Miracle-Gro Organic Choice

Discussion in 'Organic Growing' started by TheSquirrelKing, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    I just bought some Miracle-Gro Organic Choice, its made with sphagnum peat moss, composted bark fines, and poultry litter (CHICKEN ****) was wondering if it would be good for marijuana growing.

2. Mar 16, 2008 #2

Fretless

Fretless

Fretless

seeker

Well I'm using it now on 10 plants. Seems ok for an inexpensive soil. I have a different strain in MG chemical, and those plants are far outgrowing the 10 in MG organic. But it's hard to say why, being as its a different strain. I think though that the MG chemical gives faster growth. All plants look good and green.

3. Mar 16, 2008 #3

Midnight Toker

Midnight Toker

Midnight Toker

Lean Mean Growing Machine

Is it good for seedlings?

4. Mar 17, 2008 #4

trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms

Dank Reaper

I know a girl on another site and she uses the organic choice MG and hasnt really had any issues but PH. if you use it buy some powdered dolomite lime for a Ph buffer and watch the ph runoff of the containers. you will need a good organic fertilizer to round the weak soil out later in the plants life. goodluck!

HydroManiac and WeedthePeople like this.
  5. Mar 19, 2008 #5

Midnight Toker

Midnight Toker

Midnight Toker

Lean Mean Growing Machine

I just started a grow with this stuff....chck out the newest GJ in my sigs :)

6. Mar 19, 2008 #6

md.apothecary

md.apothecary

md.apothecary

Art is Resistance!

i am currently using MGOC and am far disappointed. My seedlings did not do so well in it, and I also used it on some of my larger plants and received below average results. My regular backyard soil is doing better. I am assuming that it's simply a nutrient issue.

However, I have plants in MG moisture control soil, and it is doing far better than the MG OC.

I've recently been in discussions about using BLACK soils from now on because the results are phenomenal according to my research.

trillions of atoms likes this.
  7. Mar 19, 2008 #7

bombbudpuffa

bombbudpuffa

bombbudpuffa

Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

I f you like black soils I would recommend Jungle Growth. It's some good stuff;).

8. Mar 19, 2008 #8

md.apothecary

md.apothecary

md.apothecary

Art is Resistance!

Jungle Growth is organic also, but i don't know where to find it. hah

bombbudpuffa likes this.
  9. Mar 19, 2008 #9

Firepower

Firepower

Firepower

I have always used the organic and havent had any problems, only con i could find is when it dries up it compacts itself, besides that is good..:aok:

10. Mar 21, 2008 #10

Fretless

Fretless

Fretless

seeker

Yeah I kind of wish I'd driven to the next city over for some better soil. But I'm just growing for mothers/mother clones. Can always start a clone in premium stuff later on. The MG organic seems ok, but ****, the MG chemical soil plants are twice as big. I don't think it's just due to strain. This will probably be the last MG soil I use, for MJ anyway. There's just way better stuff out there and I've been reading threads on making one's own mix as well.

11. Mar 21, 2008 #11

Cook_

Cook_

Cook_

I would rather make my own organic soil just my .02 cents

12. Mar 21, 2008 #12

Smelly Jelly

Smelly Jelly

Smelly Jelly

THE ONE AND ONLY

a friend of mine is doing a grow using this its working very well so far plant is big for only a few days old and its only 15 dollars a bag so its really a win win situation same brand nutes to very well together

ocean forest potting soil contains earthworm castings, bat guano, and micronutrients. It is light in texture and well aerated...a premium blend of good things from the earth and the sea

13. Mar 22, 2008 #13

Fretless

Fretless

Fretless

seeker

Ok so I have a question for anyone who had done a grow with this MG Organic.
    My plants that are in it are fine, but very small. What about adding nutes in this situation? The difference between the MG chemical soil plants and MG organic soil plants is ridiculous, the MG chemical plants are 2-3 times larger and I don't think it is due to strain.
    Or maybe I should get some better soil and pop these plants out of the MG organic while they're still small.

Cook_ likes this.
  14. Mar 22, 2008 #14

bombbudpuffa

bombbudpuffa

bombbudpuffa

Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

Graces Hydro.com

15. Mar 23, 2008 #15

smokybear

smokybear

smokybear

I smoke, I drink

I always use promix. Very good soil and very good results. Just my thoughts. Take care everyone.

bombbudpuffa and WeedthePeople like this.
  16. Mar 24, 2008 #16

Cook_

Cook_

Cook_

Check the organic ferts in it its crap man... and not the good stuff you need a mix of alot of different guano seabird mexican bat jamacain bat worm casting perlite sand pebbles soil

Thats why its good to make your own soil ;)

17. Mar 24, 2008 #17
    Well, actually the soil seams to be working fine enough for me, i will try to upgrade to some black soil next grow.

18. Mar 25, 2008 #18

Fretless

Fretless

Fretless

seeker

Have you grown in MG organic? And if so, what, if any, fertilizer did you add? That is the question. I know there are better soil ingredients, and one could probably join a Guano of the Month Club, but that's not my current situation.

megan23247 likes this.
  19. Mar 26, 2008 #19

Cook_

Cook_

Cook_

Ive grown regular plants with organic but i usually used old plant matter or worm casting or both try checking out stealthhydro.com its really nice nice organic section with your basic needs

20. Mar 26, 2008 #20

md.apothecary

md.apothecary

md.apothecary

Art is Resistance!

MG ORGANIC gets rock hard like a mofo! This is why your plants are small. I had to remove my plants from it all together and replant because the soil was just rock hard. There is not much perlite or anything in it to really break it up and aerate the soil. This would stunt growth. It also holds water when wet, so adding ferts to mine almost killed it because it would burn the plants horribly.

I would recommend swapping before it's too late.

bearfootbob and IllusionalFate like this.