My 1st Grow Journal on MP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur Grower

Blending in...
Reaction score
I hope to do a journal all the way through harvest with these 5 Sensi Jack Flash #5 Feminized and 1 World of Seeds Strawberry Blue.

I put all 6 seeds in damp paper towels on a plate under plastic wrap and about 36 hours later the Strawberry Blue and 2 of the Jack Flash showed white. I put those 3 in Jiffy Pots under T12 flourescent lights with my makeshift "humidity dome" (baggies) over each one. The other 3 seeds went back into the paper towels.

I'll have more on nutes, soil, containers and lights later. I just hope I'm able to maintain this journal!

SeedPacks.png

1st3UnderLights.png

JiffyMix1.png

I will be sitting on my nest and watching:D

I'll pull up the recliner for this one, good luck

Thanks guys-appreciate the mojo and hope to make your interest worthwhile. Today, one more of the beans showed it's root, so that's now 3 Jack Flash and 1 Strawberry Blue in peat pots. Still nothing above ground.

The last 2 JF's I have germing don't look encouraging. One is tiny and the other might have some kind of mold on it-maybe I had a part of the paper towel too wet? I've been on the run all day, am tired, so no pics tonight. If they haven't sprouted by tomorrow, I'll post some pics. I found 3 unknown beans I had saved, but I have no idea what they are- I know I ordered them and they're not bag seed so I am germing them also in hopes of getting one more seedling out of those 5. We'll see.

AG

Does that seed starting mix have nutes in it? Make sure that you do not get anything that is too hot for seedlings.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Does that seed starting mix have nutes in it? Make sure that you do not get anything that is too hot for seedlings.

Thanks THG. You know, I assumed it didn't cause I didn't see any mention of that on the bag. Upon closer inspection, I STILL can't find an ingredient list. There is a section that says in CA and GA the mix is about 50% Sphagnum Peat Moss, about 50% Vermiculite with Lime and an organic wetting agent. Since I'm not in either of those two states, maybe mine is all Sphagnum Peat Moss? I used this last grow and like the convenience of it. I've got these small peat pots filled with it and then will transplant into FFOF. I got on MP initially before I grew the first time, and soaked up a lot of (too much?) info and made my own soil mix for my first grow-what a disaster. I didn't have enough drainage medium and it was packy as crap. I did manage to produce some bud, but I digress....:stoned:

None of the sprouts have peeked above ground yet and I'm still not encouraged about any of the 5 beans germing. The 2 are the last Jack Flash #5 and the 3 are the "unknown" beans. I'm thinking the 3 may be some Skunk #1 from Flying Dutchmen but I thought I had tried germing all of them a couple of years ago so who knows? They almost don't even look like real seeds they're so small. My plan C is some mystery free seeds shipped with some White Widow beans from amsterdammarijuanaseeds.com a long time ago. I will probably start germing a couple of those tomorrow if there's no movement on the 5 germing now.

AG

LastJF.png

3Unknowns.png

those look liek dead seeds to me now, how long have they been in the towels? black inside now?

i think this is one page everyone needs to read, not bashing your method or anything but even before i saw this guide its what i believed in and never soak/ paper towel even though it is the norm. pretty much have like a 99% germ rate, even if some seedlings dont survive. even with older seeds up to 10 years old, they just get a bit of sandpaper on the edges then straight into the soil.

hxxp://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

and FYI, no nutes in Jiffy Seed Starter ;)

PuffinNugs said:
those look liek dead seeds to me now, how long have they been in the towels? black inside now?

i think this is one page everyone needs to read, not bashing your method or anything but even before i saw this guide its what i believed in and never soak/ paper towel even though it is the norm. pretty much have like a 99% germ rate, even if some seedlings dont survive. even with older seeds up to 10 years old, they just get a bit of sandpaper on the edges then straight into the soil.

hxxp://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

and FYI, no nutes in Jiffy Seed Starter ;)

Thanks PN-and the page is a very interesting read! You're right, it is a must read. The fact that you can read 5 different sources and get 5 different opinions has always frustrated me about this hobby, especially as a new grower. I first read Cervantes book and he advocated water soaking THEN into paper towels. I just read a book by Rosenthal and he goes with the paper towel method. After a few grows I'm finally figuring out that personal experience has been and will be my best lessons! :D

I do agree they are probably dead. I think I kept the towels too wet and I think the 3 little ones were crap anyway. I did notice Mandalay mentioned their method was recommended for their seeds-have you put other brands straight into soil?

AG

Amateur Grower said:
Thanks PN-and the page is a very interesting read! You're right, it is a must read. The fact that you can read 5 different sources and get 5 different opinions has always frustrated me about this hobby, especially as a new grower. I first read Cervantes book and he advocated water soaking THEN into paper towels. I just read a book by Rosenthal and he goes with the paper towel method. After a few grows I'm finally figuring out that personal experience has been and will be my best lessons! :D

I do agree they are probably dead. I think I kept the towels too wet and I think the 3 little ones were crap anyway. I did notice Mandalay mentioned their method was recommended for their seeds-have you put other brands straight into soil?

AG

I put everything everything straight into the soil. I use small cups at first and only water with a spray bottle so the seed don't move around, that way if things seem like they are taking too long I can easily find the seed to examine, also prevents the seed from going to deep.

I used to soak, used to do the paper towel thing, but found I had a better germ rate, and seem overall slightly faster growing straight in soil.

PuffinNugs said:
I put everything everything straight into the soil. I use small cups at first and only water with a spray bottle so the seed don't move around, that way if things seem like they are taking too long I can easily find the seed to examine, also prevents the seed from going to deep.

I used to soak, used to do the paper towel thing, but found I had a better germ rate, and seem overall slightly faster growing straight in soil.

Spray bottle-great idea! That's perfect.

AG

Well, still nothing to report-no more sprouts and nothing above ground. I went back and checked calendars of some previous grows and usually 1 day after putting them in paper towels they sprout, then 2 days later they are above ground. So I'm about to move on, but I'm not giving up on the beans already in the peat pots-a Strawberry Blue and 3 JF's. I'm going to WILL those girls to live! :doh:

Either way, I'm not quitting yet. There will be something grown, by me, right now. I think I'll germ a few more of those "mystery" seeds I have later today.

AG (with emphasis on the A)

Well, one of my mystery seeds popped and went into the peat pot with some previously new soil with lots of perlite. Thought I'd try something other than the seed starting mix and see what happens.

Still nothing above ground but the optimist in me thinks something might happen tomorrow. More pics when something shows. Stay tuned.

AG

As of today I have exactly ZERO seeds above ground, so I'm cancelling this grow journal with sincere apologies to those who are following.

I wasted 5 Sensi Jack Flash #5 fem and a Strawberry Blue. I think I kept them too wet using the paper towel method. The ones that did germ probably got too dry in the peat cups. The Jiffy Grow Organic seed starting mix dries out quicker than soil and I think I'll bypass the Jiffy Grow next time.

Again, my apologies for wasting your time. I'm expecting 5 Barney's Farm LSD this week, and I'll take a lot more care with these babies. Not sure if I'll try a GJ again or not.

AG

Yes for what's worth from me, I've also found that germinating straight in the soil and final pot, with a spray bottle to keep it moist, has worked best. I don't touch it, unless the root pops out of the soil, or doesn't show after 4-5 days.

Latest posts

Back