MMJ for my dog??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nova564t

I am my own caregiver
Reaction score
A few months ago my 9 year old mutt started having seizures, the vet put her on Potassium Bromide and that stuff turned her into a moody angry beaaach. We decided it would be better for her to have a seizure every now and then cause she just wasnt our happy dog that way. The next choice was some herbal stuff but that was gonna cost $100 a month, we found something cheaper but it dosent seem to be working, she will go a couple days seizure free then she'll have 2 the same day. I have heard epileptics get relief be using MMJ so I'm gonna try it on her. I started last night giving her about 1/4 teaspoon of tincture to see what happens. What do you guys think? Is this gonna help? She seems to be OK on it, no negative reactions yet.

I'm gonna stick around to see if it works...

Doesn;t mean I'm ok with it tho...

I'll report back on how I feel about giving you dog MMJ..

Medicine is medicine. If it helps yur dog with no ill effects,,why not use it. Just be carefull with the dosage.

yeah consider his weight and i personally would ask a vet.

We are getting close to a point where we are gonna put her down, we love her very much and cant stand to see the seizures. If this helps great, I dont think my vet will be open minded enough to ask her and she wont be able to sell us any more expensive drugs which seems to be a priority for her.

Hey Nova, I just asked my vet, who has a slight alternative edge, if it would help my Hannah, who has lost so much weight and has no appetite. He said there have been no studies done that he know of cause no big pharma will pay for them to be done, but he said he really didn't know and to research it. I did, I decided not to give Hannah any. some other stuff is working for her appetite.

Have you tried phenobarbital for your dog? It is cheap. It can cause liver failure after a long term treatment, we had a dog die from it at 6, seizures too. I was also told that the bromide yours is on takes a long time for them to get used to.
Do you have any warning when the seizures will hit? I did have a warning. If you do there is another thing you can do.
I am so sorry. It is a killer thing to watch with our dogs, people too obviously (my son)
Hang in and hugs.

would you then be considered the dogs "caregiver"..sorrry:giggle: this is a bit funny....and Im High as Hell :lama:

I guess if you are facing the option of putting the dog down, might as well get her a bit stoned...Its cheaper than the damn scripts and she will be a lot more calm.

I've had to put two dogs down in my lifetime. It killed me and both times I felt I'd waited too long to do it. If it got to the point where the vet was suggesting putting the dog down but the old mutt was still able to enjoy some pain free time, I'd try the weed to see if it could give relief from the seizures.
I wana make it clear that I would NEVER advocate getting a animal stoned for entertainment or curiosity. But first, I'd consider his weight, read up on MMJ for seizures and maybe even email a couple of vets using a dummy account if you're in a MMJ state or if they are. Hurry though... I can't stand the thought of anyones dog suffering. Is your tincture glycerine based or alcohol based?

My sister had a husky/shepard mix that got into my friends bag on night while we slept. We woke up in the morning to find a 1/4oz bag with nothing but stems & seeds left....
She was so smart...... (& super high at the time)
I'd say go for it....

Hmm, If all it does is help the dog then i would be all for it. Thing is you dont know what effect it is having on a dog, Tests have not been done. Dogs brains and human brains are different.

My only concern would be that in an elderly poorly dog you may end up causing it stress. Imagine if it starts having hallucinations, paranoia. It also increases blood pressure, Can she handle that?

I dont want to seem negative about it , I have had to put dogs down in the past before and hate the thought of it but do you really know what is going on in her body once the cannabis is getting to work?

I would be careful and keep a close eye on her.

Well so far so good, shes a little slow on her feet but we're 3 days seizure free, shes being friendly and happy when shes up. OHC, its alcohol based.

Good for Her. Thats good news.
Oh,, and Im a little slow on my feet too when Im high.:D

i woulda tried it myself nova. maybe what you see and deduce from this will help somebody else that is facing the same problem. what size dog is she? is it still helping? peace friend...

Shes about 60 lbs, we're at a week now with no seizures:aok: :dancing:

That is awesome. Is that a long time for her to go? I can't remember if you said how often she was having them. That would be so great. Keep it up.

Oh this is good. Thanks for the update. I don't like the alcohol base but ya gotta use what you have. IF I were doing it, I might try pulling back on the dose just a tad until you find the least amount that will keep the seisures at bay. I've gotten SO high on edibles that I was almost scared. I'm friendly and up when I'm stoned as well. :D

If the animal is 'sick', alcohol based or not is better than nothing..

I just had a cat with the same thing... did put him down..
I never thought of MMJ.. I would have given it a shot..
Thanks nova.. just for the 'future' thought...

I'd rather watch the animal move slowly with no issues, that watch it
in seizure.

OldHippieChick said:
Oh this is good. Thanks for the update. I don't like the alcohol base but ya gotta use what you have. IF I were doing it, I might try pulling back on the dose just a tad until you find the least amount that will keep the seisures at bay. I've gotten SO high on edibles that I was almost scared. I'm friendly and up when I'm stoned as well. :D
I'm giving her a very small dose, around 2 ml, and just at night. I mix it with her pills, they soak it up and she gobbles it down.

Latest posts

Back