More Dogs Eating Drugs, Vets Say

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LdyLunatic

i wanna be cool too!
Reaction score
British Columbia
06 Sep 2006

by Matthew Ramsey,
Number Of Canines Stoned Have 'Easily Doubled' In Past 10 Years

Doped-up dogs are turning up at their vets' office in increasing numbers.

The owner of the Animal Emergency Clinic of the Fraser Valley said the number of dogs consuming their owners' illicit drugs then ending up ill in her waiting room has "easily doubled" in the past 10 years.

Dr. Nadine Koreman now treats at least one cranked-up canine case every week.

"We see a lot of dogs that come in for eating drugs," said Koreman, whose clinic works with animals from Delta to Abbotsford. "A lot of times the owner may not know exactly how much it's gotten into unless it's all gone."

The 13-year vet said marijuana is the most common drug dogs eat, but she's also treated animals that have scarfed cocaine, ecstasy, hash brownies and powerful pain medications, including opiates.

In pot cases, the owner will usually fess up to what's happened when questioned by clinic staff. The vets always ask -- not so they can call police, but so they can better treat the dogs.

"The [owners of pets] that get into other things are a little less willing [to talk]," Koreman noted.

Dogs that eat stimulants like cocaine experience hyperactivity, dilated pupils, increases in their blood pressure and heart rate and can lapse into comas. In one recent case, a dog died from an ecstasy overdose, she said.

The effect of drugs on dogs varies by the size of the animal and the amount consumed.

A small amount of pot and the dog may become sleepy one minute, then excitable the next. The dog's heart rate and temperature will typically drop; it will have dry mouth and will dribble urine.

Most dogs can "sleep off" a small amount of pot. But dogs that get well into a stash may require fluids and warming, and will have to eat activated charcoal to offset the high.

For dogs that eat opiates, the vet can administer NarCan, the same medication used on human overdose victims.

While a doped-up dog may sound funny, Koreman said a funky fido is no laughing matter.

"It's really not funny. Keep [pets] away from it," Koreman said. "I can't tell people what to do with their lives, but keep it away from your dogs and cats."

And it's not just Fraser Valley pooches that are feeling the effects of a high.

Amber Lloyd, veterinary assistant technician at the Yaletown Pet Hospital, says she can count at least four cases at that facility in recent years.

"They're in lulu land," she said of the stoned dogs. "Their heads are rolling around, their eyeballs will roll back, they act drunk."

One 24-hour emergency clinic in Vancouver has begun testing dogs for drugs, using tests similar to those used by employers who have no-drug policies.

While dogs may be prone to go to pot, cats apparently are more inclined to just say no.

"Dogs are more prone to it because dogs eat everything," said Dr. Nicky Joosting, owner of the Vancouver Feline Hospital. "It is a big problem with cats in terms of eating things like ibuprofen."

I've three cats that I absolutely must be aware at any given time in and around me plants. One in particular...he'll wreck all hell out of one if given the chance.

I still see it clearly...the day I walked into the grow and noticed a shredded leaf with something slimy all over it...and the Pikey sitting in a corner trying to look innocent.

Latest posts

Back