multi strain grow 1st journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Llama, how old are they now? I wouldnt start nutes until about 3 weeks in. Maybe start not full strength?

Llama said:
Really? 5 of my girls have been out of the ground for 8 days now and they seem to be doing well. If I ad a small amount of nutes into their next watering, they will do better??

the babies i got now in my journal, i started light feeding on them at day 12 or 13. i would maybe at least wait a lil longer, if u get a lil impatient like i did :). but im sure if u go really small amount u be good. keep it simple!

looking good bro!!

I think I'm going to hold off on the nutes for at least a week. The girls are growing well and I have them in 2&1/2 gal pots of Fox Farm Ocean organic soil. I'm more afraid of over fertilizing and damaging the plants than underfeeding them.

Things got pretty busy for me over the last week so here's the latest update; All seven girls are growing well as shown by the photos. The big girls were planted on April 10th and the smaller ones were re-planted on April 16th.
In the picture of all the girls together the back row from left to right is
Jock Horror, White Widow, and Original Blueberry and a fake bird on a stick.
The front row from left to right is Jock Horror, White Widow, Northern Lights and Northern Lights.

Today they received their first feeding; 2 tsp of Fox Farm Grow Big 6-4-4 in 2 gal (US) of water.

I am noticing some curling leaf edges on all of my plants to some degree but on the youngest WW and youngest BB it is really most signicant. Can somebody tell me if this is a problem or a common growing issue.

The temp stays at a constant 80 degrees with three fans circulating the air.

009.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

Llama said:
I am noticing some curling leaf edges on all of my plants to some degree but on the youngest WW and youngest BB it is really most signicant. Can somebody tell me if this is a problem or a common growing issue.

The temp stays at a constant 80 degrees with three fans circulating the air.

Heat stress. Not even summer yet. In the start of this journal ppl discussed a supply of fresh air 24/7. You are finding out the hard way, what its like not to have it. They need it.

Yeah.....you say you are circulating the air.....it also needs to be exchanged. Preferably with cooler air. There is no substitute.

OK, heat stress, I'll buy that but I do have fresh outside air being brought in through an open window with a fan, then circulated around the room. I don't know what elso to do there as my bride will not let me cut holes in the house! I have a thermometer in with the plants and the temp has never exceeded 80 degrees. Is that too warm? I can hold my hand at the top of the plants indefinitely without getting too hot.

Portable a/c unit that can be exhausted through a window might work for you...anyone ever try a regular a/c with a hose going down a drain or whatever? Should cool the air, right?

Some strains don't like temps above 75. Just finicky. Since no hole cutting. Just gonna have to ride it out. Summer is coming though.

If the temps are a concern, you could even try the homemade a/c suggestions I've seen/heard using a cooler and tubing....if it's truly an issue, I'm sure there's at least a bit of relief available....

These two that have the most leaf curling are also my two younger plants. they are the replacements for two that did not succeed in a proper germination. Both looked a little twisted when they sprouted and I'm wondering if there was some damage done to them when the germed seeds were put into soil. I tried to be gentle but I just don't know. The five other plants look really good and very minor curling on a couple of leaves. They get watered about every 5 days or so depending on how dry the soil gets. they received their 1st feeding yesterday morning. I mist them with plain water at least once and sometimes twice a day.

IMO I would stop misting plants after the first two weeks, and do you weigh your pots before and after watering? I hear this is the best way to know if the soil is totally dry, you may need to adjust your watering cycle

I never mist! Watering is as Moses suggests too, I check weight as well as poke a finger in to test dryness! % days seems like a long time between, but if it works....

OK, No misting! Why is a light misting is bad?

I am careful on the watering schedule. I also weigh the pots (by hand) and poke my finger in the dirt to test for dryness.

And just for fun, I now have three little tomatoe plants growing on the same schedule as the girls. Let's see what hapens.

So here are my girls on Mothers Day. Their seeds were planted one month ago today.
The plants all look very robust and healthy except for the two that have the curling leaf edges. I'm not getting any new curling sp hopefully the problem is solved.

After their first feeding of 2 tsp of Fox Farm Grow Big (6-4-4) the tips of some of the leaves curled down into the classic excess nitrogen claw. I heavily watered them (flushed) with fresh water yesterday so I hope it won't be a problem. Any recommendations on when to start flowering?

019.JPG

I have read so many different opinions on the leaf edge curl now don't know what the heck caused it. Temp at plant level is80 degrees, cool fresh air is circulating nicely, Their watering schedule works out to once every 5.5 days. they don't seem to be getting any worse and they are growing very well and bushy. I guess I'll just keep an eye on them and react if things change.

On another subject; looking at the photo in the last post, is it too early to switch to 12-12 light schedule? I don't want to force them too early but after July 10th (9 weeks from now) I'll be going out of town and I don't trust anybody to take care of them.

I don't see heat damage in the above pic, nor watering....they look good to me! Maybe a bit too green?

they just received their first light feeding on the 5th so they probably would be pretty green right now.

I'm really wondering if it's too early to start flowering (12/12 light schedule)within the next couple of days

Latest posts

Back