Marijuana-shaped candy alarms parents, officials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roddy said:
All of a sudden, it sounds like I'm being a bad parent for caring...ouch. I'm a horrible person for asking that stores act responsibly? And we wonder how the world got how it is?

This is where my gripe is.....if the store was selling tobacco, MJ, alcohol etc to minors then yeah they need to act responsibly and follow the law....but we are talking about candy packaged and shaped in a way that parents and adults don't like. Well guess what? This is a case where the parents need to be parents. And I don't agree with your reason the world is the way it is now. In fact I believe a lot of the problems with the attitude of our youth is because a lot of parents stopped being parents and want our government to step in and raise their children. Why are my rights so easily trampled on just because parents don't want to do their job?

:yeahthat:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hamster Lewis again.

dang it

NorCalHal said:
Oh....Your that guy.

Yes unfortunately he seems to be that guy.....

Let's trample everyone's rights so that we can baby sit the kids who hve shitty parents.

pcduck said:
Maybe I just believe that people have the right to choose where they go, what they buy, and how to raise their kids, without government interference or other concerned parents telling me what is good and what is not for my kids.

I can remember when video games first came out and supposedly this was gonna be the downfall of our children. Before that it was probably TV but I was not around for that. And we are still here.

Thanks pc for posting this spot on post....exactly my feelings.

Bravo.

One more thing...I don't hve kids right now. Not because I don't think I cld raise them properly but because I don't hve the time in my life right now to raise them properly...so guess what? I didn't hve any and turn to the government to raise them for me.

pcduck said:
They already make them. And I do not see anything in the news about that.

Where are they selling this candy? Not on the store candy shelves...right? No, that's exactly my point. Not in the news because it's not being marketed to the kids.

So, let me be more clear since I guess I left out some....what if they were making the sex explicit candy and your local store had it right smack dab in the middle of the candy isle right at kid level. You know, like what you're saying is OK for this???

We are not talking dildos we are talking a plant leaf. I had to laugh as my kids would tell you that when they were little, if we had this candy we would have had a great conversation about marijuana.

Hamster Lewis said:
This is where my gripe is.....if the store was selling tobacco, MJ, alcohol etc to minors then yeah they need to act responsibly and follow the law....but we are talking about candy packaged and shaped in a way that parents and adults don't like. Well guess what? This is a case where the parents need to be parents. And I don't agree with your reason the world is the way it is now. In fact I believe a lot of the problems with the attitude of our youth is because a lot of parents stopped being parents and want our government to step in and raise their children. Why are my rights so easily trampled on just because parents don't want to do their job?

Answer the sex explicit question please....then put it in the same context as the pot shaped. Simple.

Why is it I say something about speaking out about a store selling candy and you keep coming back to govt?? Do you realize only you and a few others keep bringing them into this whole convo, NOT ME???

Parents...get this now, they often speak to fellow parents about things they perceive to be wrong. Then, the other parents can make up their minds as well and act or not as they feel fit. This is called parenting. Parents will boycott stores if they don't like what's sold, we do this for our kids, not ask the govt to stop the store as you keep eluding to over and over again.

It's called parenting, what I am suggesting being done is called parenting. I said I'd complain about it, I said I'd tell others and I said I'd boycott....damn, guess I'm a parent. And I suggest others do this, and guess what, I'm now a bad guy.

And guess what, you all act like your rights are being trampled on because I want to exercise my right to say no....

Wow

Rosebud said:
We are not talking dildos we are talking a plant leaf. I had to laugh as my kids would tell you that when they were little, if we had this candy we would have had a great conversation about marijuana.

Maybe, Rosie.

It could also lead to kids trying it.

Since I have adult kids, maybe I can speak to that.
If a piece of candy makes kids try pot, the candy is not their biggest problem. My daughter tried it for the first time at age 21 and was in NYC when she did.. what a memory. She told me about it. That is what i would have wanted for her. My son is so straight it is silly. Candy will not make people smoke pot.
Although, i did love those candy cigarettes. And i did smoke for a while..hm...lol

Now, I'll make it clear as I had said before, no this isn't a huge deal. Not the end of the world, no biggie at all, really. It's sad some would do this and even sadder yet they'd market this way (I'm beginning to think it's more to target the smoker who is gullible enough to believe buying a bag is in some way going to promote legalization LMAO).

I would, as I said, complain to the store, let my friends with small kids know and would tell my own not to go to that store. I'd be a parent and lead by example, not complain it were there and then ignore it as if it'll go away on it's own. I'd also speak to my kids should the topic come up. And no, it wouldn't be the candy of choice at my house come Halloween...unless we were having an adult party and they were made with special ingredients :)

None of this would include govt anything, btw :)

Rosebud said:
Since I have adult kids, maybe I can speak to that.
If a piece of candy makes kids try pot, the candy is not their biggest problem. My daughter tried it for the first time at age 21 and was in NYC when she did.. what a memory. She told me about it. That is what i would have wanted for her. My son is so straight it is silly. Candy will not make people smoke pot.
Although, i did love those candy cigarettes. And i did smoke for a while..hm...lol

Imagine your 13 or so child (let's say a girl for this case) is with friends, they see a bag of this candy and think it's funny so they buy. As they're sharing, a kid comes up and says he has the real mccoy, why play with the kid stuff. Kid pressure pushes and it leads to.....

My thirteen year old daughter knows the difference between candy and pot. All you can do is arm your children with knowledge. It works.

Rosebud said:
My thirteen year old daughter knows the difference between candy and pot. All you can do is arm your children with knowledge. It works.

It's not about knowing the difference, and arming with knowledge does work, but only so far. Sure, your 13 yr old knows the difference, but when pressure is on, will that stop her from giving in?

Rosebud said:

hmmmmm....thinking back to when I was teen, drinking was the thing then
Yep, I was told not to, I was told the dangers and all that good stuff...I also remember the first time I got drunk....was still a very young teen lol. Were my parents bad? Did they fail? No, I was just being a teen...

Yes, because candy wont change whether or not they will try it if a different kid busted out the real deal.

My main thoughts following this thread, but not posting yet. In my personal opinion, it's a candy with "weed" references that I assume some profits go towards the legalization movement. A: if a candy changes some kids mind whether or not to try mj, they had bigger problems that need to be dealt with. B: I would think, from a person that supports the legalization of this beautiful plant, that a package like this would actually be an ice breaker TO TALK TO YOUR KIDS about it, instead of trying to keep blinders on them and shelter them from it. If they're too young to have that talk, or know what it is, then it doesn't matter if they see it. If they are old enough to know what it is, that's the perfect opportunity to have that talk. Are you just planning to ignore a very big thing from your kids until they're 18 they say, have at it. Or just lie to them that its wrong, or bad, and yet grow it and smoke it yourself? I'm just not comprehending.

Rosebud said:
Thank you for making sense Rose....

Roddy said:
It's not about knowing the difference, and arming with knowledge does work, but only so far. Sure, your 13 yr old knows the difference, but when pressure is on, will that stop her from giving in?
You're right lets not take any chances.....trampling the rights of everyone else is the way to go.:rolleyes:

An actual Parent who actually raises their kids hands on and doesn't b!tch and moan for the government to Ban and outlaw things will know the answer like Rose did. Here is something that might blow your mind. Parents can actually raise children that make the right choices FOR THEMSELVES and there is no need for the government to get involved. Guess what? When it is done this way the rest of our rights are not stepped on. I am sorry that lil Billy in Some Town, USA has horrible parents who let him run around unsupervised and he wanders into some 7-11 selling candy in the shape of MJ leaves....but maybe I want to buy that candy at that 7-11. Go find lil Billy's degenerate parents and do something with them instead of taking away the rights of other citizens.

Glad you jumped in Ston, but what makes you think I haven't already had several talks with my kids? I wouldn't need a bag of candy to break the ice, I'm much more proactive than that!

Tell me this, did you listen to your parents? Never tried any drugs, never drank?

Hamster Lewis said:
Thank you for making sense Rose....

You're right lets not take any chances.....trampling the rights of everyone else is the way to go.:rolleyes:

An actual Parent who actually raises their kids hands on and doesn't b!tch and moan for the government to Ban and outlaw things will know the answer like Rose did. Here is something that might blow your mind. Parents can actually raise children that make the right choices FOR THEMSELVES and there is no need for the government to get involved. Guess what? When it is done this way the rest of our rights are not stepped on. I am sorry that lil Billy in Some Town, USA has horrible parents who let him run around unsupervised and he wanders into some 7-11 selling candy in the shape of MJ leaves....but maybe I want to buy that candy at that 7-11. Go find lil Billy's degenerate parents and do something with them instead of taking away the rights of other citizens.

Well Hammy, guess you can't read, really thought you were more capable than that. Sad, really sad...

Roddy said:
Now, I'll make it clear as I had said before, no this isn't a huge deal. Not the end of the world, no biggie at all, really. It's sad some would do this and even sadder yet they'd market this way (I'm beginning to think it's more to target the smoker who is gullible enough to believe buying a bag is in some way going to promote legalization LMAO).

I would, as I said, complain to the store, let my friends with small kids know and would tell my own not to go to that store. I'd be a parent and lead by example, not complain it were there and then ignore it as if it'll go away on it's own. I'd also speak to my kids should the topic come up. And no, it wouldn't be the candy of choice at my house come Halloween...unless we were having an adult party and they were made with special ingredients :)

None of this would include govt anything, btw :)

Hammy, where am I trampling any rights? Can you point even ONE out to me??? PLEASE????

I'd say you're trying to keep this govt thing up to get under my skin, I'd have to believe this because the other reason...well, I have to believe you're smarter than that.

Don't stop with this post, by all means, read ALL of my posts. Tell me, where have I said I was going to try to shut down any stores, go to my local govt and demand change or ANYTHING of this nature....I DEFY YOU, my friend.

Oh, but that'd mean reading....now wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back