Music Good For Plants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insane

Reaction score
I know this sounds absolutely rediciulous, and normally I would call this an old stupid myth, but then TV made it true.

I was recently watching an episode of Mythbusters (I love the show, anybody else?) and they were testing the myth that classical music helps plant growth, so they grew green pea plants (not quite mj lol) and set up and bunch of different mini greenhouses on top of a roof and each had a different tape playing on a stereo in the greenhouses. To make sure that there was no difference they had a control greenhouse with nothing playing for the plants. Between classical music, angry comments, nice comments, and heavy metal (might be missing one or two) all of them grew plants better than the control with no music or recorded talking. Actually to my surprise and delight, heavy metal proved to signficantly help plant growth and health.

I don't know if anyone else saw this episode, but I gotta admit that since then I've been playing my heavenly hash plants heavy metal from my old collection every now and then. Just so happens that the closet they are growing in has a very sound nice system in the same room :)

My plants like Metallica and Megadeath the most lol

PS My nickname on this forum is Insane...so...what do you expect? ;)

I read that plants respond to vibration. Even sunlight has a frequncy that causes a vibration. So it would make sense that they would respond well to it. Mine like Floyd when getting trained. :)

Yeah thats kinda what I thought, figured it must've had something to do with vibrations and bass and what not. Luckily the system near my plants has an old school sub woofer that vibrates plenty lol :D

Mutt said:
I read that plants respond to vibration.
My girlfriend must be a plant.
icon10.gif

Seems to be a lot of that going around..oh well doesn't bother me just means us guys don't have to work as hard! lol :D

oh well doesn't bother me just means us guys don't have to work as hard

yeah it does, we have to pay for the batteries
pinkcry.gif
cwm27.gif

I read this one article where a scientist took 2 bottles of polluted water. He left one alone and on the second one he put a note on there that said "I love you". Sure enough, the water with the note got cleaner. He then took a group of people down to the polluted river and had them think good, loving thoughts around this river. Sure enough, a few days later, the water started to get cleaner. I leave notes like this for my girls. I figure it can't hurt.

Yes I remember reading that in one of your earlier posts cookie. Yes, I'm sure it can't hurt, and might even help, I just can't think of how. The music theory makes sense because as has been discussed plants respond well to vibration, but what kind of benefit do you hope to provide with your love letters? I suppose if your just hoping it will help the over all health of your plant, then go for it, but like I said before, the note isn't giving out any stimulus that the plant will respond too.

gypsycookie said:
I read this one article where a scientist took 2 bottles of polluted water. He left one alone and on the second one he put a note on there that said "I love you". Sure enough, the water with the note got cleaner. He then took a group of people down to the polluted river and had them think good, loving thoughts around this river. Sure enough, a few days later, the water started to get cleaner. I leave notes like this for my girls. I figure it can't hurt.
Hey gypsycookie, good to meetcha. I can tell ya that it's an absolute fact that the river and bottled water thing is baloney. I'm not sure where you read it, but you need to find a better source of reading material. Don't fall for that kind of bull.

If you want healthy plants that have a good yield and a great growth rate, listen to the advice on this group. I've only seen a couple of things posted that were even slightly off. I've been growing weed for more than 25 years. I've done it commercially, and I now do it for just me. I've done everything you can do to a marijuana plant except grafting. I'll probably get bored and do that to a Mother sometime.

You're using a computer so I'll figure you're a smart lady. Throw that baloney newspaper in the trash and take it from day one to smoke with advice from all the great growers on this site.

Good luck to you!!!!!

It's very good to leave love notes for your mate, however no one's gonna be able to convince me that water inside a bottle can read a note stuck on the bottle it's in and change itself.
People like to believe that everything in existence has human emotions/attributes.

In 1970 or thereabouts, a book was published called The Secret Life Of Plants.
It told of incredible discoveries.
Scientists & researchers using special microphones/recorders were able to detect live shrimp screaming when tossed in boiling water, tree's screaming when you cut off one of thier branch's or held a match to their trunks.
In one experiment, there was a room with potted plants and a guy went in and tore one to pieces and then left.
Then they had people come into the room in one's and two's. And only whenever the guy who tore up the plant went into the room, all the remaining plants screamed.
People were stunned when the read this; the book sold very well.
Except....
It was all fake.
Most biologists already knew it was fake (like physicists know a perpetual motion machine is impossible) but others re-did all the experiments and nothing unusual happened.
The entire purpose of the book was to once again prove P.T. Barnum right.
And of course to make lots of dough for the authors (inc. Berlitz, the guy who wrote a best-seller on--and in a way created the myth of--The Bermuda Triangle).

Angels/devils in smoke from the WTC's, spontaneous(sp) human combustion, crop circles/cattle mutalations by aliens, bigfoot, Loch Ness monster, physic's, astrology, jesus on a toasted cheese sandwhich, ghosts and so many others--they're all phony.
Silly humans.
Over-active imaginations and a willingness to believe anything.

gypsycookie said:
I read this one article where a scientist took 2 bottles of polluted water. He left one alone and on the second one he put a note on there that said "I love you". Sure enough, the water with the note got cleaner.

That is insane. That article must have been in the National Enquirer or something.

good 1 ganja .im with you on this 1 . im not trying to make anyone look like a ass or anything i know how exciting it is to grow and setting up at night reading high times or just cant sleep thinking of ways to make your plants to grow faster i do it . but i dont think no one is gonna convience me that plants like music or vibrations . unless it is severe enough to loosen the soil up to get more air to the roots . but i will not critisize your efforts on believing this theory .

I find it quite easy to believe that plants would respond to the vibrations, if nothing else. I don't believe, that they "scream", or have any feelings or emotions..nor ears :). But to discount the thougt that the vibrations could have positive effects on the plants metabolisms, seems a bit "closed minded".
Why, woudn't the slight vibrations promote strength, just like a circulating fan?..making "micro" tears that strengthen the plant when repaired.

Sounds reasonable to me.

c/p
Vibrations induce electrical signals across the leaflets of this plant, and cells at the base of the leaflets respond to these action potentials osmotically. This response results in a sharp change in the turgor pressure in these pulvinus cells, and that pressure change, in turn, results in the folding of the blade at the pulvinus. Another pulvinus at the base of the petiole may also respond if the vibration is severe enough. This kind of response is known as seismonasty.

How would this plant respond in terms of growth if its leaves were kept closed by constant vibration? If you think very long about photosynthesis in leaves as the driving force for growth, you will realize that continuous leaflet closure would inhibit rather than stimulate the growth of the plant. Indeed loud sounds (vibrations really) have been reported to negatively impact plant growth (reference below).

Well, there is my answer..heee hee

Hey what other myths were on that episode of Mythbusters I am trying to find it on the internet

Latest posts

Back