Method of curing (Moved from the Grow Journal area)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zarnon said:
Dude, I am sorry if what I post in 'sacred places' is not appreciated. I should not post at all then because how I post there is exactly how I post in my own thread. I am who I am. If you just want "great job d00d!" posts then I'm not the one.

I usually post long answers and if there's info I think is inaccurate I'm going to post that too. If people don't want me there that's cool b/c really I'd rather put the energy in somewhere else.

BTW, this whole topic started when Stoney, not me threw out figures that I felt were inaccurate. Do I have to stop posting at that point or agree with it by saying nothing? What's your advice?

I don't know man...I am new to growing and posting and moderating and I guess out of the 3, growing is what I do best. I find myself wanting to correct alot of posts I run across, but I bite my tongue most of the time. IMO pretty much the only certainty there is, is that there are hundreds of ways to get smokeable product from hundreds of very different kinds of WEED (yes it is a weed) in hundreds of different growing situations with as many variables, and aside from electronics involved, don't think anyone will get hurt doing it their own way. I know I have no desire to test or comment on all of them.

We all know I put all manner of wackiness in my journal, and anyone who follows along to a tee will surely get some quality smoke...but I have to stress that this is not the way I learned. I have read hundreds of journals on several forums and the way I grow and post is just a documentation of the ways that I read about and felt were interesting enough to try....obtained from hundreds of sources. I feel there is possibly only a handful of growers out there that may actually be crazy enough to grow like I do, but I feel everyone could learn a little something from my journal. Other than that, honestly I just hang out in sick plants and try to offer help to those asking for it. Growing and smoking are both a medical thing for me, and my serenity, and for the most part I am here to help others try and acheive this, but not gonna let any sort of internet thang destroy that.

thanks to both of you. Any message board has a wealth of information. Im a huge hockey fan and so much amazing goes on in there. you can weed out people who will listen and people who won't. also advice can be good and or bad. we all have to try things out and learn from experience what are old wives tales and what actually is real and useful.

This has gotten stupid. My figures were approximations, not exact science.

Ok, here ya go man.

STONEY'S METHOD OF DRYING AND CURING

I harvest my weed and hang it.

I wait until it has lost what I consider enough water content. I don't use any method but experience to judge this. After having literally hundreds of people smoke my weed, my experience has shown itself to be good for developing good smoking weed.

When I think it has dried enough, I put it in a gallon baggie.

Each day, I leave the baggies open for a couple hours to expel more moisture. I do this for about a week. More if I feel like it. Nothing determines this except my own experience. After having literally hundreds of people smoke my weed, my experience has shown itself to be good for developing good smoking weed.

I then open the baggies once a week for a couple of hours. Maybe longer if I feel like it. There is only one rule. I do what I want to do. After having literally hundreds of people smoke my weed, my experience has shown itself to be good for developing good smoking weed.

After that, I open the baggies every two weeks for a couple of hours. More if I feel like it. Nothing determines this except my own experience. After having literally hundreds of people smoke my weed, my experience has shown itself to be good for developing good smoking weed.

After that, I open the baggies every three weeks for a couple of hours. More if I feel like it. Nothing determines this except my own experience. After having literally hundreds of people smoke my weed, my experience has shown itself to be good for developing good smoking weed.

Zarnon, you can use all the scientific methods you wish. It's your weed. You can advise people in any way you feel like advising them within reason. If they want to follow your advice, great. If not, great.

I'll do the same.

I'm done with this thread. See ya.

I spliffed this into two posts, the more productive one first LOL....

Zarnon's Failsafe Cut n' Cure

Tools needed: pruning shears, mason jars.

(1) Cut bud and manicure. (pic 1,2) I trim down to where they are in the picture. I do another final manicure after the leaves are crisp (wilted leaves are tough to cut).

(2) I keep around 70f and 35-40 % humidity. You can use a small oscillating fan but put it away so the buds are barely being hit by it.

(3) You can gently (gently!) squeeze a bud to see how much water it has. I am talking lighty pinching it. You will develop this sense with time.

Depending on size of bud and variation in environment it will take 4-7 days. You'll have approximately a 75% loss of weight or greater at that point. The bud should feel harder but not crunchy and the stems stiffer but not snapping.

(4) In jar I use smell first, touch second. It usually goes like this if you keep in too long; flowery, ripe, overripe, rotting. At ripe-overripe I take 'em out. Use smell then touch your bud (oh my!) and get a feel for when it's too moist, overly dry or just right. I stop burping when the smell stays stable and sweet and the nugs are at the right consistency.

I think it starts smoking great after 3 weeks, although a good cure will continue over months. It will take on a nice color, aroma and taste. (pic 3,4,5) :)

Bud 'Rebound'

Sometimes the bud will feel dry but has a good amount of water left in it. In that case the bud will 'come back' when you jar it, as the water will redistribute. The next morning you may find your 'dry' bud is now on the too moist side.

No prob. I take it out and get let it dry (usu 1-3 hours) judging by feel when to rejar it. A few days of that and she's back to 'burp' stage.

Third pic shows how the bud ages with time. It's still not crumbly one year later (see how I squished the pipe in that fat nug a little bit?) .

Long term storage

I learned a lesson about keeping bud too moist long term. I had an idea to put a humidifier pellet (sold in head shops) in some of my jars then leave for about 8 months. Mistake!! The stuff that's consistently fresh and aromatic I've stored on the dry side.

2-2 AK bignugga finish.jpg

Bobby Likes It.jpg

Dr.jpg

early finish Bmama2.jpg

KaliMist.jpg

zarnon said:
This has gotten stupid. My figures were approximations, not exact science.

Agreed to both points. I should have bit my tongue but I probably wouldn't have responded if you'd put it like that to begin with. If you tell me something has been 'proven' with 'no doubt remaining' that is a statement that allows no room for discussion.

Now, I said something wrong early on which I feel contributed to this debate.

I do have a decline in water over time, but most over the first few days. I have a very slow loss of h2o afterwards. For me to say that it doesn't change was dumb. What I should have said is I try to keep the bud about the same level of dry feeling after most of the water is gone. I 'burp' my jars regularly until the smell remains even. At that point I'll make checks and occasionally 'burp' like you do. It all depends on how moist they are getting or if the smell is funky. It is different than bags as the glass retains more moisture which to me explains the difference in our methods.

I still think you and I start about level of water loss going in but it's such a minor point it's not worth arguing about anymore.

I think experience is worthwhile. I learned a lot from the guy that taught me and avoided years of mistakes. He had very specific methods and took pains to have me avoid a lot of 'advice' I think has hurt myself and others.

I think it's worth looking behind the ways people grow. Some methods may be better than others, others detrimental. There may be three ways to do something great and a few thousand that turn out mediocre and a few that the plants are lucky to survive. :D We're never going to know unless we keep an open mind and are willing to do the research.

EM, I think it's considerate to say "everything's valid, and everyone is going to do ok" but the reality is people have a wide range of results. It's worth looking at what works, what doesn't and why.

It's why I'm trying soil and comparing them to hydro, seeing what effect halides have on flower, and drying my herb on a scale. Cuz I just don't know and I want to. :D If nothing made a difference why are we trying so hard to do make our stuff bigger and better tasting?

Zarnon said:
Agreed to both points. I should have bit my tongue but I probably wouldn't have responded if you'd put it like that to begin with. If you tell me something has been 'proven' with 'no doubt remaining' that is a statement that allows no room for discussion.

What in the world are you talking about? You've taken what I said completly out of context.

That's the end of this nonsense.

Thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back