Mother Plants

StonedCold

Reaction score
I had a question in regards to keeping your mother's healthy. Ideally, how do you keep your mother from getting tooooo big? I realize you can trim and prune... but what do you do about the roots? It just seems they will keep growing. What would be a good size pot that would avoid the necessary transplanting every year or so, because the roots grow so large, or am I entirely over thinking this?:confused:

Elephant Man

"MAD SCIENTIST"
Reaction score
Flouros my man...you can trim about an inch off of the rootball all the way around and replant them in new soil in the same pot over and over...like a bonsai;).

S

Stoney Bud

Or you could do as I do. I use a type of modified dirt/hydro for my host plants.

I let them get root bound in a one gallon pot. The plant will stop making roots if there is no need for them. I use half strength hydro nutes to feed each time. The plant gets every nutrient it wants without any effort at all. I have to water more often, but it's no big deal. Mothers grown in this manner just have to be pruned back regularly. 30% off the plant each time and I give it a week to heal. Then I move over and take another 30% off. This keeps them short as long as you want them to be. The only drawback is that you can't miss a feeding. They dry out real fast using this method. I have a plastic pan under each plant with about 4 inches of hydro solution in it after watering. The plant wicks the solution up within two days. When it's nice and dry, I repeat the process.

Elephant Man

"MAD SCIENTIST"
Reaction score
Stoney Bud said:
Or you could do as I do. I use a type of modified dirt/hydro for my host plants.

I let them get root bound in a one gallon pot. The plant will stop making roots if there is no need for them. I use half strength hydro nutes to feed each time. The plant gets every nutrient it wants without any effort at all. I have to water more often, but it's no big deal. Mothers grown in this manner just have to be pruned back regularly. 30% off the plant each time and I give it a week to heal. Then I move over and take another 30% off. This keeps them short as long as you want them to be. The only drawback is that you can't miss a feeding. They dry out real fast using this method. I have a plastic pan under each plant with about 4 inches of hydro solution in it after watering. The plant wicks the solution up within two days. When it's nice and dry, I repeat the process.

That sounds pretty trick, thanks Stoney:) ...gonna try that.

StonedCold

Reaction score
Everyone has their own techniques, that is pretty cool. Thanks guys. Why won't the root bound mother show signs of stress like an ordinary plant would thats growing?

S

Stoney Bud

StonedCold said:
Why won't the root bound mother show signs of stress like an ordinary plant would thats growing?
Because the plant is getting everything it needs for nutrients. There is nothing for it to stress about. Root bound plants in only soil stress bad. The roots keep expanding more and more trying to get more nutrients and water to support thier own growth.

When using hydro nutes, the plant doesn't seek anything. The nutrients and water are delivered to it in perfect amounts.

Latest posts