Massproducer's Coco buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all good godspeed, I just took exception to the remark that these buckets definately can be overwatered, which i just will dispute... With no problems with the drain hole, you can not overwater these buckets or coco in itself... You can, and i do totally saturate my coco almost everyday, so that the water builds up on top for a very breif second, and then it totally drains, it comes flying out of the drain hole... the coco DOES NOT even get mucky like soil does, it is more like a self regulating sponge, where it takes what it can handle while the excess just flows through with no chance of being absorbed

If you can understand why i would get somewhat upset and correct what I think was a slight mispreception then I don't really know... it took a lot of research and hard work to come up with and test my buckets, and I have no problem with any problems that we as a community can work through but to just say they can be overwatered when there was a deviation from the original design is not fair, especially if this is being said to someone contemplating running these buckets... I admitt i really shouldn't have flew off so quick but understand these are my babies and as such I am the only one that can truly defend them whole heartedly...

But my bad, happy growing

Hey MP ya might have made a mistake but they are bouncing right back and looking good. ;)

hey MP and everyone useing MP buckets, i just wanted to share this with everyone theyre called earth box's... heres a link to theyre website,and they explain the earthbox
hxxp://www.earthbox.com/consumer/instructions.html#stepone..
i thought theyre were a couple intresting things on earthbox that could benefit MP coco buckets also.
heres a couple ideas that i stole from my moms earthboxes
Eb uses a feed tube this tube goes down into the reservoir and i think it must help exchange the old stale water faster
Eb uses black tarp so you have no soil showing, creating less insect problems
EB uses rectangle boxes
again from what i read theyre is nothing wrong with MP coco buckets, these are just simple suggestions.

ive never grown mj in this design but i do have to water moms garden every month when shes gone, so i do use these earth box's just not on a normal basis.

massproducer said:
Its all good godspeed, I just took exception to the remark that these buckets definately can be overwatered, which i just will dispute... With no problems with the drain hole, you can not overwater these buckets or coco in itself... You can, and i do totally saturate my coco almost everyday, so that the water builds up on top for a very breif second, and then it totally drains, it comes flying out of the drain hole... the coco DOES NOT even get mucky like soil does, it is more like a self regulating sponge, where it takes what it can handle while the excess just flows through with no chance of being absorbed

If you can understand why i would get somewhat upset and correct what I think was a slight mispreception then I don't really know... it took a lot of research and hard work to come up with and test my buckets, and I have no problem with any problems that we as a community can work through but to just say they can be overwatered when there was a deviation from the original design is not fair, especially if this is being said to someone contemplating running these buckets... I admitt i really shouldn't have flew off so quick but understand these are my babies and as such I am the only one that can truly defend them whole heartedly...

But my bad, happy growing
geez Mass, your always jumpin on everyone:rolleyes: ;) , my limited experience with MP buckets reflects this exactly. I do water mine atleast 5-6 times a week, till i see water squirt out. I kinda thought i had to water them every day to airate...and like the rockwool...if you can't overwater why not blast em' with some fresh each day:)

godspeedsuckah said:
You said that your 3 gallon takes 32oz per day. Is the surface of the coco dry before you water or do you just water daily?
This is in flower for the record...and surface is not totally dry each day. I made kindof a little mote that circles plant, maybe2in wide and a half in deep, that stays wet but the rest dries.

I will start watering them how both you and mass water yours. I wasn't sure if I should run that much through but now I can see it will be fine. I will stock up on my distilled tonight and get to it tomorrow morning.

My apologies massproducer, now I understand the concept. It takes a while for something to sink into my head. I take back what I wrote, you really CANT overwater these buckets. I just ran 4 gallons of distilled water (ph 6.3) through the buckets until 10 - 15% run off occurred and checked on them a few hours later and those plants have not been happier!! I was treating them like a soil grow when they are not soil at all, they really are hydroponic. Now I need to invest in an RO machine soon, I never realized how much water they actually need this way. I will be investing in distilled until I can get an RO system.

no apologies needed, trust me it is a learning curve for us all, i think that once you get the waterings down, you will really like these, because it really does bring hydro and soil together...

I am happy to see everything seems to be working better for ya now, just wait until they really take off, and ya start seeing the root hairs growing up throught the coco, i think that is one of the coolest things i have ever seen because roots usually grow with gravity, but coco can even defy gravity, mahhaahaa, lol

I was off to a bumpy start but I really believe they are going to be twice the plants next week. I will put pics up tomorrow and you can see the difference in just a couple days. I need to start fertilizing now, I will use Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, open sesame and molasses shortly; next watering. I do feel like it is all coming together now ;) Should be a real good winter :) Thanks.

I checked on my plants this morning and the growth rate is unbelievable; I have not seen this much growth ever in previous grows. Tomorrow they will get 1/4 strength feeding with 3 tablespoons molasses. I will post pics tonight, you never would guess they are the same plants.

they are fricken crazy wait til u get 6" plus in one day! no joke. think ill though pics up thur @ 8wk. ur in for a ride. ive multiple colas @ 12-14". only thing is b prepared 4 jungle growth. next time ill keep in mind cause im limited to 3x3x5 area of grow area & im beyond maxed w/ 6 - 2.5gal bucks. they are actually choking eachother out.:( in a month or so im doing a scrog w/ nirvana citral, after i do some mods & cleaning. keep ur eyes peeled 4 GJ.

I wrote this morning that I could not believe the growth overnight. I finally understand how the system works and am installing an RO system in my house tonight so I can take full advantage of these buckets and save me som $$ with distilled water. I did not water them today but I will be tomorrow morning. This is just 1 day after a good leeching with distilled. They are going to amaze me!!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I grew this a while back after first running across Hempys bucket. The res was filled with hydroton or expanded clay balls. The medium above the res was just Promix with added myco. White Rhino is the strain. I couldn't believe this lil container grew such a monster:eek:.

attachment.php

11/17 Monday

Hey mass man…been Fallowing along as you Know …well I have decide to give one a try Now. .I used a cat Liter container ..I find that these and Grow bags fit my setup the best.and their will be minimum Altercations to my Grow room..I like Docfish’s setup. He has a Pan under all his buckets. .I can do this in summer. Right now I have this in the front of Veg. Okay heres what Ive done so far..Besides researching “Bee pollen” for the past Month or so..lol.. Now I know the great Benefits it has for the Human consumption. And the antioxydents. But nothing yet on soil amendmant..I Have 5 Hives myself but realy only for pollenation. .of fruit farms..Good side Money too. BTW, .Got tired of the Honey process….which Brings Me to My first question.. would ther be better bennafits of using my Raw Honey in place of the Back strap?

Cat liter bucket…drilled hole 3 inches up. .filled bucket bucket 1” over drain hole with perlite..I use a Folgers coffee can as measure and it makes a nice scooper..

1st Layer..3 scoops Perlite.. 3 scoops coco..

2nd Layer….2 scoops perlite..2 & 1/2scoops coco..1/2scoop spent coffee grinds. 1 scoop worm poo...2 TBL spoon Kelp meal..Fish meal,Alfalfa meal..and

3rd Layer…1 scoop perlite..3 & ½ scoops coco..1 scoop worm poo..1/2 Scoop spent coffee grinds 2 TBL spoons Kelp, fish, and Alfalfa meal, 1 TBL spoon “ Bee Pollen”

4th Layer.. ½ scoop perlite..5 scoops coco..1/2 scoop spent coffee grind @ TBL spoons Kelp,fish,Alfalfa and 1 TBL spoon “Bee pollen”

Top Layer will be all coco coir

Transfer my clone and Gave 1 quart of my Tea..(worm castings..Tagro mix..black mushroom compost, sea weed) I use a paint strainer bag.. and fallowed your method of making tea….Thanks

11/18

Today is day one. Mass …..please tell me why I added “Bee Pollen” .I am stumped.. also..you say you use these for flower..do you not Veg these? I have height restriction’s in Veg room right now..and when should I put her in Flower room? I have 7 feet.of height ..and Harvest..first soil grow this Fall..But in the meantime I can bring my bucket to my light..then back down.. I enjoyed making this bucket..just as I do my soils..and am anxious to see the EXPLOSION!!! I think I may have found my medium between hydro/soil. That sounds great to me..I love working with organics in Veggie garden and have been pleased with the results I get..but am always looking to improve. .Thanks mass man.. you truly are an ASSET to this community..

My Bucket has odor elimanating carbon..lol

KEEP M GREEN:D

009.JPG

010.JPG

002.JPG

Everything is looking great smoke... I do veg my plants but i have been revegging clones and not keeping Mums lately as to save space, and I usually just let the clone root and reveg in a plastic or styrofoam cup in a larger sized rubbermaid container... when I run out of space or feel that the plants are ready I transplant them into full sized buckets and start flowering... I would say that you do not want to flower anything too small or immutare but you also want to take into consideration that these buckets can honestly get out of control very quickly as for the growth rate, so you want to keep in mind that your plants will probably stretch, but in a good way, more then soil, a lot more then soil, because during the stretch they seem to really take off,, it is almost like they do not want to stop growing... so just keep that in mind, I would plan for them to triple during flower, they may not quite triple but there is a very real possibility that they could...

As for the bees pollen, I like to use it for a variety of reasons, firstly because in coco we are trying to harbour as diverse a community of microbes and fungi as possible with the medium... Each grain of pollen comes with its own set of benefical microbes and fungi, which helps break down our organics so our roots can eat
Sceondly, pollen is basically almost half protein, which protein breaks down into amino acids, amino-acids are the building blocks to all life and are very hard to come by in natural organic forms... some very high priced pro nutrient formulas now use amino acids in their formula's with great success, to name two are big Bud and connie, from advanced nutrients... Basically pollen in itself is a complete food source and contains everything you or your plant needs to sustain life...
Thirdly because of all of its antioxidant, vitiman and hormone profiles

This is something in which there isn't much concreate evidence as to how bees pollen helps plants, so i have to use logic and anadotal evidence, as well as the research from my own experiments, but so far I am very pleased.

The honey is not as good an idea, because the honey unlike the pollen, has strong anti-fungial properties which would hinder the growth our beneficals, and honey doesn't quite have the same amount of nutrients as blackstrap, if it is possible, then I would try to go for the blackstrap...

Lastly, with your bucket, make sure it never gets too dry, I mean it can dry out on top but try not to let it get too dry and DO Not TREAT IT LIKE SOIL, treat em like hydro, my coco on top usually looks like it was watered not long ago, and feels kind of spongie

MassP,
I was just wondering if the fact that using coco changes the feeding regime of the plants. what i mean by this is...when i use a soiless mix enriched with things like fish, kelp, and alfalfa meals, guanos, castings, etc...i typically just feed straight water with LK and molasses throughout the entire grow. This allows the amendments to break down for the plant to use...without burning the plants. I have noticed that people are usin your coco buckets, which already have amendments included, while STILL feeding a variaty of teas. To me, this would burn the plants pretty bad, unless the coco actually has something to do with it??

I'm thinking it has something to do with the statements you made about coco only releasing what needs to be released...while holding/keeping everything that is plentiful within the "soil" mix??? This is just a guess...but i would like a little bit of info about it if you wouldn't mind (or anyone else who knows).

I made the switch to your coco buckets a week ago Friday...and everything seems to be going good. I have one plant (which i'm still trying to sex) that i burned while still in veg...but the new growth is lookin really good. I'll get some pics up later when the lights come back on.

Thanks,
solarz

Is it ok to transplant into the coco buckets after putting a plant (in a regular pot) into flower to determine sex first? I ask b/c i recently found out that BOTH plants i put into flower in a coco bucket turned out to be MALES. So i was wondering if i could place them in flower until they show sex, then transplant into the coco buckets...in an effort to not waste the buckets? Thanks in advance.

solarz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back