MH or dual spectrum bulbs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I got a 600W dimmable digital ballast and I am going to get some bulbs for vegging.
Would people recommend getting a 400W MH or a 400W dual spectrum bulb for the vegging stage?
I read that MH promotes strong, compact growth, but I don't know anything about the dual spectrum bulbs.
I also plan to use a 600W hps bulb for the flowering stage later on.

dual spectrum would be more preferable to provide a more complete spectrum coverage for the blooming girls, I use MH for vegging, the girls love it.

hps for vegging seems to make them grow quicker but they seem to get a bit more stretch between nodes vs. mh making them wide and compact growth.

good luck bud. This is just my experience....

Most ppl here will tell you to buy a t5(s) tho....

Thanks. The t5s are off the table for now as I already got an hid setup and plan to use that.
I do have a lot of cfl lights hanging around, but I thought that a MH light would give the better light quality for vegging and I want to simplify things- I got about a dozen cfl light cords going out of the grow tent and wires everywhere.
One good light would be a lot more pleasant to deal with.

dual spectrum's bulbs work great from beginning to end

I would use the MH bulb myself but make sure it puts out the 6500k spectrum as most MH bulbs actually put out the 5000k spectrum which isn't as good or efficient for veg. There are those manufactures that make the MH that puts out 6500k which is ideal for veg growth :) I don't see where the dual arc would be beneficial for veg over the MH, but I have never used them either so I could be wrong :)

I tried 7000k mh and plants stressed?!? some started hermin.
back to hps and much better but did notice that older bulbs actually do lose
lumen output, so do suggest buying cheapest hps online and replace every 6 mo. ............else half the crop of BUDS. for real. true.

The best light spectrum for MJ is a fairly tight range. I would never use anything higher than 6500k for veg and I wouldn't use it at all for flower unless I was growing larger plants and coupled it with HPS. I am not too sure if the 7000k caused herming, but I have heard that the higher spectrums above the 6500k range are more damaging than helpful to growing MJ. I would stick with 6500k for veg(either MH or T5) and 2700-3000k(HPS) for flower for the best results :)

Thanks.
I have a safety concern now.
Will I need a special timer to control the hid light ballast?
It's a 600W dimmable digital ballast and will have a 400W MH and a 600W HPS used in it.
I used regular light timers to run all of my cfls including about 700W of lights without any problems but I read that you need a special heavy duty timer to switch the hid lights and ballasts on and off without problems.

As long as wires dont get overly warm, Ive never had a problem with a 'normal'
heavy duty appliance timer. And yes hps for flowering, DO NOT use 7000k mh for flowering. yes it did stress plants. Not sure why. I'll never do it again.
And save your lungs and make decarbed cannaoil. It really prevents withdrawals, i swear by it. Research it. use common sense. smoking is bad.
But I love THC in cannaoil. tsp a day keeps dr. away. I used to swear by vaping, but still messed with my lungs. Cannaoil is the solution. Get your THC, just not thru lung filtering. Cant replace that air filter, right. Yougins, take heed. Try it, you'll be glad. HRC 2016. ACA for all.

Surfer Joe said:
Thanks.
I have a safety concern now.
Will I need a special timer to control the hid light ballast?
It's a 600W dimmable digital ballast and will have a 400W MH and a 600W HPS used in it.

Are you saying that you plan on using a 400W MH bulb in a 600W ballast? If so, you cannot do that--the wattage of the bulb must match the wattage of the ballast. If you are saying that you are going to run a 600W MH and dim the ballast to 400W, that is okay.

rickyjack9 said:
As long as wires dont get overly warm, Ive never had a problem with a 'normal'
heavy duty appliance timer. And yes hps for flowering, DO NOT use 7000k mh for flowering. yes it did stress plants. Not sure why. I'll never do it again.
And save your lungs and make decarbed cannaoil. It really prevents withdrawals, i swear by it. Research it. use common sense. smoking is bad.
But I love THC in cannaoil. tsp a day keeps dr. away. I used to swear by vaping, but still messed with my lungs. Cannaoil is the solution. Get your THC, just not thru lung filtering. Cant replace that air filter, right. Yougins, take heed. Try it, you'll be glad. HRC 2016. ACA for all.

There is really no evidence whatsoever that smoking cannabis contributes to lung cancer or other respiratory problems.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Are you saying that you plan on using a 400W MH bulb in a 600W ballast? If so, you cannot do that--the wattage of the bulb must match the wattage of the ballast. If you are saying that you are going to run a 600W MH and dim the ballast to 400W, that is okay.
I have a 600W dimmable ballast and want to buy a 400W MH and a 600W HPS bulbs and use them by setting the dimmable ballast to 400 or to 600 as needed.
Is that ok?
Also, can you please tell me if a 600W ballast will need a special light timer or can I use the same timer that I used with my cfl lights?
Thanks.

I buy my utility timers at home depot $15-20 american. In the Lighting section.

Hemp Goddess: "There is really no evidence whatsoever that smoking cannabis contributes to lung cancer or other respiratory problems."

Common sense dictates that this philosophy is wrong. To justify that smoking or vaping does not cause respiratory problems is absolutely ignorance. You have the right to do what you want, but do not tell me and put in writing such ignorance. U of course have a right to opinion, but not FACTS. Using the precious lungs to filter impure smoke of any kind leaves behind lung damage. Why in the hell do think coughing isnt a signal of lung abuse. You sound just like big Tobacco. I've smoked or vaped for 44 years and can tell you, your lungs are being harmed. No way around it, you are just justifying it. Just because I switched to cannaoil and had no withdrawals whatsoever; to each his own. Smoke/vape if u choose. But the statement by the Goddess is wrong. Im just glad I found decarbed cannaoil online.
Do not believe smoking wont harm the lungs. I care about others and I say: switch to cannaoil now. no withdrawals I swear. But hey theyre your lungs.
If u cough, you lose. common sense? listen to your body (coughing is bad).
ACA forever. HRC 2016. To say smoking anything doesnt harm the lungs is absolutely incorrect and irresponsible, actually a little ignorant. I have no reason to push cannaoil. All I can say is that my experience tells me that smoking is unhealthy. Vaping is better but still harmful to lungs. If any weed smoker has ever tried to quit several times, well, that proves my point. Talk about evidence. huh Goddess? DONT smoke/vape. Switch to cannaoil NOW.
I post this because I care about lung health for all. And when I saw Hemp Goddess comment "no evidence whatsoever". How about use some common sense people. Goddess, you sound Republican and probably have stock in bong or pipe factory. STOP smoking NOW. get THC thru cannaoil. Save lungs for clean air and live a better longer life. Cannaoil is the future, not 'coughing'.
COMMON SENSE. Only trying to educate, people. Not saying quit THC. I cant live without it myself. But I sure love my tbsp oil after a long day.
I had my 'rationalizing to smoke pot' for over four decades. If you try cannaoil, You wont be sorry. i swear to God. Dont underestimate this suggestion. Do a gut check, DONT SMOKE at all. just trying to help.
coughing is not funny or cool. and it is a WARNING. Healthy is cool. In the long run. and future...smoke=bad. stop justifying. learn cannaoil. look it up.
(decarb in microwave with 2-3 min bursts, 3 or 4 times), then mix into oil.
then into mason jar, then that into crockpot half full of water to prevent cracking the crockpot like i did first try, oops) Hi for a few hours (4-6) shaking jar periodically. Careful, that oil is HOT. Let cool down...
Strain. Just look it up people. Take the lungs out of the equation. I beg u. If u try it, u will quit smoking without withdrawals.. Isnt that worth trying? and Pass this vital knowledge to others after your enlightenment. and u will be enlightened. Tell others if u care

I've been a smoker since the 60s, and I have to admit that smoking affects my lungs and makes me cough and wheeze after a while, which is why I normally take breaks during the year just to help my lungs.

But how much pot is needed to make a tablespoon of cannaoil? How does it compare to smoking in effects and duration?

RickyBobby ya back at this Lung Thingy again. Your wearing us tha hell out with that crap. Can you post without talking **** about Smoking and Lungs. We get it,,,you like the Oil,,thats cool bro,,but we like to Smoke. How about you leave the Preaching for Sunday at Church and lets stick to the Subject,,,Cause I dont remember it being about Lung Cancer. You have a total of 60 post and I would bet close to 90% of them are telling us about Lung Cancer.
And stop talking crap to THG.

I understand that everyone has their own way of doing things. And everyone feels passionately about their own ideas and beliefs. I prefer to "eat" my meds(hash pills) as opposed to smoking them, even though I do smoke a little on occasion. But coming on here and talking smack to people who have plenty of experience to pull from and calling names just because they express their opinion just makes you look like a prick, especially when you call for facts while supplying no factual backup yourself.

If you have some reliable studies to quote from, that show some correlation and want to "share" them with us, that is one thing, and we would appreciate the info. But don't come on here and blast someone who disagrees with you when you have nothing to back up what you say. I personally think that breathing any kind of smoke is detrimental but I have never heard or read any reliable sources that support your assertions. On the contrary, I just heard on the news about a week ago that some long term studies have shown that MJ smokers are less subject to lung cancer than people who smoke tobacco, AND less subject than people who smoke nothing.

I am not going to sit here and call you a liberal democrat idiot, and say, " Common sense dictates that this philosophy is wrong", just because I heard this study on the news and now think you are "actually a little ignorant". I prefer to let you think and do what you think is best for you.

We appreciate your input and welcome suggestions, advice, and insight, "but do not tell me and put in writing such ignorance." If you disagree with me and have some important info to back it up then state it without blasting people :)

:yeahthat: X10

Thank You Hushpuppy,,good post..

plz be civil to members, especially mods. You won't make friends acting like a know-it-all when there's thousands of pages of documentation saying otherwise regarding carcinogens and cannabis.

Please think and be more considerate of others b4 you post.

Latest posts

Back