My 1000wt MH?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Back-packer

Reaction score
Ok, so this is my problem; I have a 1000wt MH that I'm going to use for veging my 25 clones, but I don't have enough cash flow right now to afford buying an HPS light. So what do yall think about me flowering these babies under that MH, I know it's better to use an HPS but will my MH work and if so will it hurt my yeild by using this MH over the HPS?

It'll flower just fine with the MH. I don't think your yeild will be noticably different. IMHO.

its said to veg with hps and flower with mh because of the spectrum of the bulbs, the mh bulb is some what of an orange i guess, gives more of a daylight/warm glow, its better to flower with mh IMO

The only thing that will change if you use your MH lights to flower is your harvest time. MH lights can be used for both stages( veg. & flower ) i have used MH lights for 2 grows and the only factor I noticed was it took a little longer to flower. It was an additional 2 and a half weeks with just MH lights.Another thing is MH bulbs give off more heat then hps.
Go online and you should be able to find standard hps light bulbs for under 50.00. I'm currently looking into hortilux bulbs which are about 93.00 but some growers swear by them and say with the increased Violet, Blue and Green spectrum it will increase your harvest and thats all i need to hear Bigger Buds and i want to try it.....

Smoking1

jezek said:
its said to veg with hps and flower with mh because of the spectrum of the bulbs, the mh bulb is some what of an orange i guess, gives more of a daylight/warm glow, its better to flower with mh IMO

It's the opposite. Metal halide gives off more blue light which is good for the veg cycle. An hps has more red spectrum used for flower, bloom cycle. you can get away with using a mh for the whole duration but if you had a hps your plant would like it a little bit more....................;)

Exactly Bojok. I am a user of the Hortilux bulbs and they do make a difference. It's not going to double your yield but it will help.

Thanks, that really sets my mind at rest, I thought I was going to have to buy an hps.

Can I just use the hood I have and buy an hps bulb to fit it, or do I need an entire new setup if I were to want to do that?

I don't think the hoods will use interchangable bulbs unless you bought it that way. Most MH or HPS hoods are good only for the bulb stated and only for the wattage of the bulb stated.........................;)

There are many universal hoods tho... just look online for the one you have.

'Sunmaster Warm Deluxe' is an example of a MH bulb with HPS spectrum, you can find them online.

Thanks for the info EM, but those bulbs are really way too expensive compared the difference in yeild time and amount. But thank you anyways!

ur right.. defiantely not worth the price... can almost get a hps setup for what they want for those.

Latest posts

Back