MoNo's Design Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The setup is almost complete. Here is some pics.

10712600264_a8693b9228_m.jpg

10730067343_3e4627279a_m.jpg

Here is my little sketch

10729825026_ca75813200_m.jpg

Hope the size of these pics is regulation.

That looks good but you may have to put more of a flow restriction on the veg space air intake so that the air will pull through the restriction of the carbon filter in the flower room better. You need to test it to see how well it is pulling. I see you did reduce it for the veg space but you may have to reduce it more or rig up some kind of "damper" so that you get the proper air flow for each. I am taking an educated guess here but I would think that the veg should have 1/4-1/3 the air flow of the flower space. :)

do you think crimping the end of the 4" duct would work? maybe let 2" of air through, or maybe putting something over the end of the 4" duct to restrict some of the air like panty hose or a screen, idk.

I have another problem too. I vented into the attic and have about 15 foot of duct going right between the ridge cap and the octagon vent on the side of the house. Will I have problems? or is that close enough to the vent and ridge cap that it will just go right outside?

Actually, I don't think that there is any way that the air is going to go through the filter with it set up like it is. The air is always going to take the path of least resistance. And even making the intakes smaller will most likely not equalize the draw between the 2 rooms. You may find that you have to put the rooms on separate exhaust fans if you plan on using the filter.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, I don't think that there is any way that the air is going to go through the filter with it set up like it is. The air is always going to take the path of least resistance. And even making the intakes smaller will most likely not equalize the draw between the 2 rooms. You may find that you have to put the rooms on separate exhaust fans if you plan on using the filter.

how can I test to make sure its pulling enough through? When I turn it on it seems to be pulling good. I did notice that charcoal dust sucked out and onto the glass of the hood.

What do you think about the attic situation THG?

I think I may pull the duct work over to the eve vent and let it go out the eve vent instead. Thoughts?

The Hemp Goddess said:

could i put something over the 4' side like panty hose or a sock if it needs to restrict more and it will be ok?

MoNoXiDe said:
could i put something over the 4' side like panty hose or a sock if it needs to restrict more and it will be ok?

I would totally block the 4" intake in the vegg tent, then connect the 2 tents together at the bottom, a passive intake in the flower tent should provide ample air exchange for both tents if you have enough CFM from your fan.

I would suggest either a dust filter that is heavy or do as Growdude said. Here is a carbon filter that would apply significant resistance to the intake, and it will scrub the air as well: hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/organic-air-charcoal-fiber-filter-4in-p-2364.html
If you connect this to the end of the 4" hose and it still doesn't increase the other side enough, you can try a series of restrictions in the 4" hose by squeezing it down along its length to half the size as it is metal hose. But I suspect that having the filter on the end of it may be enough.

Also don't take the vent hose to the eve vents as those are intake. leave it up in the top as you had it initially. Convection will remove the exhaust air from the attic space because it will add heat to the attic space that will be pulled out the gable vent which will pull air in at the eve vents.

After a month of using this setup, you will need to go into the attic space to see if it is exhausting well enough so that it isn't building up moisture. if it is building too much moisture in the attic space, you may have to connect it to a metal vent and affix it to the gable vent so that the air is forced out (I had to do this with my setup but mine was in a smaller building)

Growdude said:
I would totally block the 4" intake in the vegg tent, then connect the 2 tents together at the bottom, a passive intake in the flower tent should provide ample air exchange for both tents if you have enough CFM from your fan.

I have a 400 cfm fan.

This is how it looks up in the attic. As you can see I'm just shy of being able to connect the duct to the vent going outside.

10759817784_3246126d56_m.jpg

There isn't a port at the bottom of the tent that I can use to tap into the closet area.

Is there a booster fan I can put in the flower tent that would help pull more from it? That way I can keep the same setup and not have to cut more holes.

Is the only problem with this setup, that it won't be able to pull from the filter? Can the filter be moved to the Veg tent and still work?

idk, I just hate that I bought and built this setup and now its not going to work. Its frustrating.

Growdude's idea is the best. Where are you getting intake air if there are not ports at the bottom? When you turn on the fan, does it pull the sides of the tent in slightly? I have worked with air and water enough to know that when the lines are not balanced (same lengths, same number of bends, same restrictions) you will get significantly more air or water through the line that is less restricted. There is no getting around this. The veggy side will pull way more air than the flowering side. Moving the filter to the veg tent would result in the flowering room not being scrubbed. Also, do not use the filter until (and unless) you need it. You may find that if you do take the exhaust right to the gable end and out the vent (I recommend that anyway because of moisture and the real possibility of mold in the attic) that you do not have an odor problem and do not need to use a filter.

The only solutions I see to this are: putting the filter on the other end of the ducting in the attic or getting another fan for the vegging space. I know that it can be a pita to have to repair holes in drywall, but IMO this setup is not going to work as it is.

so disconnecting the filter would work? Maybe I could try to sell this filter and pick up a free standing air purifier. "if needed" i've never done this before, but I think THG is right, with that much air pulling from the flower tent, the smells would exit in the attic and out the vent.

THG u mentioned putting the scrubber in the attic, but wouldn't that be blowing into the filter instead of sucking air through it? does that work?

to answer your question, there is a port at the bottom it's just in a spot where it would be hard to connect to the veg room.

I just thought of another question. With all this going on in one bedroom, is it ok running that much power?

i dont see why not, as long as you dont have everything piggy backed into one outlet you should be fine, i have a veg closet and flower area in the same room, i use all 4 outlets i have for the T5 fixture, my 600watt HPS, exhaust fan, 3 oscillating fans, air pump for airating water/nutes/teas, dehumidifyer and my desk lamp, plus my cloner bucket when needed, havnt popped a breaker yet.

Latest posts

Back