Man aims to become licensed Hemp farmer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bojok

EACH ONE TEACH ONE
Reaction score
http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5938635

Man Aims To Become Licensed Hemp Farmer

Jan 15, 2007 08:07 AM EST

David Monson began pushing the idea of growing industrial hemp in the United States a decade ago. Now his goal may be within reach _ but first he needs to be fingerprinted.

Monson plans this week to apply to become the nation's first licensed industrial hemp farmer. He will have to provide two sets of fingerprints and proof that he's not a criminal.

The farmer, school superintendent and state legislator would like to start by growing 10 acres of the crop, and he spent part of his weekend staking out the field he wants to use.

"I'm starting to see that we maybe have a chance," Monson said. "For a while, it was getting really depressing."

Last month, the state Agriculture Department finished its work on rules farmers may use to grow industrial hemp, a cousin of marijuana that does not have the drug's hallucinogenic properties. The sturdy, fibrous plant is used to make an assortment of products, ranging from paper, rope and lotions to car panels, carpet backing and animal bedding.

Applicants must provide latitude and longitude coordinates for their proposed hemp fields, furnish fingerprints and pay at least $202 in fees, including $37 to cover the cost of criminal record checks.

Agriculture Commissioner Roger Johnson said the federal Drug Enforcement Administration still must give its permission before Monson, or anyone else, may grow industrial hemp.

"That is going to be a major hurdle," Johnson said.

Another impediment is the DEA's annual registration fee of $2,293, which is nonrefundable even if the agency does not grant permission to grow industrial hemp. Processing the paperwork for Monson's license should take about a month, Johnson said.

A DEA spokesman has said North Dakota applications to grow industrial hemp will be reviewed, and Johnson said North Dakota's rules were developed with the agency's concerns in mind. Law enforcement officials fear industrial hemp can shield illicit marijuana, although hemp supporters say the concern is unfounded.

North Dakota is one of seven states that have authorized industrial hemp farming. The others are Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana and West Virginia, according to Vote Hemp, an industrial hemp advocacy organization based in Bedford, Mass.

California lawmakers approved legislation last year that set out rules for industrial hemp production, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed it. The law asserted that the federal government lacked authority to regulate industrial hemp as a drug.

In 2005, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, introduced legislation to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana in federal drug laws. It never came to a vote.

Monson farms near Osnabrock, a Cavalier County community in North Dakota's northeastern corner. He is the assistant Republican majority leader in the North Dakota House and is the school superintendent in Edinburg, which has about 140 students in grades kindergarten through 12.

In 1997, during his second session in the Legislature, Monson successfully pushed a bill to require North Dakota State University to study industrial hemp as an alternative crop for the state's farmers.

Canada made it legal for farmers to grow the crop in March 1998. Last year, Canadian farmers planted 48,060 acres of hemp, government statistics say. Manitoba and Saskatchewan, the provinces along North Dakota's northern border, were Canada's biggest hemp producers.

"I do know that industrial hemp grows really well 20 miles north of me," Monson said. "I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be a major crop for me, if this could go through."

©MMVII The Associated Press:rolleyes:

Thats awesome. First hemp. Next Marijuana!

so is hemp the same as weed or not? and why do u need a licesnse if it has no high making material? and can u create a bud-hemp hybrid that would technically be legal?

if you want to see it legal you have to get involved in one of the many movements in this country and become politicaly involved.....I am planning on going back to DC this july 4th for the anual smoke-in......laws need to be rewritten and for this to happen it will take the lehislative body in this country to do it.......find out what politicians are in favor of it and do everything you can do to help that person become elected......thats the only way it will ever happen....

yes Hemp is the official name of the pot plant........

Bubba Bear said:
yes Hemp is the official name of the pot plant........
Last month, the state Agriculture Department finished its work on rules farmers may use to grow industrial hemp, a cousin of marijuana that does not have the drug's hallucinogenic properties.

how can that be the official name if that statement says it has no hallucs? if your smokingf the plant which has hallucs how is that the same thing..? this bullshit has gotta stop..

Hemp is used to make lots of things. There was a massive hemp field local to me (UK). they are pot plants without the buds. my backpack is made from hemp :)

If its not a drug than why do localized terrorist agencies like the D.E.A. feel the need to regulate it? Further more why does it require finger printing? Who passed the law that say's you must have a clean background check...I know a tomato farmer that got a felony dui 27 years ago. Whats the difference in tomatoes and hemp. They bolth hide pot quite well.....

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, that the US was debating regulating Hemp and allowing cultivation, to prevent Marijuana from being grown. Apparently, hemp converts all females into useless plants for smoking purposes. These hemp plants don't have to be near the fields of pot or locations, they can just be in a very large proximity to them and still be effective. It was the new theory on eliminating marijuana grows in the US. I'll see if I can find the article, but this was a while ago.... That means if this guy gets approved, and you have something going near him or down wind... start planning on moving or making your room AIR TIGHT!!!!

as you know there are many types of plants...even the poppy has varieties that dont produce any opium..........hemp..pot....canibis are the same plant.......like mentioned above the male suxs for getting high......it not hard to fing out ..just do a little research...you have it all at that tips of your fingers

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the cultivation and non-drug uses of cannabis. For the biology of the plant, see Cannabis. For use as a psychoactive drug, see Cannabis (drug). For other senses of the word hemp, see Hemp (disambiguation).
U.S. 'Marihuana' production permit, from the film Hemp for Victory. In the U.S.A., hemp is legally prohibited, but during World War II, farmers were encouraged to grow hemp for cordage, to replace manila hemp from Japanese-controlled areas.

Hemp is a common name for Cannabis sativa and the name most used when this annual plant is grown for non-drug purposes. These include the industrial purposes for which cultivation licences may be issued in the European Union and Canada. In the United Kingdom licences are issued by the Home Office under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. When grown for industrial purposes hemp is often called industrial hemp (or industrial cannabis), and a common product is fiber for use in a wide variety of products. Feral hemp, or ditchweed, is wild growing fiber or oilseed varieties of Cannabis that have escaped from cultivation, have naturalized, and are now self-seeding annuals.
Cannabis sativa subsp. sativa is the major hemp crop, while C. sativa subsp. indica has poor fiber quality, and is used for production of recreational and medicinal drugs. The chief difference lies in the amount of delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, secreted in resins from epidermal glands— the strains of Cannabis sativa used for industrial hemp production contain almost none of this resin while other varieties secrete significant amounts. Some botanists dispute these labels and more genetic analysis will be needed to gain consensus.
Contents

[hide]

Latest posts

Back