Mites !!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read something about ozone generator to kill spider mites. Any thoughts?

So I was reading that soap can leave residual aftertaste on buds and I thought to give Spinosad a try. After 24 hours since applied, I see the bugs are still alive. The ones that are dead are the ones that the soap had killed earlier. I looked closely and I think it is the 2 spotted mite AKA the borg! It has an amazing appetite like I see a leaf with many spots over it I flip it and I see only a couple of bugs that did all this damage. I am now 18 days into flowering. I think i will have to use chemicals during flowering for the first time in my life. I will look for something to target mites and preferably something that the mites would ingest and die. The amount of foliage that i have makes it difficult to cover the entire undersides of every leaf. Any ideas? Help!

jeeze loeeeze, what happened? Did I jinx you?
I've been reading for about 2 weeks now... I stumbled across an article that suggested high heat.
And then, another guy who debunked that:

I like your thinking, but unfortunatley they can hibernate when the temp drops below 65 ... And they can withstand freezing temperatures through this hibernation... It is a fact that they can hibernate for 1 year and there is serious evidence that they can hibernate longer...

Things only get worse as the temperature gets hotter... Mites thrive in temperatures over 80 degrees... They multiply at an unbelievable rate as temperatures pass 80 degrees...

===========>>>> Somebody already posted earlier about this stuff but I hadn't read the part of the thread yet. I typed a lot of stuff here so I'm leaving it :)

There is a product called "pest strips". , this product will eliminate mites in enclosed areas,,, it is the best product on the market... Besides Avid... Which is very deadly and should only be used when all other means are exhausted..

which begs the question.... Pest strips ??? what? where?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Shot-2-29-oz-No-Pest-Insect-Strip-HG-5580-10/100004739

some saying it's NOT healthy, be careful:

Nope! They actually look better than ever right now. I hung the strip 12" above my infested mother for 6 days, took the pest strip out, and sealed it in a ziploc bag for later use if ever necessary. Then I took ph'd water and sprayed the leaves very well and wiped them off with a clean hand towel. IMHO this is the way these things should be used. You don't need 5 of them in your room when you first notice the mites and are freaking out, and you don't need one in there 24/7 for preventative. Also, BE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR VENTILATION! These wont work with your fans on, there needs to be very little air movement so that the odor permeates the room. Try them, respect them, things will be fine

this guy kinda put it in perspective I thought...

Keep in mind, some people are hippies and have a hypersensitive reaction to chemicals. If you are one of these sickly people you should probably avoid Hot Shot No pest strips. However, if you are a normal person and can leave your house without wearing a dust mask, and don't fear breathing city air and auto emissions from cars on a daily basis, then you shouldn't fear this product. Hot shot no pest strips are the #1 way to combat almost any indoor garden pest, especially mites, gnats and thrips. They are the cheapest and work great. Hang 1 NPS for every 200sq ft of garden space for a week or two and all bugs will be dead, guaranteed. Get them, use them, love them, save money, to hell with neem oil, foggers and other annoyers!

good luck, zem

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this thread had a happy ending or not, Hackerman, but it sure was entertaining!
Talk about drama and heartbreak. Lots of belly laughs there too and interesting observations. Nifty camera. Great thread.
You could put some guitar work and narration to them mite videos fer sure.
I can't subscribe, I'll blow my cover.

So I found something that looks good for mites with undetectable traces. Diafenthiuron. Here is a summary about it.
diafenthiuron:
Spectrum of Action and Uses:
  • It controls nymphs and adults and gives longer lasting control.
  • It belongs to a unique chemical group allowing control of insects and mites resistant to major chemical classes such as OPs or Pyrethroids.
  • It is selective to beneficial insects and thus best fit in IPM programs.
  • It is broad spectrum insecticide which control sucking complex and mites as well.
  • It has trans laminar action, which allows control of hidden pests in the plant canopy and on the underside of the leaves.
  • It has vapor action and works well in dense crops and in large fields.
  • It results quick knockdown through immediate paralysis of the pest.
  • It degrades into a urea derivative resulting in a phytotonic effect.
In conclusion, it is clear that diafenthiuron dissipated to a level below detectable by seven days after spraying. Usually cardamom capsules are harvested at an interval of 20–30 days. So spraying of diafenthiuron does not possess any risk of residues in the harvestable produce if sprayed at least seven days before harvesting.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/cri/2014/289747/

They say it degrades into urea which plants supposedly metabolise. I have 50 days until harvest. I am thinking, applying once tomorrow, then once after a week or so then let them be, increase the venting as much as i can and see what happens. I mean it is that or, continue with potassium soap, which is killing them but i will have to keep hitting them with it until before harvest. I an thinking, I would rather have very minute urea residues from a couple of applications than have a soap tasting bud...
Wow I was many times told and warned about the borg. I thought I was immune to them growing 15 years not having such a pest problem. Where is the good old fungus gnat, the caterpillar maybe, even root aphids were easy compared to the borg. I was hitting them with soap yesterday after i tried and failed with spinosad and i was tired from all the extra work this issue is causing and it is starting to feel like war. Soap has been my friend, my little golden gun lol

I have to say, this soap is still reducing the problem I am barely able to locate a living mite, so I hit them again today with it, will increase air movement by adding a second fan.

LOL maybe he is growing in his ford and got mites? A honda is just as prone to get mites imho :D

Both grandevo and venerate xc are bioinsecticides. Not chemicals but microorgasisms that effect their ability to eat, reproduce, and soften their outer skeletal shell.

I bet you I come back to that world, what a nightmarish, albeit, short existence... hope I get to reproduce at least once or twice

Ozone is used for sterilization, yes it will kill everything including people.
Thanks. I am looking for info whether we can use ozone as the plants are in a room to kill the mites on the plant but not the plant? I read conflicting info. There is a claim that you can raise O3 to a certain level to kill pests with only limited damage for the plant. Have you heard about this before?

I am still applying soap and it is helping a lot, actually it looks as if it is saving me. The space looks ridiculous now with 3 oscillating fans. The mites seem to be targeting only the bigger older fan leaves. I got a great sprayer with a curved nozzle lightweight plastic very smooth on the plants and it goes in between low leaves and branches so the coverage is as good as it can get. I have more than 30 days to go. I am not sure how exactly how I will proceed. I will be hitting them with more soap as its damage seems to be limited. The chemical treatment will not be used at all for now. I will get ozone, not sure if I will use it on growing plants or just between grows. I will definitely want to wash them well at harvest.

Id use Floramite, and then 3 weeks later hit them with Avid. ebay has it. Buy a small amount of Floramite, and get Avid for free.

Id use Pure Horticultural Oil on the flowering plants. Cant use Avid/Floramite on flowering plants.

Floramite wont harm beneficial insects.

Insecticide wont work on Mites as they are Arachnids/spiders. Not insects.

2363.jpg.thumb_1024x1024.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=253090735230

Reactions: zem
Yea well, I was looking into a miticide when I began to apply the potassium soap which I had already. I got a nice knapsack sprayer with a separate plastic handle with a curved nozzle. This tool is surgical, very smooth on the plants I even use it to move the branches without breaking anything and it allows me to spray the undersides very effectively. I got it only 5 liters to be handy and I was surprised at the result to be honest. I coupled it with a silly amount of oscillating fans 3 for a smallish area. However, I did see some mites surviving the windstorm right in front of the fan so they have to be hit with the soap to go. I might try a chemical in between crops or just get ozone in the future. I was very pleased to be able to control the borg with organic stuff that I had and is relatively cheap. This pest is overrated imo. The only danger is if it was left to advance without being spotted which is just another novice mistake that can happen with anything else from pests to deficiencies etc... Root aphids are harder imo. I have seen worse. Try getting in some rats that are fond of eating MJ or just like the stems to sharpen and brush their teeth. I found dead plants with some rat poo lol

Latest posts

Back