Morel season :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt

Just a Dawg
Reaction score
Out doing my early spring morel hunting. Beautiful out had a massive cold front pop in drop some rain and clear up. 1.5 mile hikes once in the AM and once in PM...helps come out of that winter time funk. Along with some gifted ghetto style hash a friend gave me. :hubba: not top quality but it does the trick...free and massive stone. If it works it works LOL
The hikes in the AM I am alone, clears my mind and gets those not so good memories that my dreams tend to dig up. The afternoon my side kick lil pup tags along. Sometimes we talk the whole time others not a word. lil dude n I been through a lot together.
Sorry if I got sappy, I love this time of season.

I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will.

Henry David Thoreau

SNC00149 (480x640).jpg

SNC00152 (480x640).jpg

SNC00157 (800x600).jpg

SNC00150 (480x640).jpg

SNC00153 (640x480).jpg

SNC00145 (640x480).jpg

I can hardly wait for our morel season to commence.

hmm-hmm- good

I had a tree blown over last night while cutting it up this morning I fould my first batch of Molly Mochers. :yay:

The orange ones dissolve your gizzard or liver or something, don't they, Mutt?:eek:

You know what's shocking Ozzy...they go for up to $300 a lb in like NYC and other urban "organic stores" and "Vegan stores" :rolleyes:
1/2 thought about starting a few patches and freeze drying and selling on ebay or something.

The orange ones dissolve your gizzard or liver or something, don't they, Mutt?

All of them have toxins. They have to be soaked in brine (salt and water will work...doesn't have to be brine salt) for several hours, then cooked thoroughly. This removes any bacteria and/or toxins. This applies to ALL of them. The only bad morel is the "false morel" people eat them, but many mycologists advise against it. Not enough Data and what it does to the system..

Canning is not advisable, but if you do then they must be pre-cooked and allowed to breathe during the cooking process, then canned. If straight boil style canned it can be deadly. even if pressure canned you risk poisoning..
You can freeze them or dry them and reconstitute with 1/2 and 1/2 or milk then cook.
fresh only last 2-3 days before they start to turn.

there is plenty of info on google to easily and safely hunt and prepare your own. :)
It's not like other mushrooms with extremely toxic look a likes.

Raw uncooked Morels will make you vomit so much you wish you were dead.

fresh don't last a day around my mom. She has a special crock pot just for soaking them.

Hydrozine's a wicked little read. Ever tried making rocket fuel outta the left-over water?

hey thanks for the reminder....i was planning on going and forgot about it, i'll come back with a mushroom report in a bit.....it's not to late so better get...

to early for morrels.....but heres where I go..........the person who owns the land doesnt care...if anyone walks along the river or fishes....and i don't think anyone else looks for mushrooms there...it's all good...

I usually get about 100 a year at the most....I like it

100_0198.JPG

100_0195.JPG

100_0197.JPG

Havent seen any morrels yet. Went twice today. And at least once the last 4 days. Lyloc Bushes I guess need to bloom. Cold weather coming in, wonder what thats going to do. Heres some pics......I only heard there was a tree monster out there but now I have proof...and he left behind a big pile of something.....hope you dont mind the funnies.

100_0358.JPG

100B0400-1.JPG

100_0361.JPG

100_0363.JPG

1 single solitary morel so far this season :( The season starts here at the end of February. Sometimes it's not great. Sometimes it's almost too good to be true...

PencilHead said:
Hydrozine's a wicked little read. Ever tried making rocket fuel outta the left-over water?

I believe that is only found in the "false morels"....the morchella genus ones are the actual morels and are edible...the false ones contain the toxins MMH.
The only mushrooms I eat are the magical ones...I don't like mushrooms but I tolerate the magic ones....lol

nvthis said:
1 single solitary morel so far this season :( The season starts here at the end of February. Sometimes it's not great. Sometimes it's almost too good to be true...

wierd where this is 1 ussually with enough careful leaf tossing around you will find hundred more. Keep taking that morning hike :)

Pappardelle noodles, heavy cream, pecorino, salt and pepper and big loaf of crusty bread and your good to go.

Irish said:
a few i found last season. we found something like 1000 last year. it was a very good season. been an avid hunter every spring since i could walk.

the morells begin here when temps are low of 60f or higher for three continuous nights. still a couple weeks away.

happy hunting...peace...

Nice collection Irish ;) Looks like dinner to me..

Found 2 mushrooms so far, need more sun and the 60 degree thing.

jungle, thats two more than i found. :eek: spring is not gonna cooperate here, and we'll go straight from winter to summer. very cool here still. todays high is 50, and has been hovering there for past two weeks.

getting lots of yard work done though!;) great weather for that. also getting a late start on my veggie garden, but no stress. plenty of time, i just like to push the limits on planting. lol.

soon as we get that steady sun, still plenty of time for the big white morrels. you can spot those from 50 yards away...happy hunting...peace...

Irish I've found more.....it warmed up and they came out....I found about 75 so far. Sorry you haven't been able to get some more....

i planted reg. garden today....Cherekee purples...rutgers....Big beef....green peppers, hot peppers, and have to plant some more things tommorrow.

My friend where I'm planting a garden, has relatives that have lots of river land, she thinks I might be able to hunt them there.....so next year, I might be in morrels up the ying yang....yes happy hunting and Peace to you to...

Glad you all are having a good season. Ours came to an end couple weeks ago. till next year :)
Still got some more edibles coming into season soon. :)

I was thinking the season was about over but today was my best day....found about 50. They are larger today than before......this probly makes 125 mushrooms so far....Going to put them in some shrimp scampi on mothers day..

pics of todays harvest....

100_1321.JPG

100_1322.JPG

100_1327.JPG

100_1330.JPG

100_1332.JPG

Latest posts

Back