milk for calcium

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drambouie

Reaction score
is it ok to add a lil whole milk to the soil for calcium??

i have a calcium deficiency and was wondering if milk would work......

I never have heard of that but honestly i wouldn't do it. There is too much bacteria and stuff in it that may have an adverse affect let alone the smell of souring milk and who knows what toxins that produces.

Pretty sure you don't wanna add milk... that would get horribly bad.
U can get micro/macro additives cheaply that'll give em what they need.

The secondary nutrients — calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), and sulfur (S) — are required in smaller amounts than the primary nutrients. The major source for supplementing the soil with calcium and magnesium is dolomitic lime (aglime), although these nutrients are also available from a variety of fertilizer sources. Sulfur is available in fertilizers such as potassium and magnesium sulfate, gypsum (calcium sulfate), and elemental sulfur.

and here is a good read.

http://4h.unl.edu/pdf/PlantNutrition.pdf

and another

http://www.agrienergy.net/calcium.htm

and finally where to buy dolomitic lime http://www.hydroponicequipment.com/detail.asp?itemnumber=1510

I know farmer links. but isn't that what we are a bunch of pot farmers. :farm:

p.s. I find it unlikey that you have a Ca defeciency. Ussually its a PH imbalance or something if you are already adding ferts. I would check PH to make sure you not locked out. There is a PH chart at the top of this section. Adding a little lime won't hurt tho. helps "buffer" the PH. ;)

milk wont harm the plant, i use milk as a spray sometimes, helps to combat powder mildew and keep it at bay

Chalk is full of calcium. Maybe a bit of ground up chalk added to the soil would work.

Anyone ever tried it before ?

peace :)

i dunno if thats a good idea, i havent nor know anyone who has tried it though.

maybe a droplet or two of milk per pint of water wouldnt hurt...

Calcium added in milk cannot be broken down and absorbed by humans.... so i'm assuming a plant couldn't either... if someone wants to experiment... do it!! where is eman when we need him heh..

fugly said:
maybe a droplet or two of milk per pint of water wouldnt hurt...
Thats what I would do. But then again I dont think Id even wanna risk it.

KADE said:
Calcium added in milk cannot be broken down and absorbed by humans.... so i'm assuming a plant couldn't either... if someone wants to experiment... do it!! where is eman when we need him heh..

Heh Heh...thanks Kade, almost missed this post. :) I actually do use spoiled milk and yogurt about every three to four weeks, but not so much for the plants. I culture Lacto Bacilli in rice wash and milk and mix them into my soil. LB is a bacteria that eats pathogens, and lactose. If there are no pathogens for them to feed on, they will die off, so I keep them going with an occasional feeding.

so is that to kill off any bacteria in the soil?

fugly said:
so is that to kill off any bacteria in the soil?

No, just pathogens...the anaerobic variety, the bad beasties. Posted a note on it in my journal...

sanchez said:
milk generally doesn't even give proper calcium to humans, at least according to this site: www.notmilk.com

Exactly my point... plus there is calcium in almost everything nowadays.... too bad a person can't absorb it. I'm sure there is a small percentage that'll be broken down and taken in... but if it was all of it everyone would be dead from calcium overdose.

Hear of that woman who ''died by water intoxification'' from drinking 4 liters of water over a couple hours? I'm assuming it was a small framed woman... because in my line of work I can put a couple gallon jugs of water back easy in a workday.

yea but that was one of those experiments she drank 4 litres and wasnt allowed to take a piss

irish rasta said:
yea but that was one of those experiments she drank 4 litres and wasnt allowed to take a piss

Really? wow, then I dunno how she died... usually it is from flushing out the bodies natural salts and electrolytes.
Kinda like eating almonds... u can die from arsenic poisoning..... but it takes 32lbs over a weekend to do it.
If u have too much or nething i'm pretty sure bad stuff can happen.

i would think after 4 liters of water it wouldnt be optional if you could or couldnt use the bathroom, i would have peed on my leg after the second liter. :rofl:

Latest posts

Back