"Mighty Mites"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbawhale

Reaction score
Need a hand folks. I've read some of the forum but what I need is different, I'm less than 2 weeks from harvest and the little bast**** have shown up. All the mites a guy could ask for. Whats the move? It's 22 degrees outside so I thought(never a good thing:eek: ) take them outside and freeze the little buggers without hurting the plants of course. I don't even know if that's possible? Sounds a bit scary to me! HELP!!:icon_smile:

thanks in advance peeps

Larry

Is that 22F or 22C--it makes a huge difference. Temps below freezing will most likely kill your plants without killing the mites.

Cold will not kill the mites, it will just slow down their reproduction. At this point, there is really not much you can do. I try and give my plants cold water showers late in flowering. But if you are in a humid area or have really dense buds, this could cause problems.

Thanks THG, it's 22 degrees F but I think your right. How much damage will the little beggers do to my buds or maybe I should just harvest now? Thanks again:holysheep: .

Larry

How is your humidity? A cold shower kills some, knocks some more off, washes some of the eggs away. I will remove any webbing.

I would not take them now. If you are estimating 2 more weeks from breeder's estimates, it could easily go another 1-2 weeks. Breeder's estimates are always rather optimistic IMO. Do you have any pics?

I brought a flowering plant from my shed into the house(about 20 feet) in below freezing temps. When I got in the house all the buds and frosty fan leaves looked great but the larger fan leaves were damaged beyond repair.

Not sure how many plants you have but harvesting a few not affected at least gives you some guaranteed weed if the mites completely overrun the place. You will DEFINITELY need to spray them with something. 2+ weeks is more than enough time to cause serious trouble.

without a pic it's hard to say...the cold will def. slow them down. i have actually used our vacuum, pretty harsh, but that was in veg.
dunno what or how that would effect the tricomes, in flower.

How bad are they? Do you have plants in vedge? I had the Borg on my very first grow. I discovered them a week or so before you. I learned a lot about mites, and the main thing I learned is that you MUST eradicate them as soon as you can -- they multiply very fast -- You can't put anything really harsh on your nearly finished buds, but you can hit them with some kind of oil based spray. I used something called SNS 217 they had at the hydro store 35 bucks a bottle. I hit them with some soapy water and then treated them with the SNS 217 (it's made from rosmary oil) and it killed them all -- and their eggs. I read that Neem oil will make your crop taste rather nasty. In any case, you must do something now -- and after you harvest you need to clean out your grow area really well. They can lay dormant and then come back on you -- it's going to mess up your trichs, and your harvest will definately be affected, but it MUST be done -- sorry you have to deal with the little monsters. Good luck

HF

I had an awful run in with the "Borg" as well about 3 weeks before harvest and I took hemperfi's advice on the sns 217. The stuff is expensive, but it works. My grow was nearly ruined completely, but after 2 sessions of SNS 217 a week apart I saw no damage and was able to salvage a small yet very tasty amount of bud still. I wish you the best . . .

I would not use anything this close to harvest--it is a "safety" issue, it is a taste issue. Even spraying with soapy water will leave a soapy residue on the buds that you are going to be able to taste when you harvest. IMO, two weeks from harvest is just too close to use anything.

She is right (as usual) but if they are bad now -- in two weeks, OMG, there are going to be millions of them... Whatever you do, I wish you much luck on your harvest... I remember how I felt when the critters were all over my babies -- and I remember putting my scope down on a leaf and seeing a single BORG looking back at me and waving it's slimy arms in the air -- it looked huge in the scope and gave me an ill feeling in the pit of my stomach. I truly sympathise..

HF

Maybe buy yourself an army of lady bugs? It would be better than doing nothing.

I just put 3000 in a 10 x 10 room for $22. Now they are all over the place. I would recommend this action.

I have just found BORG on one of my plants as well -- Luckily my girls are a good month away from harvest this time. I have been looking for hours now -- I treated the infested plant w/ Forbid," but I haven't found any on any other plant. I am hoping they are only on the one plant. I must have missed a spot or they were dormant -- I know how you feel...

Peace

Latest posts

Back