. The male calyx is on a little stem and the female calyx stays tight against the node. I don't know if that holds true every time but it has for all that I have seen in my short growing experience.:)

Lets try this again...to support my "theory" that this suspected boy may be a girl, look at the bottom of the picture closely and notice that the male calyx is on a stem pushing out away from the node, while the female calyx stays against the pocket of the node.:) Mine did exactly like the picture here, buut, I am relatively new at this, so I wouldn't blame yu if yu go ahead and toss it. But I would like to find out if I am right, if Yu are willing to watch it for a few more days.:)

preflower.JPG

I'm planning to let it go at least till the weekend just too see what it does...and wait for bonfire time! :aok: But as HL said, I am worried that even if it does hair up, it would most likely be a hermie. And since I'm planning to run some Blue Mystic and Northern Lights for my next grow, I don't want to chance any pollen hanging around and causing problems later.

I'll take a couple more pics before I take it down and let you see what turns up.

Yeah yu did say it is from bag beans so if it has to go, it's no big loss. It'll be good learnin experience anyway;) :watchplant: :)

Well, no guessing any more...definitely male! Went to the compost heap since the weather didn't favor us having a bonfire.

I have 3 more, none of whom has shown any signs of balls and are now alternating nicely...I'm going to hold off on going to the flower room for another couple weeks or so. They are only about 12 to 14 inches tall and very bushy so I'm wanting to veg them a bit longer.

Thanks for all the help, you guys and gals are the greatest!

100_1289.JPG

100_1290.JPG

100_1291.JPG

JMO, but i would flower them at 12-14 inches, they are gonna grow 2-3 times that in flower, although this is strain dependant.

Latest posts

Back