MoNo's Design Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoNoXiDe

Reaction score
This is my first indoor grow. I have always wanted to grow indoors but never got around to doing it.

I decided its getting dangerous to buy from a dealer on the streets, plus i want to know what I am smoking.

My goal is to produce 8 oz a month or 16 oz every 2 months.

I have a spare closet that I would like to be able to do everything in. If I can't I could put a 4x4 tent in a sunken wall area at the end of the closet.

The closet is 2' deep x 6' wide x 8' high. It has a regular door. "Pics below"

I would love to see MP's members idea to help me out.

Here is the idea after talking to a few members already.

I can make the closet a flowering room. "if 2' deep is enough room"
I can buy a 4x4 tent to setup the veg. or vice versa veg in closet, flower in 4x4

Once I see the replies to where I should start, I will move on to what to use etc.
Door to Closet
hXXp://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/10170465225_45d3c31729_z.jpg
Inside the closet. Of course it will be cleaned out.
hXXp://farm6.staticflickr.com/5492/10170533666_8b1ac59fcd_z.jpg
I can move all this out and have the 4x4 tent setup here.
hXXp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/10170476905_4a2389dd11_z.jpg

I am thinking that that closet with the single door probably would be hard to make 2 separate rooms in. I started with a 3 x 2 vegging space within my 3 x 6.5' closet where I flowered and it just didn't work well at all. You do know that you are going to have to cut some holes somewhere in the closet to ventilate it?

You will probably not need a 4 x 4 vegging space to supply a 12-16 sq ft flowering space. Your vegging space can be quite a bit smaller than your flowering space (unless you keep mothers).

I really like perpetual harvests. I cannot plan things well enough to go 4 months between harvests (I give too much away and run out of bud), so I do like separate vegging and flowering spaces. Right now I am cycling a plant a week into the flowering closet. I had a growing disaster in June that I am just now starting to recover from...sigh.

Ultimately, you are going to have to make a basic plan and we will help you along the way. Have you got any lights now or will you buy everything once you decide on a final plan? The closet may be a better vegging space. A 4" T5 will work better in a longer narrower space. A 4 x 4 tent for flowering with a 600 or a 1000W would work well. Ventilation will probably be your biggest issue.....or you can flower in the closet and have a 2' x 4' or a 32" x 32" vegging space that will take up less room in the bedroom you are using than a 4 x 4. I think that this will need to be your first decision. There are pros and cons to both.

veg and flower both need vent and air intakes?

Yes both areas need separate intakes and exhausts.

Don't set goals for harvest til you get area dialed in environmentally wise. Once you know your plants and grow room then you can guestimate you harvest.

@ THG - No lights bought. I want to get dialed in on the setup before ordering anything.

@ Ozzy - The amount said was more of letting everyone know what I would like to get, so they know which way 'setup size' to point me.

I'm stuck because I don't really want to go cutting a bunch of holes in my ceiling and floors. I don't mind to cut the vent out and in, in my closet. I don't want to cut holes in the ceiling and floor in my spare bedroom. If that is the only way to do it, then maybe the indoor grow dream stops here.

IMO you'll need at least a 3 room set up to run those numbers of plants. A mother/clone room ,a vegging room and flowering room. The vegging and flowering rooms will have to be large enough for a min of 2 plants to be harvested each week. What ever you harvest will have to be replaced in each room. So plan big if you are want those kind of numbers consistently

ozzydiodude said:
IMO you'll need at least a 3 room set up to run those numbers of plants. A mother/clone room ,a vegging room and flowering room. The vegging and flowering rooms will have to be large enough for a min of 2 plants to be harvested each week. What ever you harvest will have to be replaced in each room. So plan big if you are want those kind of numbers consistently

I'm pretty much with Ozzy. I somehow missed your yield expectations. I don't see you doing this with a 4 x 4 tent and a vegging space. I am thinking that you are going to need a larger everything. Two plants to be harvested each week is 16-20 plants.

You are going to have to cut holes for ventilation. I really don't see it happening without cutting holes in either the floor or the ceiling.

MoNo, I just noticed the size of your pics. You are going to have to edit your original post (or I will have to disable the links to your pics). You need to delete the embedded links, resize your pics and post directly here. No direct or embedded outside links. Thanks.

how tall does the veg and flower room have to be?

is it possible to veg on 1 side 2x2 and flower on other 2x4? 8 high

Also, if I had a 3x3 or 4x4 tent, could i just vent into the room its in with a filter? intake air from the room?

MoNo, I believe I noticed that you live in Tennessee. So do I. And I drive to a hydroponics store in Nashville called "All Season's Gardening". They stock Sunblaze T5 fixtures, HID fixtures, bulbs, soils, amendments, nutrients, pots, fans, PH meters, cloning kits, the whole works. Drive over there once you've decided on your equipment and see if they have what you want. Their staff is very helpful.

They know what you're there for. Just talk in general terms. No direct mention of marijuana. I think you'll like the store. It's not a head shop, so the cops won't be writing your tag number down.

They also sell wine making supplies and cheese making supplies.

hxxp://www.allseasonsnashville.com/

if i was closer, i would. it would prolly be cheaper to have it shipped. 4 hour drive to Nashville. I live closer to Knoxville

Don't give up just because you have to maybe cut some holes you weren't counting on...it's a pain sometimes getting everything set up right. I know.

I also would suggest you reduce your yield goals as a new grower. Start small and simple, and work up to higher goals when you get a few grows under your belt. Just my opinion.

I veg in a 2 x 2 tent, and flower in a 3.5 x 3.5 closet, at the same time. I only flower 3 plants at a time, and my wife and I can't smoke all I produce. I'm giving a lot away to my sis-in-law.

i'm definitely not giving up. im set. i just gotta try another way. the tent you have vents into the ceiling too?

MoNoXiDe said:
i'm definitely not giving up. im set. i just gotta try another way. the tent you have vents into the ceiling too?

You have to vent them somewhere outside the room they're in. If you just vent them into the containing room (i.e. the room they're in), you'll heat up the room and eventually the tent too. There's no shortcut around venting. Just bite the bullet and do it right. You'll reap the benefits from it later.

Ok, so I go with the 2x2 veg in closet vent out to ceiling. would i need to cut hole in floor to get intake air? and same with the 4x4 tent? What's my next step? I would assume pick out which tents to buy.

If you cut a hole in the ceiling to vent the grow room, then you don't have to cut a hole in the floor as a source of fresh air...you could do as I did, and use the containing room air as fresh air...if it's cool enough, which in my case it is...refer to my grow room design...I get fresh air from my bedroom...via vents in the bottom of my grow closet...

it seems things got a little confusing here, yes your intake can be sucking air from the room containing your tent/closet, but the exhaust should be pushed up into the ceiling or out a window, i have my veg closet set up to suck air in down low on one side and i have a bathroom exhaust fan pushing the air out the top on the opposite side back into the room near the intake for my light/room exhaust, which is hooked up to a vent rig i made that goes in my window. the biggest thing is to have proper exhaust and air flow otherwise heat will be your biggest up hill battle, with huge ACbills... if properly vented you wont have much issues keeping your temps steady.

Latest posts

Back