Moonshine/White Lightning/Home-distilled liquor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
A few folks have mentioned drinking some good moonshine. I've never tasted any but I've always wanted to, better yet distil my own. My dad (an Okie, like most of my family) said he had some shine that was velvety smooth goin' down but would glue your ssa to the chair within seconds. I usually don't drink hard liquor so I would do a relatively small batch. I wonder if I could do it with a home/school chemistry rig.

I might hve to try this myself it looks so easy....

wisebread.com/how-to-make-moonshine

Hamster Lewis said:
I might hve to try this myself it looks so easy....

wisebread.com/how-to-make-moonshine
Wow. I thought it was more complicated than that. All I would need is a 20 quart pot (I would use stainless steel) and a welder whom I would give a lot of space.

When I was a lot younger one time I bought a pint of Everclear.. It was around Christmas and they used to sell it for making punchs ect around that time in Fl. I couldnt even mix that stuff and drink it, It had a picture of a cornhusk on fire on the front and I think it said 190 proof grain alcohol.. strong stuff.. Dunno how anyone could drink something like. Hero

Ive been thinking about getting a home brew kit but I was thinking more like a nice ale. Moonshine is prob too much for me.

Never done it myself, but have had a few friends do it. First few batches with a small home made rig. Was strait fire to your chest instantly after swallowing. Then he bought a copper one, not sure where, I could ask if you want, and the stuff now is way better.
Also met a man named "moonshine robbie", you can only imagine what this guy looked like :rofl: Been making the shine for over 20 years. Best I've ever drank. Had 140 proof, and 190 proof.

I've been drinking Everclear white russians and Everclear kamakazis for years, pretty much anything that calls for vodka, I substitute Everclear.....it's an aquired taste.

Isn't it a requirement to live in the deep woods, walk miles to the store in the snow, have many outdoor shacks, at least 8 hubcaps and old tires, possibly many cats or animals to be able to produce and drink moonshine?

nouvellechef said:
Isn't it a requirement to live in the deep woods, walk miles to the store in the snow, have many outdoor shacks, at least 8 hubcaps and old tires, possibly many cats or animals to be able to produce and drink moonshine?

So what you are implying is that this is a person of wealth and culture....?:p

Thanks for the laugh Hammy!

cubby said:
I've been drinking Everclear white russians and Everclear kamakazis for years, pretty much anything that calls for vodka, I substitute Everclear.....it's an aquired taste.
The 190 proof version? :shocked: Wow. I am surprised that it would combine well with milk.

YYZ Skinhead said:
The 190 proof version? :shocked: Wow. I am surprised that it would combine well with milk.

Everclear combines well with everything, just like vodka x 2.
You want a great summer drink? Mix equal parts everclear, orange juice, grape friut juice, passion fruit juice, a splash of lemon juice, a splash of lime juice, shake well, drink. (watch out for bees, they love this stuff ). I use this mix for all BBQ's. I just put it in a 5 gallon coleman cooler and set it on the picknick table, most people will try one, then they start mixing it 50/50 with ginger ale....WUSSES!.

cubby said:
Everclear combines well with everything, just like vodka x 2.
You want a great summer drink? Mix equal parts everclear, orange juice, grape friut juice, passion fruit juice, a splash of lemon juice, a splash of lime juice, shake well, drink. (watch out for bees, they love this stuff ). I use this mix for all BBQ's. I just put it in a 5 gallon coleman cooler and set it on the picknick table, most people will try one, then they start mixing it 50/50 with ginger ale....WUSSES!.
Actually that sounds very tasty...It reminds me of a frozen cocktail I had at Red Lobster. I would substitute another part orange for the grapefruit because two of my pills are incompatible with grapefruit :mad:. I wouldn't add ginger ale, either. :cool:

drinking moonshine? Really? Hmm.. Me thinks it would be better used making killer hash oil ;)

nvthis said:
drinking moonshine? Really? Hmm.. Me thinks it would be better used making killer hash oil ;)
Indeed. In addition it would be a lot less pricey than ordering Everclear from NJ.

I also always substitute ever clear for vodka in screwdrivers and other mixed drinks. I keep my ever clear in the freezer. If you mix it right you can't even taste it.....and that is a dangerous thing. :)

Hamster Lewis said:
I also always substitute ever clear for vodka in screwdrivers and other mixed drinks. I keep my ever clear in the freezer. If you mix it right you can't even taste it.....and that is a dangerous thing. :)
I am about to stick mine in the freezer. The two times I drank it straight it was at room temp. Whenever I see people drinking homemade shine there is no frost on the shot glass. Freezing may well improve the "flavor".

YYZ Skinhead said:
I am about to stick mine in the freezer. The two times I drank it straight it was at room temp. Whenever I see people drinking homemade shine there is no frost on the shot glass. Freezing may well improve the "flavor".

When I was in the Air Force and stationed in Japan we kept all our hard liquor in the freezer. VO, vodka, rum etc....it always made it go down smoother.

Latest posts

Back