Mediums/ Fertilizers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldstoner

Reaction score
Good Day to All;
Been a guerilla grower for 50 yrs, but thought I'd try indoors for grins. only doin one plant. I have my area and LED light, but do have questions. Is Miracle grow Potting mix a good choice, also their granulated( mix with H2O) fertilizer ? Walmart is my most convienent source for supplies, and this is what they have onhand.
I'm growing in a tornado shelter How about the use of reflective or white backround, does it add much to enhancing light?
Happy Trails

Hi OldStoner

I would not recommend Miracle Grow products for cannabis. Fox Farms Ocean Forrest or Strawberry Fields are good choices for indoor crops...if you go full organic it will improve the terpine (taste/smell) and THC(potency) production.Yes painting or covering your walls with reflective material will help by reflecting light back to the canopy. Flat white paint is OK and economical ...it should reflect around 80% to 90% of the light back to canopy. Do not place reflective materials on the floor as the under sides of leaves are tender and not light hardened. Good luck !

Last edited:
Thanks to All who chimed in.... How about soil temp ? it's fairly cool, but being below the frost line the ambient temp remains constant, around 60* F. I do know that my outdoor gardening ( vegi, herb, etc) is partially driven by how warm the soil temp is, and over the years I've noticed that indoor starts I've planted in cool earth (May Zone 6) don't do as well as those planted late June. I've gone with Bruce Banner, and any advice peculiar to this strain would be appreciated. One last thing, The soiless medium I have states on the bag that it has enough time release fert for 4 months. it also says to fert as needed..... sort of leaves me clueless. Thanks!!

What kind of medium are you using? Generally, it is not good to use soils/mediums with time release nutrients.

Your soil temp should be maintained between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The directions is stating that you may need additional nutrients over the time released ones.Cannabis requires macro, secondary, and micro nutrients. Time released nutrients cannot be controlled as precisely as other amendments.Your plant may need a heavier application than being delivered.

Climate: Bruce Banner can take colder temperatures than most, but keeping this strain content is key to its quality yield. Indoors, protect the buds by keeping humidity down, and outdoors, plant in areas free of fall rains. This hybrid performs best in temperatures between 65 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Indoor/Outdoor: Bruce Banner grows well in either indoor or outdoor gardens.

Feeding: Start off with above-average helpings of nitrogen and CalMag, then top-dress with phosphorus-heavy nutrients for flowering if growing in soil. Foliar spray with compost tea to help prevent powdery mildew if growing outside.

Good Morning:
I'm using Grow Tek Master Gardener potting mix. I can supply the nomenclature if needed. As it stands, the seedling is parked 20"under a Viper 600w led light 16hr on using a timer. also a small fan. My temp is running 72*, humidity running 55%. It's in a yogurt cup but I've prepped a 10 gal container for future use which is acclimating along with it.
I do understand the importance of macro nutrients, and proper soil PH, I haven't tested the soil yet but imagine it's high. I use well water, which here filters through limestone.
I have in the past used both PH and hydrology meters found at Walmart, but their not very reliable. Any advice/recommendations pertaining to the following would be appreciated: Soil/water ph testers, macro nutrient vendors, what should I do now in prep with the 10 gal container that eventually I'll transplant to? Should I transplant in gradually larger containers prior to the 10gal.
I'm unclear about the added N and CalMag, as I've fried alot of plants (cullinary etc.) over the years, some advice here is needed.
I don't possess a natural Green Thumb eventhough I've been in agriculture all my life. I am smart enough though to take advice from my betters, and REALLY do appreciate all the help this community has and will provide. Thank You!!

If Walmart is your only source you can order Fox Farms online and they will ship it to the store. They do carry their line. My personal choice is Happy Frog 3:1 with perlite. Start light fertilizers after the 2-3 week.

Don’t settle for Miracle-Gro although I do have one plant in their coco mix and it’s doing well. However it’s been in vege forever.

Good Day All;
After reading everyone's input I thought it best to start fresh. I purchased a "kit" from Fox Farm through Amazon consisting of the following: Ocean forest potting soil, Happy frog potting soil, and their nutrient trio. did I miss anything? Also, I have large quantities of composted Rabbit poo, and Red wiggler worms. Should I add some to the Fox Farm mixture? I've used worms for years, but never indoors.....any advice?
Concerning my 600watt led light, From what I've read if the leaves embrace the light I'm ok, if they droop or burn I'm too close. My light is 12" off the seedling and she's happy, I can lower it if need be. I guess what I'm asking is how close is actually beneficial? Thanks

Marijuana uses a lot of magnesium in flower. I would add cal/mg to the list to get.

Worm castings are great indoors. Add to your soil mixture and use in teas.

Latest posts

Back