Massproducer's Coco buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A weak solution of Big Bloom and then plain water. They are picking up a little better today. I lifted the light to about 3' above them and increased the humidity in the closet. We will see what happens. Im willing to bet I don't make that mistake again ;)

The plants are doing much better. I wrote earler either in my journal or in this one that I did a little lollypopping and haven't watered them in 4 days. I have been misting them and that has really helped them out. The ph is still 6.8, I am going to do some research on lowering it to around 6.0 - 6.2. Maybe by tomorrow morning they will get just a little bit of water to see how they react.

I have decided against using my tap water anymore until I get an RO system after new years. My ph is 8.0 and my ppm is through the roof. The brand of distilled water I buy has a ph of 6.3 and the ppm is nearly non-existent. The plants are beginning to perk up well, in a few days I will give them some food. I have started 12/12 they are on their 3rd day of it. The Northern Lights have been FIM'd since they will be much bigger than the Aurora Indica, and I only have 7' of closet height.

hey godspeed..10 days since last pics,,could you please throw up some new pics..Im takeing in all I can on these coco buckets..mass man should be back soon..Im very interested in this method..Thanks:)

The short squat buggers are Aurora Indica and the 2 more sativa like are Northern Lights. You can see they are still recovering a little from the ph fluctuation and over watering but I do believe we are on the road to buddage soon ;)

Growth is stunted a little due to my mistakes, I think by next week they will have a huge improvement.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

godspeedsuckah said:
The short squat buggers are Aurora Indica and the 2 more sativa like are Northern Lights. You can see they are still recovering a little from the ph fluctuation and over watering but I do believe we are on the road to buddage soon ;)

Growth is stunted a little due to my mistakes, I think by next week they
will have a huge improvement.

Thaught you couldnot over water in these buckets? and They are in the stretch point of flower..looking forward to next weeks pics..KEEP M GREEN:D

4u2sm0ke said:
Thaught you couldnot over water in these buckets? and They are in the stretch point of flower..looking forward to next weeks pics..KEEP M GREEN:D

Well you can overwater. I have learned that coco not only holds ALOT of water but it retains it longer than soil does too. I am having a tough time getting use to them but I think they will work out good. After the reveg I will be doing a couple clones in Ocean Forest as well.

wasnt impressed with Ocean Forest soil..JMO..dont nobody go a bashing on me now..Like I said I am still learning this method..and waiting for mass man to step in..I know coco retains moister..did you happen to use to much in the "Layering" proccess? I am putting one togather now to practice my self..and it seems to me that the top two Layers really only get a lot of coco..top "Layers mostley amendments?..Like I said Im still researching and Fallowing along here..thanks

I measured the coco with a 1 pound butter dish. My first layer was 2 scoops of perlite. Next layer was 1.5 scoops perlite and .5 scoop of coco. Next layer was 1 scoop perlite, 1 scoop coco with 1 cup worm castings, .5 cup alfalfa meal, 2 tablespoons steamed bone meal. Next layer was .5 scoop perlite 1.5 scoop coco with 1.5 cup worm castings .5 cup alfalfa meal and 1 tablespoon steamed bone meal. Next layer was .25 scoop perlite 2.5 scoops coco 1 cup worm castings, .5 cup alfalfa meal, sprinkle coffee grounds and .5 tablespoon bone meal. Last layer was less than half the ammendments with just a tiny bit of perlite and all coco.

I think my biggest mistake is I did not squeeze the excess water out of the coco before I layered it and watered afterward. I think coco is awesome to grow in, I just had to fix the problem I created.

Now the problem here was not the coco it was your plugged drain holes, i really do not think it is fair at all to say that the coco caused your problems or my bucket design contributed to the problem... Coco does not hold excess water, it holds just enough, not to much and not too little, the only time you can overwater these buckets is if the drain holes are not big enough and plug so that the water can not drain, which the pvc pipe in the drain hole did.

Your plants are starting to perk back up, they are actually looking rather good, but don't bash the buckets or coco because either caused this problem.

massproducer said:
Now the problem here was not the coco it was your plugged drain holes, i really do not think it is fair at all to say that the coco caused your problems or my bucket design contributed to the problem... Coco does not hold excess water, it holds just enough, not to much and not too little, the only time you can overwater these buckets is if the drain holes are not big enough and plug so that the water can not drain, which the pvc pipe in the drain hole did.

Your plants are starting to perk back up, they are actually looking rather good, but don't bash the buckets or coco because either caused this problem.

WOW relax. I wrote that "I think coco is awesome to grow in, I just had to fix the problem I created." Nobody is bashing anything, and I do not appreciate your very aggressive attitude over this. I created the problem and it is being fixed, it isnt a flaw in your design or a problem with the coco; and yes I do believe that it is possible to over water coco because when completely saturated it can retain an awful lot of moisture for a longer period of time than soil can. I am stating a fact not bashing this design.

Just a thought, You keep saying "dripping out" and the water/nutes comes squirting out of my buckets and i only have a quarter inch hole...could your all perlite layer be below drain hole rather than slightly above it? dont know if it would matter just seems like your water should be pourin outta the hole:confused:

Yeah the perlite is above the hole and they are working fine. I for some reason thought I should have 1/2" pvc sticking out of the hole to help with the draining so I wouldn't have perlite coming out. It worked with the pvc just not as well as when I took it out.

When you water the buckets do you water them until the excess is coming out the hole? I just saturate the buckets but not until the water is coming out.

godspeedsuckah said:
When you water the buckets do you water them until the excess is coming out the hole? I just saturate the buckets but not until the water is coming out.
I always make sure i see it comin out since I drowned one;) The 3gal take about 32oz a day with maybe 6-10 comin back out. I'm gettin excited, almost time to harvest my first MCB:hubba:
View attachment 88762

I will do that lyfr, thanks. I think a part of the problem I was having is my tap water (well water) ph is over 8.0; until I get an RO system I will just use distilled ph'd at 6.3. Nice Buds :)

You said that your 3 gallon takes 32oz per day. Is the surface of the coco dry before you water or do you just water daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back