MJ versus Tobacco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauitraveler

Reaction score
Can anyone tell what is the difference between MJ and Tobacco? Which is better and why?

Am new to the site:)

Mauitraveler said:
Can anyone tell what is the difference between MJ and Tobacco? Which is better and why?

Am new to the site:)
Dude,
Tobacco, is highly addictive, carcinogenic in nature, has zero medical benefits, and kills millions of users a year.
Marijuana, on the other hand, is not carcinogenic, has many medical benefits, is not addictive, and has been shown to help the body fight cancerous cells. Not to mention, that not a single death has been linked to marijuana use.

HomieHogleg

:yeahthat:

Tobacco and marijuana should not even be compared against one another. The only thing they have in common is that they are both commonly smoked. Tobacco has NO redeeming qualities.

Except for both being plants, There really is zero comparison between the two.

One begins with the letter T and will kill you if you use it long enough...
The other begins with the letter M and has been unjustly made illegal bynthe federal gov.

I agree that mj is the better of the two. But I do believe it is addictive and it has to be bad for your lungs. Can't tell me with all the resin that builds up in my steam roller that none of it makes it to my lungs.

ChewbacaKz said:
I agree that mj is the better of the two. But I do believe it is addictive and it has to be bad for your lungs. Can't tell me with all the resin that builds up in my steam roller that none of it makes it to my lungs.
I don't think it builds up near as bad, but that might just be that you don't smoke one jay after another like a tobacco junkie. I have also found marijuana to be a good expectorant. And I really don't find it is addictive. I can go several days without smoking pot, without craving it. But I am a total ******* after a few hours without a cigarette. I have gone weeks without smoking marijuana, but with my epilepsy, that is not such a good idea. I average 2 grand mal seizures a week without marijuana. When I am smoking Marijuana on a regular basis, I rarely have seizures. I would be on SS disability without marijuana, instead of a productive member of society.

HomieHogleg

I also wldnt define MJ as addictive.....sure when I go without I get cranky but that is just me being a lil Beotch. Bottom line not smoking MJ wldnt make me sick or anything. Jmo

Tobacco is cool it attracts the girls
Well that what i thought 35 years ago.
Lol
It happened but not in droves so to speak.
T4

Rosebud said:
That is so cool HH that the pot helps your seizures.
Yep, before I discovered marijuana, I averaged 2 seizures a week. Now it is more like 1-2 a year.

HomieHogleg

That is fantastic. Our son has them, not frequently but if he does it is a doozy, ambulance time. I am so happy it works for you. was it scary to get off your pharm meds? He works at a place that drug tests and in this state the trumps mmj.

Rosebud said:
That is fantastic. Our son has them, not frequently but if he does it is a doozy, ambulance time. I am so happy it works for you. was it scary to get off your pharm meds? He works at a place that drug tests and in this state the trumps mmj.
It really was not too scary, because I didn't just quit the pharms overnight. I had been seizure free for 6 months when the doctor started gradually reducing my dosage, until I no longer took them. I didn't tell my doctor why my seizures lessened, until I was older, and he was retired. I was afraid he would tell my parents that I was smoking weed. :rolleyes: I was 14 when I was taken off the meds, and they didn't know I smoked. :) They are Bible Thumpers, and just wouldn't have understood, at the time. They, my parents, know now.:) They were a little taken aback at first, until I explained to them that God gave me the cure that man couldn't.:cool: My father is cool about it, but mom still has problems with the fact that the "Devils Weed," is actually a good treatment for my condition.:holysheep:
I am just glad that my Dad understands, but I think that comes from his education level, which makes him much more understanding than my mother.

I wish you and yours' the best.

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
It really was not too scary, because I didn't just quit the pharms overnight. I had been seizure free for 6 months when the doctor started gradually reducing my dosage, until I no longer took them. I didn't tell my doctor why my seizures lessened, until I was older, and he was retired. I was afraid he would tell my parents that I was smoking weed. :rolleyes: I was 14 when I was taken off the meds, and they didn't know I smoked. :) They are Bible Thumpers, and just wouldn't have understood, at the time. They, my parents, know now.:) They were a little taken aback at first, until I explained to them that God gave me the cure that man couldn't.:cool: My father is cool about it, but mom still has problems with the fact that the "Devils Weed," is actually a good treatment for my condition.:holysheep:
I am just glad that my Dad understands, but I think that comes from his education level, which makes him much more understanding than my mother.

I wish you and yours' the best.

HomieHogleg

I hope everyone will be as open minded as your dad. Wishful thinking!

Tobacco:

1)Chewing tobacco is highly addictive.

2)Many users find it necessary to chew while they sleep because they have become entirely dependent on the product.

3)Tobacco contains over 25 carcinogens or cancer causing agents.

4)Chewing tobacco increases the risk of oral cancers, throat and pharynx cancers.

MJ:

Marijuana helps to tackle incurable disease like cancer, reducing depression and also helps in reducing fibromyalgia symptoms.
REMOVED

ChewbacaKz said:

Any burning plant matter will not be good to inhale as it affects the cilia of your lungs - but there is no proven link between MJ and lung cancer.

As for the addiction part - not in the same way as you get addicted to alcohol or tobacco but probably in the same way you get addicted to junk food.

vic777 said:
Any burning plant matter will not be good to inhale as it affects the cilia of your lungs - but there is no proven link between MJ and lung cancer.

As for the addiction part - not in the same way as you get addicted to alcohol or tobacco but probably in the same way you get addicted to junk food.

While I will concede that there may be a yearning for marijuana when an everyday smoker, stops smoking, there is no physical addiction, and the yearnings are easily replaced with other activity. I am currently, "On the Wagon", "Studying for a Whiz Quiz." I am currently unemployed, and my potential employer, requires a pre-employment drug screen. The boss is a friend of mine, so he knows the deal.
I am now 9 days clean, and besides tending my plants, I haven't even thought about smoking. So far no seizures, so hopefully I will make it through the test on the 15th of next month without the return of the seizures. I really expect to have one or two, but if I can stay home, and keep them private, I should be employed, and medicating, by the 20th of next month.

But I digress.
My point is, that I am having no trouble not smoking. And really have not suffered any irrepressible urges to smoke, even though I do have some good bud in the jars, and some good bud a couple of weeks from harvest. And a few more plants coming off in another 6 weeks.
Have a great weekend,

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
My point is, that I am having no trouble not smoking. And really have not suffered any irrepressible urges to smoke, even though I do have some good bud in the jars, and some good bud a couple of weeks from harvest. And a few more plants coming off in another 6 weeks.
Have a great weekend,

HomieHogleg

I totally agree - my experience as well. I have gone for years without lighting up, and then when I get my hands on some good bud I will have a smoke.

It's freaky that you guys in the US have these drug tests. In South Africa employers have not thought of that yet, and I'm very glad.

As for the medical use side - sadly over here it's 100% illegal, medical or not.

I suffered from depression and was on a SSRI drug (Cipralex, think it's called something else in the states) for years. This year I decided to stop taking it - I tapered off.

I found that I still go through cycles where I feel very very low. At those times I smoke a joint and I feel that it really helps me. Anecdotal - I know, but really helps.

Actually. During a show I just watched on drugs through the ages.

In Latin America tribes like the Aztecs. They use to have tobacco enemas in which it would cause very powerful psychedelic reactions. One of the most powerful hallucinogenics they had. Moreso than mushrooms and as of that of peyote.

Marijuana is totally addictive in my opinion. I have a drug test coming up and I just cant quit smoking. I cant believe you guys are saying its not addictive!

Latest posts

Back