MH 400watt = higher female ratio???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papaya123

Reaction score
Well hello everyone! I went ahead and bought a 600w MH conversion bulb when i start my veg cycle and previously bought a HPS 600w for my flowering, but my question is refering to the post under the germination forum, "Where if you use a MH bulb for the veg your female ratio will go up". Heres the question hotshot, you have a MH bulb only used for veg. Is your female ratio been up or down ooooooor is that just some urban legend? You have whatever time available to answer (which is whatevers). Thanks Fellaz!!

I tend to believe that urban legend, everytime I veg under MH I get a ton of females. Evrytime I do HPS the ratio goes down a lot. Could be coincidence but who knows.

There are several factors that seem to contribute to a higher ratio of females. One of these things is more blue light. There are, however, several other factors: lower temps, higher RH, more nitrogen, less potassium, fewer hours of daylight.

I am getting slightly more females with my T5 fluoro than I did with my MH (I have never vegged with a HPS). I attribute this to a combination of blue light, lower temps and higher RH (because of lower temps) that I get with the T5.

(I answered even though I am not a "fella")

The Hemp Goddess said:
(I answered even though I am not a "fella")

:rofl: :p

well... I am a fella, and I'm gunna tell ya... there ain't no difference what u veg under... if it's a boy, it's a boy... girl - girl... that's it...
gunna tell me if I make love to a woman under a certain spectrum of light, I'm gunna be ashured a girl?... or listen to a certain kind of music at the time?... come on... think... the genetic makeup of the seed is already determined... you just gotta know how to recognize it ;)... how do you think they have "femenized" seeds? ... I do... and I could work there to produce them :p ... it's nothing about any conditions... it's just knowing what to look for ;) ... believe me or not, there is a way to determine sex of seeds - pre-germ... like I said... how do you think they have "femenized" seeds???

anyone wants to debate me on it... go right ahead... I'm game... and I know what the Hell I'm talking about....

That crazy vancouver guy said:
:rofl: :p

well... I am a fella, and I'm gunna tell ya... there ain't no difference what u veg under... if it's a boy, it's a boy... girl - girl... that's it...
gunna tell me if I make love to a woman under a certain spectrum of light, I'm gunna be ashured a girl?... or listen to a certain kind of music at the time?... come on... think... the genetic makeup of the seed is already determined... you just gotta know how to recognize it ;)... how do you think they have "femenized" seeds? ... I do... and I could work there to produce them :p ... it's nothing about any conditions... it's just knowing what to look for ;) ... believe me or not, there is a way to determine sex of seeds - pre-germ... like I said... how do you think they have "femenized" seeds???
anyone wants to debate me on it... go right ahead... I'm game... and I know what the Hell I'm talking about....

I am not going to argue with you, but I would like to know how YOU think they have feminized seeds?

And I would also be interested to know how to determine the sex of a seed pre-germ?

How do hermies happen if the sex of the plant is genetically predetermined?

the reason I put quotes around the word femenized is cuz there isn't any... it's either male or female... that's it

when the seed was created, it was pre-determined to be male or female... and there is a way to tell

but don't listen to me... I'm just a crazy guy:fid:

wanna buy a piece of property?:hubba:

herms r a product of something going wrong within the plant... it's a mutation

i agree with the crazy guy. only way that you can produce more females is by not stressing them into herms. feminized seeds come from taking plants and switching them back and forth from 12/12 to 24/0 and taking seeds from plants that dont herm. i guess that greatly increases the probability that the seeds will produce fems. That's what i've been told anyways. i'm sure theres more to it than that but before the seed is planted its already made up its mind if its male or female haha. just gotta stop it from herming.

Makes perfect sense to me.

It's a fact that the sex of seeds is not predetermined. Certain environmental factors within the first few weeks influence sex.

Lower temps, high humidity, high nitrogen and more blue light produce more fems. Being a 12/12 grower, I usually just put my plants straight under HPS, and over the last three grows have gotten about 50/50 males/females.

My current grow was started under flouro, because of this I automatically get lower temps and higher humidity (and blue light)

Out of 20 seeds, 15 are female .... so far.

yea. i dono if i was lucky this time or what but i somehow got 7 out of 7 females from my pineapple skunk seeds. they were just bag seed to. really bizarre. plus they were under a 400 hps. but we kept the temps lower this time. wierd

SmknWhiteWidow said:
i agree with the crazy guy. only way that you can produce more females is by not stressing them into herms. feminized seeds come from taking plants and switching them back and forth from 12/12 to 24/0 and taking seeds from plants that dont herm. i guess that greatly increases the probability that the seeds will produce fems. That's what i've been told anyways. i'm sure theres more to it than that but before the seed is planted its already made up its mind if its male or female haha. just gotta stop it from herming.

You might want to actually see how they make feminized seeds, whoever told you is pulling your leg. There are many ways to make the seeds "feminine" some better than others and some just downright scary.

I have heard of messing up a light schedule to see which plants aren't going to hermie and then crossing them with female pollen to get females that don't herm. So you need some female pollen...which most plants produce if you let them flower too long. Plants don't just produce seeds, they can if induced by the enviornment but that's going to give you hermies IMO. Some breeders actually cross females with female pollen...it's how they get the female pollen that should be of your concern. Some breeders self the plants, sounds like someone was trying to explain that to you BTW. Some use chemicals. I personally like the female pollen crossed with a different female if I have to go feminized.

Also there is a difference guys between hermies and intersex plants, one is enviornmental and the other is genetic. But I have seen both called hermies online.

And I am a huge believer in the urban legend...but I do call it a legand for a reason LOL. I get next to no males when I MH and just feed N with low temps and high humidity. When I veg HPS and use more balanced nutes I get more males, so call me superstitious but I will not veg any other way now.

ya i know plants dont just produce seeds i just wasn't sure how to take female pollen. as i said it was just a loose idea that someone had told me one time and i knew there was more to it than that. i just wanted to share what i heard

SmknWhiteWidow said:
ya i know plants dont just produce seeds i just wasn't sure how to take female pollen. as i said it was just a loose idea that someone had told me one time and i knew there was more to it than that. i just wanted to share what i heard

No biggie, just wanted to let you know...sometimes people like to talk. You were on the right track. It's how they get the female pollen though that is important IMO. If you herm a female or she is an intersexed plant then you can expect the same IMO. But if you let a plant go too long it should produce some males flowers (sometimes they are sterile though) and you get the pollen from there then take that pollen and cross it with a female that has been proven to not herm (the light schedule you were told about is one way and IMO the best) and cross them and you should get 100% females in thoery but it's not a theory when it comes to real life so weird things can and will happen with feminized seeds.

I know some people who have gotten seeds created from hermies and it pisses them off to no end, meanwhile the breeder/trader has no clue what he is actually doing...pissing people off and making bad seeds LOL. It's something people should learn about before just doing...it's criminal IMO to make seeds from a hermie LOL, yet people still do it cause they don't know any better, yet every other post of their's is about hermies:D...gee I wonder why you got so many hermies from hermie pollen LOL. It's one of my pet peeves and you hit on it and I'm glad you did, some guy gave you a half arsed explanantion and it's ashame cause breeding can be tons of fun and you seem like the guy who likes to learn about cannabis LOL. It's also one of the things that makes cannabis so special.

That crazy vancouver guy said:
the reason I put quotes around the word femenized is cuz there isn't any... it's either male or female... that's it

when the seed was created, it was pre-determined to be male or female... and there is a way to tell

but don't listen to me... I'm just a crazy guy:fid:

wanna buy a piece of property?:hubba:

herms r a product of something going wrong within the plant... it's a mutation

Are you going to answer my other question? Just how do you determine the sex of a seed pre-germ? This would be a very valuable thing to know.

Latest posts

Back