Miracle Gro Mea Culpa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBFan

Days of Wine and....Roses
Reaction score
Time for old BBFan to eat a little bit of Humble Pie made from Miracle Gro soil. Earlier in the week there was a thread started about Miracle Gro. Some offered their opinions on the ferts, some on the soil. Some said the soil was fine. I was one of those. Bragged about how I've used Miracle Gro many times and never had a problem.

Until now......

I have 5 plants that I started and are now 15 days old (from seed). The strain is blueberry and I've been selectively pollinating my own seeds for a few years now. The seeds from this grow were from an outdoor grow from 2007. Grew these same seeds a year ago indoors with no problems (also started those in Miracle Gro).

So here's a couple pics of what's just started happening to my little babies over the past few days. I originally thought it might be light burn as I am experimenting with aggressive lighting on this grow. But as you can see from the pics, it's obvious nute burn.

Not all the plants are burnt. One pic is of a plant that shows no sign of burn, the other shows obvious burn.

So, my apologies to any and all. I will no longer tout the virtues of Miracle Gro soil. I guess this batch I got was hotter than the batches I've used in the past. Grow and Learn!

I just had my first problem with MG soil....What is weird is all my plants (10 total I believe) were grown in soil from the same bag and only one had a problem....I only use the brand of MG that is made for seedlings though...

MG was killing my seedlings, too. Expensive lesson I learned. Not to mention the lost time :)

I use MG moisture control, but if your getting nute burn that means you didnt flush the soil a couple of days before planting in it... MG can be used but you must beware of the nutes in it... Im getting ready to have a very nice harvest in MG soil... Ive also had nute burn from Fox Farms.... MG will work if nothing better is available, but I take clones in MG soil but I flush the soil first...

Hamster Lewis said:
I just had my first problem with MG soil....What is weird is all my plants (10 total I believe) were grown in soil from the same bag and only one had a problem....I only use the brand of MG that is made for seedlings though...

Thanks Hamster. 2 of the 5 are burnt. The 3 that are burnt are stunted compared to the 2 that aren't. But I think they'll be OK.

MindzEye said:
I use MG moisture control, but if your getting nute burn that means you didnt flush the soil a couple of days before planting in it... MG can be used but you must beware of the nutes in it... Im getting ready to have a very nice harvest in MG soil... Ive also had nute burn from Fox Farms.... MG will work if nothing better is available, but I take clones in MG soil but I flush the soil first...

Do you think flushing now will help?

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

i also have 4 expensive seeds sitting in mg that had popped before I put them into the soil.It has been over a week and 1 had sprouted within 48 hours and is doing fine, the other 3 are still showing nothing.I get worried because i see the little time release nutes in the soil and wonder if that is why the others haven't sprouted, too much nutes??

BBFan said:
Do you think flushing now will help?

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I would think if the soil has time released nutes flushing would really over nute them.??.... Just my opinion.

Can't you just remove them from the pot their in, knock off all the dirt you can from the rootball and replant into Promix or something?

I've been using Promix BX for a month now and i love it.

i used mg for years there was nothing else available in my area played with the ph limeing it and trying to flush slow release nutes didnt work for me , everytime i watered it just activated it i think overall made some good grows through the years with it though. Then i finally got my hands on some foxfarm ocean forest. had to drive 3 hours to get it but well worth it IMO my plants are so much healthier than they were and i just add a little perlite and plant the ph is already good hope this helps

frankcos said:
i also have 4 expensive seeds sitting in mg that had popped before I put them into the soil.It has been over a week and 1 had sprouted within 48 hours and is doing fine, the other 3 are still showing nothing.I get worried because i see the little time release nutes in the soil and wonder if that is why the others haven't sprouted, too much nutes??

I've always germed in Miracle Gro- works great for me. I doubt the nutes had anything to do with them popping or not. When they first pop they have to be kept moist or they'll die in a hurry- and you won't know because they're in the dirt- that's why many people use the paper towel or similar method for germing. Give it a few more days- if they were too deep they can still sprout. Good luck to you.

mrkingford said:
I would think if the soil has time released nutes flushing would really over nute them.??.... Just my opinion.

Can't you just remove them from the pot their in, knock off all the dirt you can from the rootball and replant into Promix or something?

I've been using Promix BX for a month now and i love it.

Yeah MrK, that's what I figured too. MindzEye suggested flushing before planting, so I thought he might have some experience.

I think I'll just ride them out and see what happens. I'll just be doing some serious lst & hst to the 2 that aren't affected.

I can't find anywhere around here with Promix BX, but I'll keep my eyes open. I usually make my own soil when I go to 5 gallon pots and amend it myself. Thanks for the tip.

MrK, yes we all live and learn, the hard way sometimes. All those years in catholic school and I still know latin, lol. When I was in college, I did a stint at the college radio station. My moniker...voix deis. If not many people know what an umbra is...even less would know...the voice of god.

umbra
actually i did notice your name a while back and chuckled about it.
When i went to college with fred flintstone, they taught latin, especially in law.

Latest posts

Back