Mars II 300W vs Mars II 400W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha Rose...he said 8 harvests a year in that room which is impossible. Steep Hill...shanagins again...

Now, before anyone jumps me, I am impressed with LED tech for sure. They have come a long way and impressive results. With that said, I do not think they are at Commercial level yet.

My take on the Vid. One, they are running their room super inefficient. The room design and row placement are killing their yield. They are also under utilizing their DE HPS. I cover a 5x6 area with mine, so, on a 20' row, I use 4 1000DE and hit 10+ per row, and that has been with low yielding strains (GSC). I have not run a higher yielder yet, as the market wants cookies. running a DE over a 4x4 area is a waste, imo. You are losing the power of the DE.

Cost. At 3k a 1200 LED set up, that is just plain crazy right now. It would cost 15k to light up a 20' row that is only 4' wide, where I can now run DE's that will cost me 2k, and I will get a bigger area( not too much bigger but equates to a few lb's extra).

So financially, they just don't make sense yet, at least for me. The power savings would take years to equal out in a big set up.

Again, don't get me wrong, I think LED is here to stay and they will have their place in commercial ops in the future. Right now, DE's are ruling the commercial world and most commercial growers are just now starting to play with them.

For the DE's, room design and placement is a key factor in using these fixtures. For commercial growers that are smart, it is not about the gpw, it is about the Grams per square foot produced, no matter how you light it. Does that make sense? It is early and I havn't smoked yet..haha.

BTW...no one wants blue dream haha.

THG
I keep my (COB) lights 12" - 14" off the highest point of the plant and have had -0- problems.
I have had bleaching when I tried to go 8-10" off the main cola (non-topped plant experiment)

:48:

The Mars lights are certainly not the most powerful of the LED's I'm sure, but as PJ mentioned.. for the price point, they seem great. Either way, I'm able to keep mine 10" off of the main colas and around 14" average off the rest of the shoots, and I have seen 0 bleaching so far. I'm nearing week 8.

Haha Rose...he said 8 harvests a year in that room which is impossible..

Me? I'm confused NorCal.. at least on this bit.

As for the rest, thanks for chiming in and giving your thoughts on this Hal! Great to hear it from your scale and thoughts. :aok:

so the DE is by how much superior to SE HPS? you can say it is 10% better in yield?

Ive heard good things about the DE's. Got to look into those. I also think LEDS Have come along way, and have there place in the Growing Community.

Soon MP will be CALLED ,,,PJ'S Passion. Lol
jim-carey-shock.gif

I know,,right. Lol

Thats ppl who dont use LEDS RIGHT PJ? Someday ill be as smart as you Bro,,gonna take some time though. Have patience with me.

And by the way PJ,,I think you are an Excellent Grower,,and when it comes to LEDS your the man. i have told ppl PJ is the guy to ask about how and what to look for in LEDS,,so i am not someone who is out to prove you are wrong. HELL, I hope these Leds are the future and can replace all these hot *** Amp sucking lights. They have come along way since i first seen them. Im all for EVOLUTION. I just dont think they are ready to replace Hps Yet. Growers like NCH are prove of that. I do think they could be mixed though,,maybe that would be cool way to get more color the plants like.

hey folks, and PJ too.. lol....
well slomo's auto's turned out so nice under the apollo Led's.
and it seems since PJ kind of gives these Mars the thumbs up.
i went ahead and bought the Mars II series 1200 watter. for my little 4 x 4 flower room.
the specs. say it is good for a 4.5 x 4.5 room, so i figured instead of getting the 900 that is suppose to do a 4 x 4 i would make sure...
I currently have a couple physco crack's in the flower room under the 1K..
they are monsters, so i will wait untill next cycle to put up the 1200 led and i think i will then run 4 smaller ladies and see what happens.

For a 4x4 PJ suggests having overlapping, multiple, smaller fixtures, instead of one big fixture.

Just tossin' that out there :D I almost got one big fixture for my 4x4's as well.

DGF is right. You might want to see if you can change the order to several smaller ones. I was looking at multiple fixtures, but he said that my space is just small enough at 7 sq ft that I could use one fixture. Bigger than that and you want multiple fixtures, as LEDs do not have the footprint of the HID lights.

Oh Poo!-O
well,,, i do still have 3 of the 5 Apollo's i bought a few years back that PJ suggested the spectrum...
so i can use those to overlap...
i was just thinking bigger then needed (kind of like HPS) would be better.
and since my room is really a tad under 4 x 4 i thought the 1200 would be the perfect light...

Me? I'm confused NorCal.. at least on this bit.

As for the rest, thanks for chiming in and giving your thoughts on this Hal! Great to hear it from your scale and thoughts. :aok:

Haha Doc...no sir..not you. The cat in the Vid said he harvests that room 8 times a year, I call **. No way you can get that many clicks in a year.

Oh Poo!-O
well,,, i do still have 3 of the 5 Apollo's i bought a few years back that PJ suggested the spectrum...
so i can use those to overlap...
i was just thinking bigger then needed (kind of like HPS) would be better.
and since my room is really a tad under 4 x 4 i thought the 1200 would be the perfect light...

Yeah, I had figured that bigger was better, too, but those LEDs are a different ballgame. You trim your plants differently, you feed them differently and the light needs to be a ways away from the canopy rather than as close as we can get it.

There is still a lot of hype about what a light will cover, too. He recommended a 700W for 7.1 sq ft.

I know,,right. Lol

Thats ppl who dont use LEDS RIGHT PJ? Someday ill be as smart as you Bro,,gonna take some time though. Have patience with me.

And by the way PJ,,I think you are an Excellent Grower,,and when it comes to LEDS your the man. i have told ppl PJ is the guy to ask about how and what to look for in LEDS,,so i am not someone who is out to prove you are wrong. HELL, I hope these Leds are the future and can replace all these hot *** Amp sucking lights. They have come along way since i first seen them. Im all for EVOLUTION. I just dont think they are ready to replace Hps Yet. Growers like NCH are prove of that. I do think they could be mixed though,,maybe that would be cool way to get more color the plants like.

If I was a home grower, I would be using nothing but LED at this point. To me, LED's have proven their worth and PJ's grows show that you can grow top notch dank with them and have great yields.

All I am saying is that commercially, the price point is simply too high to be feasible.

As far as that Vid, I can guarantee that you could eliminate at least 1-2 DE's per row and achieve the same results, which in turn would significantly increase the yield if you want to judge it by GPW.

Grow style is a HUGE factor. PJ hits mad weight with his lights, not only because of the light, but because of his style and dedication to a grow.
There are SO many factors in growing dank, lights are just one part.

I couldn't agree more, Hal. "There are SO many factors in growing dank, lights are just one part."

Good post NCH. A Gentleman and Great Grower.

Picked up a couple of MarsII 400's tonight since I have not tested one yet and recommend them to people all the time based pretty much on others experience and because they are cheap.

Going to run them head to head with one of my lights and see how they fair.

Thread coming when the GG4 finishes.
:48:
Would you believe they already arrived?

They must have the things in all corners of the US.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Would you believe they already arrived?

Yep! I wouldn't believe if you waited over 2 days. Seriously PJ, 4 people followed suit and bought the same ones right after me and after following along my thread. Brix, Schoolboy .. a couple others... and we ALL got our lights in about 2 days LOL :rofl:

Please, let me know any and everything you think about them. And... if you feel bad that you made me buy them, I'll gladly trade you these lights for some of yours... LOL

Ohhh I crack me up :D

was thinking of getting a new 1000w cooltube for my 4x4 tent, I am glad I read this thread.....I think i might hand mars some of my hard earned $$

Latest posts

Back