MH for Veg and HPS for Flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killertea08

Liven The Dream
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Its been a while since I have been on so you know what that means. It's time to grow again:holysheep:. Quick question guys/gals, Ive been hearing about some people veg there plants with MH bulbs then switch to HPS to bloom. Does any one have pics to back up that this is benificial. So anyone with $0.02 let me know if this is a good Idea.

I think you will find growers here who do that and then some that use HPS all the way through veg and flower (this was me) and then there are those who veg under HO T5's and flower under HPS....(this is me now).

Oh and lets not forget the CFL growers and the LED growers...so we hve lots of choices. It comes down to what is right for you and your situation.
I can say in my opinion since going to HO T5's for veg I hve found the best veg light for my situation. I am sure I left out some type of light(s).

Hamster Lewis said:
I think you will find growers here who veg under HO T5's and flower under HPS....(this is me now).

I can say in my opinion since going to HO T5's for veg I have found the best veg light for my situation. .

^^^^^ Thats Me as well^^^^^

Many many growers use MH for veg and HPS for flowering--it was kind of the "standard". I grew this way for many years. Then I discovered T5 floros. They are all I use to veg anymore.

I was originally set up to use MH400watt veg/HPS600watt flower, then discovered the T5HO bulbs. I ended up using both MH and T5 in my setup as that's just how it worked out (did really good!!) but in the future I intend to go soley to the T5 for veg as it gives the spectrum n lumens without all the heat.

Thanks everyone, I was actually looking at getting a 2ft 6bulb t5 the other day. I like the fact that it doesn't build up the heat. I already have the MH so I'm going to try it out and compare.

Killertea08 said:
Thanks everyone, I was actually looking at getting a 2ft 6bulb t5 the other day. I like the fact that it doesn't build up the heat. I already have the MH so I'm going to try it out and compare.

Cool beans brosef....keep us in the loop. I wld like to know how they compare as well. My guess is the MH will outperform the T5's speed of growth wise....but the T5's most likely will give tighter node growth and we all know they will outperform the MH heat and power consumption wise.

jmo:D

Hamster Lewis said:
Cool beans brosef....keep us in the loop. I wld like to know how they compare as well. My guess is the MH will outperform the T5's speed of growth wise....but the T5's most likely will give tighter node growth and we all know they will outperform the MH heat and power consumption wise.

jmo:D

Actually, I used MH for many years before I discovered T5s. I can say that the 216W of T5 performed as well (or better) than 400W of Mh in virtually every way.

Latest posts

Back