Managing Plant Counts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBFan

Days of Wine and....Roses
Reaction score
MMJ legalization is imminent in my state :woohoo:

However, the legislation most likely to pass limits a caregiver to 1 patient. It also limits 4 plants under 4' tall and 1 ounce of dried.

I'm excited about growing legally for my friend, but I just can't figure out how to operate within those limits.

I really enjoy growing trees, but it looks like that is certainly out of the question if I want to stay legal.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

bb.. those are ridiculous numbers.."IMO", but... it will open the door. Just make sure you got your foot in it!..;) They're going to "have' to amend those numbers. But in the mean time... :p
The only way "I" see this feasible, would be to get yourself a "weekly cycle" rolling. 4 plants, times 2 (?? you and your friend) harvesting 1(one) plant every week...:confused2:

It isn't very easy to play with those numbers and can get wastefull. I too, ran into problems with trying to stay within the limits. I have a 6 plant limit and by the time my plants were sexed I ended up with only 3 plants and that can be expensive using a 1000w bulb to flower.
This go around, I started 10 seeds in hopes of having 6 plants flowering in the end. I ended up with 10 girls and have to find homes for 4 of them or throw them out. I just hate throwing them out but I can't find anyone to gift them to. I limit who knows about my grow. I did find a home for 1 of them.

niteshft said:
It isn't very easy to play with those numbers and can get wastefull. I too, ran into problems with trying to stay within the limits. I have a 6 plant limit and by the time my plants were sexed I ended up with only 3 plants and that can be expensive using a 1000w bulb to flower.
This go around, I started 10 seeds in hopes of having 6 plants flowering in the end. I ended up with 10 girls and have to find homes for 4 of them or throw them out. I just hate throwing them out but I can't find anyone to gift them to. I limit who knows about my grow. I did find a home for 1 of them.

Man working from seed, I can't EVER see those numbers working. "Autos" ...maaaybe.
From seed, 6-8 weeks just to determine sex. Then another 8 "minimum" to harvest..:confused2:
Trying to germinate and veg seeds on schedule..?? a "tuff row to hoe".. IMO/E
A donor/mother plant and get yourself into a regular schedule of taking cuts, rooting, vegging and flowering is going to be your best options...IMO

Fem seeds will help a lot, but I know, not guaranteed. Clones would be best for that situation, but I've yet to see a clone as beautiful as any of my seed plants...not that I've seen a lot of clones, mind you. I am limited to 12 plants and have fun trying to juggle even those numbers...getting there.

niteshft said:
i also live in maine and am a caregiver and i belong to a caregiver network called CCM( compassionate caregivers of maine). being part of a network like this is very helpful when it comes to keeping within the states guidelines. when you have excess plants or meds someone else needs them and when you need them someone else has them. also CCM has a good relationship with the state and meets with dhhs in augusta at least once a month. and my understanding is that the law is "6 mature plants" witch according to the state means a flowering plant so for 5 patients you can have 30 plants flowering. no limit on vegging plants although they recommend staying under 49 plants total to keep the feds off. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE THIS IS JUST WHAT D.H.H.S. SAYS.

Roddy said:
Fem seeds will help a lot, but I know, not guaranteed. Clones would be best for that situation, but I've yet to see a clone as beautiful as any of my seed plants...not that I've seen a lot of clones, mind you. I am limited to 12 plants and have fun trying to juggle even those numbers...getting there.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=674723&postcount=8 outdoor clones (you have a mis-conception of "clones) clones are an IDENTICAL genetic replica of the donor. If your clones aren't "as beautifull", it isn't "their" fault...;)

and what happens when one of those .."femminised" seeds hermies and ruins 8 weeks worth of plants in your flower room?..
Seeds are NOT the answer to this issue. You are going to 'have' to get yourself a schedule going. And it is likely going to take some trial and error.

I know the arguments about clones are heated, and I respect anyone who differs in opinion, but I have yet to find a single one as big, healthy, robust, vigorous...you name it. I know I've yet to see one get as big and full as the gals I've grown so far...and as I said, I have seen limited numbers of clones, none impressed me.

They may be identical in genetics, now if they'd grow as nicely as seed do. And no, I'll not be changing to clones any time soon, I'll be diligent and keep watching the ladies...

Of course, since you're not allowed monsters anyway, clones might be the ticket for your application!!! :)

Roddy said:
I know the arguments about clones are heated, and I respect anyone who differs in opinion, but I have yet to find a single one as big, healthy, robust, vigorous...you name it. I know I've yet to see one get as big and full as the gals I've grown so far...and as I said, I have seen limited numbers of clones, none impressed me.

They may be identical in genetics, now if they'd grow as nicely as seed do. And no, I'll not be changing to clones any time soon, I'll be diligent and keep watching the ladies...
There is no "heated" argument.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=672133&postcount=8 <-- more clones
I know I've yet to see one get as big and full as the gals I've grown so far".. you just haven't looked...;)

All of those are from clone. All are around 6', exception being the purple plants. Which neared 10 feet and yielded well over a pound each. The others probablt gave up about 12 oz each..:confused2:.. Results are going to be dependant on grower skills, regardless of from seed or cut.

DSC02396.JPG

dsc03286.jpg

dsc03235.jpg

Hick said:
bb.. those are ridiculous numbers.."IMO", but... it will open the door. Just make sure you got your foot in it!..;) They're going to "have' to amend those numbers. But in the mean time... :p
The only way "I" see this feasible, would be to get yourself a "weekly cycle" rolling. 4 plants, times 2 (?? you and your friend) harvesting 1(one) plant every week...:confused2:

Thanks for the responses everyone! All great points.

We should be legal before the year's out, but my friend's current doc is against mmj so that may push things back a bit. The current proposal is for a very limited number of serious conditions; AIDS, Cancer, MS, Chron's.

Yeah Hick, the numbers are ridiculous- and I'm not sure how to make them work. I agree that 1 donor mom and running clones at staggered stages may be the only option. But by the time I get it dried and with a reasonable cure, my friend will have been out for a couiple weeks :eek: .

The soonest I could turn over would be once every 3 - 4 weeks, otherwise I'd have too much curing at one time.

It's certainly going to be a challenge. Guess I should have participated in those micro-grows that 4U2Smoke runs!

LOL Hick, you're comparing apples to oranges...inside grow to outside. As I said in the clone topic, I have 2 from my LSD and 2 from my OG, all coming to me soon enough. I'll do some experiments and will know first hand how they stack up. My same grow skills, my same conditions.

Last edit...sorry to hijack, BB...wasn't my intent!

1 ounce dried? By hanging/curing a single plant you would already be over the limits.
My bet would be that they revise the number limits, and hopefully soon. Those numbers are very tight and will be hard to stay within IMO.

Aside from that, congrats on the prospect of becoming a 'legal' grower!

From what I understand of the topic, growing auto femmed plants, staggered at 2 week intervals is abou tthe only way you could do it.
Keep a mother plant and your plant count is down by 1. Grow a 4ft plant and as soon as you harvest you are over the 1oz limit. Sounds like Catholocism to me, look but dont touch, touch but dont feel, feel but dont enjoy it!!!!! Madness.

Having said that, you will soon have the luxury of legitimacy, no such expectations here in the UK.
Hope it all goes well for ya dude and you work something out.
Stay frosty. W

Did you ever think of not going legal?? In Maine you are aloud 2.5 ounces of dried bud. I could get that off of one maybe two plants so what am I supossed to do with the rest harvest?

Here, a way around the limit is by labeling it with a "when cured" date, not sure if this is an option there. We can have 2.5oz of ready to smoke meds, wet dope can't be burned, so....

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
1 ounce dried? By hanging/curing a single plant you would already be over the limits.
My bet would be that they revise the number limits, and hopefully soon. Those numbers are very tight and will be hard to stay within IMO.

Aside from that, congrats on the prospect of becoming a 'legal' grower!

Hey Doc- I think they need a reality check for sure, but we gotta walk before we run. At this point, I'll take anything I can get. I'm excited about going legit.

maineharvest said:
Did you ever think of not going legal?? In Maine you are aloud 2.5 ounces of dried bud. I could get that off of one maybe two plants so what am I supossed to do with the rest harvest?

Hey Maine- I've been "not legal" all along. But if I can operate legally- I will; then I can be an advocate for change. Can't push for change while hiding in the shadows.

Roddy said:
Here, a way around the limit is by labeling it with a "when cured" date, not sure if this is an option there. We can have 2.5oz of ready to smoke meds, wet dope can't be burned, so....

I really wouldn't want to risk arguing semantics with leo. The proponents behind the legislation don't realize how difficult it will be to do what they propose. Do you really think they'd know the difference?

Just go over. Bound too happen. Too many crazy strains out there. Least you'll have a better defense :)

Latest posts

Back