Marijuana causes global warming, uses 1% of U.S. electricity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandolay

Band!
Reaction score
San Francisco Business Times - by Steven E.F. Brown
Date: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 10:38am PDT - Last Modified: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 10:46am PDT

Read more: Marijuana causes global warming, uses 1% of U.S. electricity | San Francisco Business Times

People growing marijuana indoors use 1 percent of the U.S. electricity supply, and they create 17 million metric tons of carbon dioxide every year (not counting the smoke exhaled) according to a report by Evan Mills, an energy analyst at Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory.
After medical pot use was made legal in California in 1996, Mills says, per-person residential electricity use in Humboldt County jumped 50 percent compared to other parts of the state.
In order to produce some 17,000 metric tons of marijuana this year, Mills estimates authorized growers will use $5 billion worth of energy. That works out to the output of seven big electric power plants.
Much of the carbon dioxide produced by the industry comes from transportation, though the need for lights “500-times greater than recommended for reading” also uses a lot of power and generates a lot of pollution. Air conditioning, ventilation and humidity control also contribute.
In California, some 400,000 authorized growers use about 3 percent of the state’s electricity for their business.
“This corresponds to the electricity use of 1 million average California homes, greenhouse-gas emissions equal to those from 1 million average cars, and energy expenditures of $3 billion a year,” Mills says. However, since California is such a green state, it only generates 20 percent of national carbon dioxide emissions from pot growing, while using 70 percent of nationwide energy for this industry.
“From the perspective of individual consumers, a single Cannabis cigarette represents 2 pounds of (carbon dioxide) emissions,” Mills says.
For this report, which he published independently, Mills says he didn’t count the energy used in producing fertilizer, water, equipment and building materials also used in indoor pot farms.

I was under the impression that the majority of marijuana grown in Hmbolt County was outdoors.

Great thread Art.

"Much of the carbon dioxide produced by the industry comes from transportation, though the need for lights “500-times greater than recommended for reading” also uses a lot of power and generates a lot of pollution. Air conditioning, ventilation and humidity control also contribute."

^I don't get that part. Transportation? Do they mean people driving across town to get a bag? LOL

And what about cows? Globally, ruminant livestock produce about 80 million metric tons of methane annually, accounting for about 28% of global methane emissions from human-related activities. An adult cow may be a very small source by itself, emitting only 80-110 kgs of methane, but with about 100 million cattle in the U.S. and 1.2 billion large ruminants in the world, ruminants are one of the largest methane sources. In the U.S., cattle emit about 5.5 million metric tons of methane per year into the atmosphere, accounting for 20% of U.S. methane emissions.

SO what do we do ? ...lol

url: hxxp://www.epa.gov/rlep/faq.html

7greeneyes said:
And what about cows? Globally, ruminant livestock produce about 80 million metric tons of methane annually, accounting for about 28% of global methane emissions from human-related activities. An adult cow may be a very small source by itself, emitting only 80-110 kgs of methane, but with about 100 million cattle in the U.S. and 1.2 billion large ruminants in the world, ruminants are one of the largest methane sources. In the U.S., cattle emit about 5.5 million metric tons of methane per year into the atmosphere, accounting for 20% of U.S. methane emissions.

I'm thinking.......BBQ.......

cubby said:
I'm thinking.......BBQ.......

Now thats what im thinkin! So let me get this right.......i've smoked ganja since i was nine......that means im resposible for the ozone over....like.....half the united states huh..............:doh: :doh: dam!

Hey The Chef..... I love Burn Notice by the by....

If i remeber correctly the fall of sam axe is on tommorow! watch just fer Fiona though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7greeneyes said:

Hands off my beef!

"Marijuana causes global warming, uses 1% of U.S. electricity"
:**: (The "**" icon is broken)
Wow, that is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. To say that something that uses electricity therefore causes global warming is beyond stupid. Using electricity does not create global warming. The companies that produce electricity cause global warming because of how they produce electricity. If I have a windmill and use it to generate electricity, that is not causing global warming. If I get my power from a coal burning power plant then yes I cause global warming but no i have no choice in the matter. To say that using electricity at all causes global warming is beyond stupid. By that same logic, you could argue that a 2 day old preamture baby hooked up to a ventilator is causing global warming because his ventilator runs on electricity. Governments the world over have allowed electrical companies to operate as monopolies (I can't decide how my electricity is produced). If you want me to stop using electricity then you are up shoot creek without a paddle. Start producing energy in a way that does not pollute or cause global warming or else shut the F up about what I do with the electricity that I pay for.
(Sorry for being bitter, I just hate propaganda based on lies)

Irish said:
>two pounds from something weighing a gram??? :doh: :rolleyes:

hmmm.. I never took you for one to smoke "pinners" there O'Mally :p

cubby said:
I was under the impression that the majority of marijuana grown in Hmbolt County was outdoors.

One in four homes in Arcata (the home of a State University) grows indoor year round. According to "a study" in the news.

28% of global methane emissions from human-related activities

Now that is a lot of people farting. :eek: Save the Ozone don't eat beans!!!! :rofl:

Latest posts

Back