MP Glossary for Newbies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
I have been compiling this glossary of MP terminology since I asked what "wax" was. These are words/names/initials/acronyms commonly used on MP that may be unfamilar to newbies (at least, I was unfamiliar with most of them). Props to Newbietoo for posting the concept. This is an ongoing interactive compiliation that I shall update as needed, so post terms and definitions that I have overlooked, and correct me where I err.

Acid (acidic): refers to the overall state of the growing medium, as the rockwool or soil, where the PH balance is lower then 7.0.

Aero, Aeroponic: an enclosed hydroponic unit that mists the roots with a fine spray to provide oxygenation (aeration)

Alkaline: refers to the overall state of the growing medium, such as the rock wool or soil, where the PH. balance is above 7.0.

Aphids: very destructive small white insects that munch on marijuana plants.

Auto, Autoflower: strains that flower within a certain time span regardless of photoperiod, q.v.

Avid:
brand of abamectin miticide

Baked: slangs up into describing your state of mind after marijuana consumption

Ballast:
the device which regulates electrical flow of electrical lamps

Beans: seeds

BHO: butane hash oil/butane honey oil

Bondage:

Borg, the:
spider mites

Bubble Bags, Bubblebags:

Bubblehash: an excellent THC concentrate made several different ways, looking like little bubbles of goodness in hash form, produced through the use of Bubblebags.

Buzzkill: when people are stoned and laughing and chatting and having a good time then somebody says something that makes everyone go silent.

Cal/mag:

Cannabinoids: cyclic hydrocarbon molecules, such as THC, CBD and CBG, that are unique to Cannabis; each cannabinoid molecule derives from a terpenoid molecule and a phonetic acid molecule.

Carbon dioxide: a gas which plants obtain from the air - is the basic and major food of all plant life. In greenhouses or indoor operations, augmenting the natural level of CO2 in the air results in very lush and accelerated growth. It needs to be monitored for optimum levels, but is well worth the investment.

CBD: cannabidiol, the primary cannabinoid that produces the "body stone"

CBDA: CBD acid, the natural precursor to CBD which is changed into CBD by drying and/or heating

CFM: Cubic Feet per Minute

Clone, cloning: asexual reproduction by slicing a stem cutting (with leaves) off a plant and inducing the cutting to grow roots

Clonex: brand of rooting solution

CO2: Carbon Dioxide

Cotyledons: the round-ended first pair of "leaves" on a freshly germinated sprout

Cure, curing: processing buds after drying to improve taste and smokeability

Crystals: Trichomes, q.v.

Dab, dabbing: smoking Wax, q.v.

DE:
diatomaceous earth, fine shards of natural glass = bug killer

Decarboxylation:
a chemical reaction that removes a carboxyl group and releases carbon dioxide: see here and here

Digital ballast:

Drip:
an automated hydroponic unit that A) waters by gravity from above; B) waters by a pump recirculating water through containers in an enclosed reservoir

DWC:
deep water culture?

Ferts:
fertilizers
Etiolation: a nerdy synonym for stretching, q.v.

F1: a first resulting generation offspring from a cross of two different parent plant strains.

F2: a generation resulting from a cross of two of the same F1 hybrid.

FF: Fox Farm brand

FFOF:
Fox Farm Ocean Forest brand soil

FIMming:
partial Pinching, q.v.

Flip: to switch an artificial light from vegetative time length to budding time length (I think)

Floramite: brand of bifenazate miticide

Flush, Flushing: watering with no fertilizers during the last one-two weeks to wash out the residual salts

Forbid:
brand of spiromesifen miticide

Gravitropism: Gravitropism (also known as geotropism) is a turning or growth movement by a plant or fungus in response to gravity.

GH: General Hydroponics brand

Girdle, girdling: ?

GMO: genetically modified organism

Grodan: the most popular brand of rockwool, q.v.

Hash, hashish: compacted trichomes, q.v.

Herm, hermie, hermaphrodite: a single plant that has both genders (<----DO NOT WANT)

HID: high-intensity discharge lamp e.g. MH (q.v.), HPS (q.v.)

Horizontalising: bending/twisting the main stem so that the side branches grow vertically

Hortilux: a brand of bulbs that have a more natural spectrum than most HPS bulbs

HPS: High Pressure Sodium

HST: high stress training

Humidity dome: a plastic dome with air holes that covers a clone/clones to maintain moisture

Hybrid: A) a cross between two species of Cannabis; B) a cross between two strains

Hydrocorn: generic name of round kilned clay pellets used in hydroponic growing

Hydroponic growing: growing in an inorganic substrate, fertilizing with a water-nutrient solution

Hydroton: brand of Hydrocorn, q.v.

Indica: the species of Cannabis that grows (naturally) into a stocky bush shape, buds usually take 7-10 weeks to ripen; induces more of a "body stone"

ISO: isopropyl alcohol extraction

Kief: dry trichomes (q.v.) before being compacted into hash

LED: Light-emitting diode

Lollypoping:

LST: low stress training

Lumens: Amount of Visible light from a source, be it the Sun or a Bulb.

Magnetic ballast:

MH: Metal Halide

MHconv:
metal halide conversion lamp

Medical Marijuana, MMJ: - The legal marijuana obtained at dispensaries around the world. Marijuana is becoming legalized for economic reasons.

Midnight toker: person who smokes marijuana
before bed.

MV: Mercury Vapor

Nanners: plant testicles that produce pollen (not cool on a female plant)

Node: the juncture where the branches grow from the main stem

NPK: nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (in that order)

Nutes: Nutrients

Olivia's: brand of rooting solution

Organic growing: using all-natural fertilizers/soil substrates

Perlite: a volcanic glass, puffed/expanded for higher liquid retention

pH: the relative alkalinity/acidiity of a chemical compound

Photoperiod: the length of time that a light source shines

Phototropism: the growth of organisms in response to light. It is most often observed in plants, but can also occur in other organisms such as fungi.

Pinching:
hand-pinching off the newest growth on the top of a plant to induce bushier side branch growth

Popcorn buds: small branch buds that won't grow bigger, used for testing potency of a plant and for making hash

PPM: Parts Per Million

Propagation: usually (in this context) a synonym for cloning

Pucks: peat pellets used to germinate seeds

PVC: polyvinyl chloride plastic, used in hydroponics and for building a greenhouse frame

Reveg, revegging: partial harvesting with some of the branches and buds left intact, then reverting to a vegetative light/fertilising cycle to induce new vegetative growth

RO: reverse osmosis-purified water

Rockwool: extruded fibers of molten basalt used for germinating, cloning and hydroponic growing; usually alkaline and must be pH adjusted

Root: to induce root growth on a cut/clone

Root bound: when the roots can no longer spread outward because of a too-small container

Rooting compound:
a chemical solution that promotes root growth on a freshly cut clone

Sativa: the species of Cannabis that grows (naturally) into a tall Christmas-tree shape, buds usually take at least 3 months to ripen; induces more of a "head high"

ScrOG, Screen of Green:

SOG, Sea of Green: growing a large number of plants in a relatively small area

Shatter: a translucent solid butane-extracted concentrate

Shwag, schwag: low-grade, badly "cured" MJ that often has seeds in it and costs a lot more than it is worth

Sinsemilla: unpollinated seedless buds

Smart pots:

Soil-less: a growing medium that contains no soil

Stamen: the plant penis that releases pollen

Stonality: depicts how you act when high.

Stretch: what stems do under insufficent light

Stress:

Supercropping: ?

T5, T5HO: T5 High Output fluorescent lamp ranging from 24-80 watts.

Tent: an enclosed grow area containing plants and a light source, inside a bigger enclosed space

THC: tetrahydrocannabinol, the primary cannabinoid that produces the "head high"

THCA: THC acid, the natural precursor to THC which is changed into THC by drying and/or heating

Top off:

Topping: like pinching (q.v.), but with a blade/scissors resulting in a clean cut

Trichomes, trichs:
the glands on the surface of the plant that contain the cannabinoids

Trim:
the remnant foliage (with trichomes) from manicuring buds; useful for hashmaking

Veg, vegging:
vegetative growth

Wax: a waxy butane-extracted concentrate

7greeneyes said:
Love it, YYZ! :aok:
Props. :smoke1: From what I have read, I am not the only individual nervous about asking what some of the "insider" jargon means.

Rosebud said:
Brilliant! So nice to have a wordsmith on staff to do such wonderful things. Thanks YYZ.
Well, you know how I love messin with verbiage. Yesterday I was in ecstasy toking and watching the Spelling Bee. Knaidel! :woohoo: :headbang:

I'm sick as heck, but I can add a few

Lumens : Amount of Visible light from a source, be it the Sun or a Bulb.

HPS: High Pressure Sodium

MH : Metal Halide

MV :Mercury Vapor

T5HO: T5 High Output fluorescent lamp ranging from 24-80 watts.

PPM : Parts Per Million

co2: Carbon Dioxide

CFM: Cubic Feet per Minute

More to come.....

oh yeah

MHconv = metal halide conversion lamp (i use this one alot)

Speaking as a total greenhorn, I started reading the list and the first one contains photoperiod - can we add that to the list of defined terms?

Thanx, and great idea!

key2hwy said:
Speaking as a total greenhorn, I started reading the list and the first one contains photoperiod - can we add that to the list of defined terms?

Thanx, and great idea!
Green mojo for reminding me that people who aren't used to working with light may not know what "photoperiod" means! I dunno how I missed it (aside from the fact that I am an archetypal absent-minded nerd :hitchair: ).

Green Mojo to me? :eek:

Green Mojo to you for taking on a task like this to help people out! :icon_smile:

Major Kudos!:48:

Peace,

:icon_smile: key :icon_smile:

Well, with all the great grow-know I have acquired from the good people on MP, I owe it to the site to contribute. Especially to aid newbies (pay it forward) because the experts round here have provided a great deal of invaluable info of which I was previously unaware, and I have been growing for 20+ years and own a humongous grow library.

I believe Pinching and Topping are roughly the same thing. With Pinching, you grab that very top bit of growth and "pinch it off" and with topping, you take off that same bit of growth but with a more controlled cut with snippers / scissors.

I'm new still so I'm not 100% but I'm about 90% sure I'm correct.. ish? lol

EllisD said:
I believe Pinching and Topping are roughly the same thing. With Pinching, you grab that very top bit of growth and "pinch it off" and with topping, you take off that same bit of growth but with a more controlled cut with snippers / scissors.

I'm new still so I'm not 100% but I'm about 90% sure I'm correct.. ish? lol
I wasn't certain about "topping" because when I see that term here it is usually in the Outdoor sub-forum, and I thought it meant something like slicing off the top of a Christmas tree-shaped plant so it will grow into a "bush" shape. :doh: Your definitions sound more accurate. Green mojo.

Mods, can you change the thread title to "MP Interactive Glossary" since I am hardly a newbie but I get new info all the time simply by reading and asking other MPers. (That was another reason I started this thread. :smoke1: )

I believe that DE is the fossilised remains of Diatoms, not glass.
In the context that your describing it is crushed to a fine powder.
Interestingly it can also be used in its raw state as a hydroponic growing medium.

node...... reveg..... smart pots......stress..... BUI...... SM..... THG... MarPa lol

Swag is very poor quality marijuana.
Stonality depicts how you act when your high.
Stamen is the male plant sex organ which bears pollen for the beautiful females.
Shwag everyone knows as a low-grade marijuana.

Latest posts

Back