Mendocino County drops pot permits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Faced with legal threats from Uncle Sam, the Mendocino County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday gutted its innovative, revenue-generating medical marijuana permitting program that allowed cooperatives to grow up to 99 plants.

“The mistake was made when we pushed the envelope,” said Supervisor Kendall Smith.

Rather than issuing permits — process that was recently—suspended - the county now limits the number of plants to 25, well within the limits set in other counties and less likely to raise a red flag for federal authorities who consider pot for any purpose to be illegal. Sonoma County allows up to 30 plants.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office Jon an. 3 threatened to sue the county over its permitting of 99 plants and charging fees for the permits, which generated $663,230 for the Sheriff’s Office last year. Marijuana-related permits also are the focus a Southern California court case that the California Supreme Court last week agreed to hear.

About 30 marijuana growers, sellers and users made a case Tuesday for supervisors to retain the program. Many suggested making it an informal, voluntary program they thought might bypass the sticky permit issue. They said the permits brought them out of the shadows of illegality, made them feel like they were part of the community and gave them some safety from prosecution.

But feelings about the ordinance always have been mixed and several others said the ordinance should be dropped. It drew attention to growers in Mendocino County and made them more vulnerable to federal prosecution, they said.

They noted that one of the most outspoken permit holders, Matt Cohen, was the subject of a federal raid last year.

The permits have “proven worthless as protection,” said Paula Deeter, owner of a medical marijuana dispensary on the coast.

Supervisor John Pinches said the permits may have given some growers a false sense of security. “We make it sound like it’s legal,” he said.

Only a few people who spoke Tuesday opposed marijuana production.

Supervisors approved the revised ordinance on a 4-1 vote, with Pinches dissenting.

He said he doesn’t see much difference between allowing 25 plants or 99 plants because both are illegal under federal law. “It’s like telling a bank robber he can’t touch the $100 bills but the $10 and $20 bills are OK, he said.

“Maybe we should just get out of this whole wrangling process,” Pinches said.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/6tfrysa

“The mistake was made when we pushed the envelope,” said Supervisor Kendall Smith.

Ya think??

Folding to Fed pressure....and Roddy likes it. Sad.

If a community wants to have local regulations on a State issue, the Feds should stay out of it.

What's sad is how you just can't admit the pushing of the envelope...and pretending I like any of it...maybe that's the saddest part. Wake up. What part of "ya think" points I like this??

If a community wants to have local regulations on a State issue, the Feds should stay out of it.

I agree...and it's funny in many states, we're not getting the fed involvement....wonder why? Ooops, think the supervisor guy said it best.

But feelings about the ordinance always have been mixed and several others said the ordinance should be dropped. It drew attention to growers in Mendocino County and made them more vulnerable to federal prosecution, they said. Seems some agree....

Shoot, I'll give an explanation why this is silly.

The reason folks have had mixed feelings about the 99 rule in Mendo is simple. It does draw the eye of leo up in a county where hundres of thousands of plants are grown, not because they think that the "rule" is too much...lol.
They simply do not want the heat bro. They grow for the nation.

Ummm....Hal, that's exactly what I suspect the comments above were aimed toward, and my feeling exactly. OBVIOUSLY allowing someone to grow 99 plants will make feds wonder why. OBVIOUSLY it's gonna draw attention. This is exactly what I've been saying all along...glad we both understand it finally! ;)

And they certainly shouldn't be growing for the nation, just for their patients.....

Maybe some people still believe in The Declaration Of Independence :confused2:

The Declaration of Independence said:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

and people should be able to do as they please as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. So I see no harm in growing 99 plants or a 199 plants or growing for the nation.jmo

I hate to say it but Our Declaration of Independence has not been worth the paper it is written on for yrs now.

:yeahthat: Ozzy! The voting system is as screwed, I'm afraid. It's looking more and more like we're at the mercy of the system and be damned with the people's will.

IDK Ozzy as long as there is at least one that believes in it, it is still good. Could be that guy from Texas, RP, he still believes in it.

Roddy said:
And they certainly shouldn't be growing for the nation, just for their patients.....

Someday you will wake up and realize there is a bigger picture.
Not everyone is cool with MMJ and the "rules". Not all States have MMJ.

Wake up my friend. It is also OBVIOUS you have no clue to how the real world works, espeicially Mendo.
Some folks simply don't care about MMJ and rulesets. They have been doing thier thing long before you and I thought about growing. It is and has been an industry in thier neck of the woods for a long time. Local LEO is involved with it too, as I have seen it myself.
So, stop applauding things you know nothing about bro. 99 plants is the norm in Cali, not the "breaking point", lol.

Roddy said:
Ummm....Hal, that's exactly what I suspect the comments above were aimed toward, and my feeling exactly. OBVIOUSLY allowing someone to grow 99 plants will make feds wonder why. OBVIOUSLY it's gonna draw attention. This is exactly what I've been saying all along...glad we both understand it finally! ;)

No sir, you don't understand :(
What this is about is nothing you have been saying all along.
This is about protecting an area that is far ahead of the curve.

NorCalHal said:
Someday you will wake up and realize there is a bigger picture.
Not everyone is cool with MMJ and the "rules". Not all States have MMJ.

Wake up my friend. It is also OBVIOUS you have no clue to how the real world works, espeicially Mendo.
Some folks simply don't care about MMJ and rulesets. They have been doing thier thing long before you and I thought about growing. It is and has been an industry in thier neck of the woods for a long time. Local LEO is involved with it too, as I have seen it myself.
So, stop applauding things you know nothing about bro. 99 plants is the norm in Cali, not the "breaking point", lol.

Again, where do you see me applauding ANYTHING???? You don't, plain and simple.

And again, you simply put down, dismiss and pretend you know all...we're discussing MMJ here, Hal. The whole thread is about MMJ. Yet, every chance you get, we're back to the lawbreaking and how that's somehow good for ANY kind of marijuana acceptance.

REGULATE AND SELL it through the local state's liquor control boards. Nuff said. Vote yes on I-502 if you're a Wa. resident and and are an active voter.
MMJ is a sham for the most part nowadaze and I know more perfectly healthy ppl with "recs" that have no true ailment. THey're not dying, they're not in TRUE intractable pain, they're not wasting away, they just wanna get STONED. Meanwhile I've grown for 13+ yrs off and on in a severely debilitated condition, can not walk more then 1/4 mile w/o being chair bound the next day just so I do not have to involve my name w/ dispensary's and lists and more importantly the staties or Feds coming in to "inspect" my grow.

Enuf of this Big Pharm crap, they'll get their hands on it even if it stays illegal, patent meds on it, and still have their men entrenched in DC to spin for them and their companies/agenda's. (which we as capitalists shouldn't be surprised that they want to make money :shocked:It's the basic tenets that this nation was founded on).
I say why not embrace Big Pharm utilizing it, it will become more accepted and disseminated on a mass scale if they dispatch it to ppl that would normally shy away from using something illegal that would otherwise help their ailments, like Sativex or Marinol or what have you...

Arguing over plant count is just dumb. I've grown thousands of plants, so a finite number is rediculous to argue over...

p.s. I stopped pouring money into Big Pharm's pockets when I decided that cannabis made me happier then their PAxil, oxycodone, Zestril, and all the other crap my doctor's pushed on me, So don't think for one second I'm in love with the pharmaceutical companies. 7greeneyes has never been or never will be affiliated with any said pharmceutical megacorps...

:rant: over

NorCalHal said:
No sir, you don't understand :(
What this is about is nothing you have been saying all along.
This is about protecting an area that is far ahead of the curve.

Protecting an area....how? Several of those "mavericks" you applaud are using MMJ as a shield to break the law. If they want to be mavericks, bring the whole world into the legalization of MJ (note...NOT MMJ), why not stop hiding and using MMJ. This does nothing to help either sides...period!

99 plants is the norm in Cali, not the "breaking point", lol.

But feelings about the ordinance always have been mixed and several others said the ordinance should be dropped. It drew attention to growers in Mendocino County and made them more vulnerable to federal prosecution, they said.

Again, not all agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back