Mason jars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BROMAN

GROWIN n LEARNIN
Reaction score
How mch can you get int a 1/2 gl mason jar? What do you bigger growers use besides jars to cure in? plastic buckets maybe ? I bought 3 hygrometers 1 per plant. I dont want to buy more..

You don't have to buy more meters. I just use them in the jars to get a general idea. Every 2 days, I may toss them around other jars. Also, I don't ***** foot around with small jars. The "standard" mason jar will get you 1OZ. I use 5L Bormioli Rocco Rido swivel top jars. I can get 4 - 5 OZ's in there comfortably. When I have a 2 LB harvest, that ends up being 8 of my 5L jars. My jars are $8.00 each from my Kitchen Store (45 min drive) or you can order them.

th

Wally World has similar jars in 3 sizes. These jars work great. Had one that was bought in 1972 to use as a weed jar. Wife accidently knocked it off the table and broke it. Damn it.

I have dried and cured hundreds of plants and have never used a hygrometer once.

Agreed. In my opinion I think that you would want at least a gallon sized jar, that's what I use. Only fill it 3/4 full, buds don't like to get cramped and it will cause a "spotty" cure.

Have used the Boveda humidity packs (62%) for a couple of years now. Really like them as they adjust the humidity, up or down to keep it at 62%. When the pack gets hard just replace it with a fresh one. Have weed over a year old that`s as good as when it was first cured.

I use large Protein powder containers as well as large glass mason jars. Actually just bought 2 plastic containers from the dollar store.

Like the glass ones better, they`re easier to clean.

Yeah I was eyeing those big jars at the mart. Shopping there makes me feel guilty lol. I here you doc about switching the hygrometer. Yoopers I've heard about the boveda packs maybe I will cop one or whatever for a comparison. You still have to burp your jars though? I was in the dollar store eyeing containers too Mr Lewis. D straight newbie here I'm just trying to get it as right as I can. I almost can't stand the waiting anymore. I know my wife can't. She's going to be so angry when I start right back up. Im figuring how to tweek the setup for the better and pricing the supplies I need to replenish. Copping a ble lab truncheon and pH meter too. I haven't smoked in over a year.. I figure by the time the dry and cure are done I'll have a new gig and Mary and I can resume our relationship. Old girl gave me a gandalf pipe for my bday I'm waiting to try and I'm looking at the deluxe pinnacle pro vape. The buds are so hard and frosty. I've got no experience eyeballing plants but I do with dry weed and I'm thinking about 12 oz between the 2 cotton candies and the scrogged strawberry blue (fimmed early and heavy LST). BBB.. Bubble bags and butter.

You still have to burp the jars.. that has more to do with "off gassing" when you're in the cure zone (55% - 70%)

Have used the Boveda humidity packs (62%) for a couple of years now. Really like them as they adjust the humidity, up or down to keep it at 62%. When the pack gets hard just replace it with a fresh one. Have weed over a year old that`s as good as when it was first cured.

Tangie Dank and I went to youngster dam yesterday. He grabbed some of those packs 62%. Thinking I should have also

i would pay for glass mason jars. curing weed in glass is best, i would never cure in plastic but thats just me. plus, you buy these things once, as long as you don't break them

Yeah, glass all the way for me. I've seen people use the plastic ones and hey, if it works then it works right? :)

Gimmie the read deal Fido jar please! :D

Let me tell you a story. A friend i was mentoring was growing her first crop. I use gallon jars too. She got this HUGE jar and I told her not to use that as it was too big. Did she listen no, her whole huge jar molded and she is mad at me. lol don't go too big.

you might get your hands on discounted mason jars in discount shops. i remember getting 2Liter jars for 2$ on a CRAZY SALE DAY

Let me tell you a story. A friend i was mentoring was growing her first crop. I use gallon jars too. She got this HUGE jar and I told her not to use that as it was too big. Did she listen no, her whole huge jar molded and she is mad at me. lol don't go too big.

How big we talking ?

Agreed. Larger is not better when it comes to drying or curing. All my bigger jars and canisters have strains that i have been running a while in. I tend to hang dry my crop or even sometimes on the easier to trim cuts I will let them just dry as is in a dark room with good air movement. Then come back and do my clipping and trimming and then the buds will go into some of the bigger jars I have to further dry and also re-hydrate some of the older buds in the jar/canister. I have been doing this for a long time with my Larry OG cut. I check on the fresher buds and will stir them a bit every couple days. I would not recommend this for new growers. Too easy to get moldy buds.

I agree with Rose and Hammy. I use Ball jars for all of it. I cure in the 1/2 gallon size. I fill it about 1/2 way so I can tumble the buds as they cure. Each one, filled half way will yield about an ounce when cured. Sometimes when I burp them, I lay them on their side and tumble the buds so they lay in a nice loose layer. They burp real nice that way.

After they cure a few weeks or more, I swap them to the quart jars. I'm anal so I like to weigh one ounce per jar. It usually fits just sweet with enough room for a Boveda on the bottom and a Boveda on the top. Although, I think I am going to switch from the 62 to the new 69.

OK now I'm scared. I would be heart broken if my bud molded Ms. Rose. So go with glass 1/2-1 gallon with no more than 1-2 oz per jar? So most don't use hygrometers? Will bovedas help avoid mold altogether? I'd drive 45min for $8 bormiolli jars. I can't find them anywhere for close to that GF. Headed back to the mart.

Boveda packs will help keep the moisture up, more so than bring it down... at least from what I've read online (here mostly).

Don't want your stuff to mold? Pop your jars and off gas / toss around...every day. At least for the first 2 weeks, or just watch your hygrometers if you have them. After that, you can burp every few days etc.. just watch RH and don't be silly, and you shouldn't get mold. At least, this pertains to the North East section of the US...as my RH, and many conditions, probably attribute to me never getting mold. :aok:

Latest posts

Back