Mites or scales?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firepower

Reaction score
i just found some little specs on some of my leaves and im not sure what to make out of it.
Unfortunately i only have a camera phone and it doesnt zoom in good enough to show. this specs are about 4 times bigger than a spider mite at least the ones i had last year, they almost look like a grain of cane sugar in color but flatter and rounder. under the microscope i couldnt tell on any movement and couldnt see any kind of legs and tentacles. the color is also a beige yellowy type.
I found this on a couple of leaves on top and under the bottom and i also notices that where ever i see those specs the leave started getting a small yellow patch
any idea what this could be?
I know pics, but this things are small like a grain so ill need a good camera. thanks for any help .. :aok:

heres the best pics i can take:

pic050208_1.jpg

pic050208_2.jpg

Small yellow spot on leaves, sounds like spider mites.
They are VERY hard to get rid of, can I ask what you did to kill them off?

they look nothing like the spider mites i had last year, those i could actually see them move under the microscope and noticed insect features on them very defined, with these it almost looks like some type of dropping, today i finally got batteries for my microscope and actually noticed something that looks like it had 2 small antennas or eyes, perfectly measured apart, microscope doesnt have the sharpest image even at 100x so its hard to tell.
Also i am guessing they are not spider mites since these are found on top and under some leaves, spider mites i had before were only found under the leaves, also i havent found any webs around the plants either..

as far as the spider mites, i started with a nicotine tea at first and it just didnt work fast enough for me, so i tried a recipe HICK sent over with a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol (90%) and that did a great job, i started flowering around that time so i wasnt sure about the alcohol on the flowering trichs so i went and bought an organic pesticide intended for flowering vegetables. That last one did the job with the help of everytrhing i used, the only problem i had thou once i used the organic pesticide all my hairs turned brown and dried up. Winter got the best of those plants so i never got to see a full harvest.

Growdude said:
i was in veg when i had mites. first i bombed with a hot shot fogger, three days later i sprayed leaves with permathrin, three days later i sprayed with 50/50 iso/water twice,15 min. apart. didnt see another one since. a buddy told me you have to hit them 3 times, three days apart, with three different things to get all stages+ the ones immune to 2 out of three things used.

Growdude said:

Growdude did not mean that the small yellow spots were the spider mites. He meant that the samll yeallow spots are a sign that you have spider mites--this is what they do to the leaves. If you see not mites, they may have died off and the new ones are not hatched yet.

yeah this things just kind of appeared within the past week, the yellow spots were pretty much on the bigger ones right under neath whatever they are. they are not all over either just on the areas i found them, i would have 1 leave with 12 things on them and the leave next to it with none, so it was either a lot of those or none at all...

Firepower said:
yeah this things just kind of appeared within the past week, the yellow spots were pretty much on the bigger ones right under neath whatever they are. they are not all over either just on the areas i found them, i would have 1 leave with 12 things on them and the leave next to it with none, so it was either a lot of those or none at all...

Yea the spider mite sucks juices where he is stuck and that causes the yellow spot.

I hope you dont gotem good luck.

I would go ahead and treat for the spider mites. That may save you. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

So far they havent grown any legs or moved on the leave i took under the microscope, i pinched it and taped the mic and just left it, and still no movement after all day sitting there from any of the ones im looking at, ive seen what mites look like under the microscope and this do not look close,
Any one had mites hang on top of the leaves? this things are 50/50 on top and bottom of the leaves they are on..

since the Aphids was the closest looking to it, i photoshoped it to make it look more liek what i see, i say this is prett close, now imagin this in the size of grain of cane sugar.

i do know i have some of this flying around:
Whiteflies are a small white insect--not a true fly, but actually a relative of the aphid. They're frequently found on the undersides of leaves.
maybe their eggs or droppings?

aphids.jpg

HydroManiac said:
what color are spider mites?

thye ones i had last year were reddish yellow and as small as a needle mark..

mites.jpg

Latest posts

Back