My 2015 White Widow growing journal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farseer

Reaction score
Well hello everbody! :welcome: Nice to meet you. I'm fairly new to this forum but I've used it quite a lot a year ago (and I'd like to start out by thanking everyone for their tips- sometimes taken unbeknowst from them, without you my last year harvest would of resulted in a catastrophie). This will be my first ever growing diary, so if I'm doing something wrong, or posting too much info (or too little for that matter) do tell.

So here goes... a new year, a new start. New time to make friends and possibly enemies... but what's more important, a new season for growing Gods gift to mankind, a beautiful little (or big) plant called Mary Jane. This year is going to be my thrid "growing year" so far (well technically second as my first plant was eaten by snails- damn critters). Last year I grew a Lemon Skunk (or was it Haze?) which resulted in a 15g yield. 15 grams you say? Well you must have mucked something up! :hairpull: Well... to be honest, at the end of the harvest I was waging a war with the infamous botrytis cinerea, more commenly known as grey mould. The clash resulted in a 50% loss, but I managed to kick his backside. And it was my first grow ever, so you learn from your mistakes I suppose. Let's just say that it could have been worse, so I'm really happy with the yield at the end of the day. Nevertheless the weed was a-ma-zing, best I ever tried (not trying to sound too proud). This year is going to be different, as in I'll be growing a White Widow autoflower that's been feminized. I'm not a proper grower so to speak, so I want to keep things simple. Probably next year I'll try my luck with fotoperiods, sexing etc. But I hope that my previous year of growing will give me a much bigger insight in the art of growing.

So, I started quite early this year on the 6th of march (as oppesed to last year where I started in the secong half of april) and the germination took two days which is not bad. So from the 8th the seed has been in the soil and everything is looking swell. This year I promised myself that I will use "hand made" soil, properly prepared by me. Of course I got lazy and because of events unforseen by me, I was forced to buy regular soil from the local garden store. It has a ph of 6,5-7,5 (I know the optimum is 6-7, but I had no choice). I'm sure some nutes were added too. I'll post some pictures so you can get a glimpse of my Mary Jane. So basically there's not much to tell, as of this day the plant has around 8cm in height, as it's first node has grown nicely. It has a light green colour, so there's no nitrogen toxitcity going on. My only worry is a small brown spot occuring on one of the cotyledon leaves, maybe the pH is affecting it. I'll see how it progresses during the growth.

About the light: I'm keeping the plant as always in my room for now, and the sun shines on it for around 16h (more or less the length of the day) so I'd say that's a really good start to the plant. I have not access to LED lamps, so a recommened 20/4 cycle is not an option for me. I'll transplant it when it will have around 4-5 nodes.

That's really all I have to say in the matter, I'll be posting pictures as the times goes.

I've also been reading a lot of information on growing, so my "Green" knowledge banks as I like to call them are full of useful details I had no clue about when I was growing my first plant. This year I would love to try some low-stress-traning (fingers crossed please), as I have read it boosts bud yields significantly + apart from the amazing idea of caring for your own cannabis bonsai tree, I really need to keep the plant as low as possible. I won't be doing any TOP-ing or FIM-ing as I've heard that the length of the flowering state for autoflowers will not allow the plant to fully regenrate from the stress I could put it through. Apart from that, I will be writing my finals in one month (fingers crossed on that one as well please :aok: haha), so after that I'll have all the time in the world to take care of my baby.

So, that concludes this post, I hope I didn't digress to much. If you have any questions you would like to ask or if I didn't state something clearly enough- I don't bite. :) (also if there are any newbie newbies here that want to start, I'll try to help as much as I can). Good luck in all your travels and I hope you're having a fantastic day. I wish you all the best of luck during this year of growing!

Peace out! :smoke1:

View attachment WP_20150408_19_30_13_Pro.jpg

View attachment WP_20150408_19_30_21_Pro.jpg

View attachment WP_20150408_19_30_53_Pro.jpg

View attachment WP_20150408_19_31_15_Pro.jpg

View attachment WP_20150408_19_30_05_Pro.jpg

Hey Farseer,

We're growing the same strain ;) Is that seed from Dinafem?

It will be interesting to see how it does with natural sunlight, but a few small cfl lights would help alot. My white widows popped outta the ground march 14th, and I gotta say, a grow light would hep you out substantially.

My 2cents - that baby needs more light!

Check the link in my sig, to see my grow log.

If you have any questions i'm here to help best I can

Hey Next thanks for stopping by! I checked out your grow journal, and my my, you really know your stuff. Those are some beautiful ladies, I hope you get huge yields! I'll definitely be following your progress. As to the seeds I got mine from "Zambeza seeds" though. :D Well, when it comes to light I have never really given thought about buying lamps, because I didn't know they could be used to help outdoor strains as well. You have intrigued me though, so as soon as I'll know more, I'll get me some lamps. :) Do you mind if you could tell me what kind to buy? As in the amount (is one going to be enough?), strength, distance to the plant, how long etc. The majority of the growth will be done outdoors, as I can't have a rainforest in my room. :D But since you said I need more light, I'll do the best I can to provide.

And I have given second thought to the soil and I'll probably start mixing my own for the transplanting.

Thanks a lot man, have a great day.

As to the natural light, my Lemon Haze was grown only from the sunlight, which resulted in "airy" buds and small yield, but that's mainly because the plant had direct sunlight for only about a few hours every day (I was growing it behind my swimming pool, so light only got there when the sun is directly over it). That's why I started early this year and I'm keeping my WW in the sun as much as I can.

Your welcome bud,

I think I know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be a master. Always learning, and trying to improve..

Anyways, your plant only needs a little light while it is in veg, when it starts making flowers it needs lots of light. So if you plan on putting her outside, you just need a small light, or lights to get you by until you move her to the great outdoors. You should be able to find some compact fluorscent light bulbs just about anywhere, find the biggest one's you can.. there is cool white and warm white, u want the cool white color spectrum its 6500k, works great for veg. Try to find like a 45watt, that will be plenty. Otherwise a few smaller ones would work

Hey,,theres a yellow worm attacking your stalk. Watch out. Lol
Getter Done and Green Mojo,,,kill that fuzzy worm.

Welcome to our site Farseer!

The very best thing you could do for your baby is get it under a T5 light like was suggested above. Then when you transplant it bury the stem so it looks like you have a very short plant.

Good luck with your finals, i have a feeling you will do fine.

Thanks for the tip Next, in a few days I will probably be able to go out and buy some lamps. I'll keep you posted. :D

Haha Weedhopper, for a second there I panicked and went to investigate my girl to see if there really is something. <feeling dumb> Just a regular old pipe cleaner I use to keep the plant upright. I always have problems with it falling over, once the stalk starts to get thicker I won't need it anymore. :D

Cheers Rosebud!

I'll definately get some lamps like the one suggested above.

Thanks mate, I hope they will go as planned. :D If so, the weed will be all the sweeter.

Cheers Rosebud!

I'll definately get some lamps like the one suggested above.

Thanks mate, I hope they will go as planned. :D If so, the weed will be all the sweeter.

Why thank you.. my Wifes says im Sweet too. Lol
Told ya to kill that fuzzy worm. :rofl:
Greem Mojo Bro.

So, I've noticed that the top leaves are starting to turn a tad bit yellow in the center. I've read that this could be an iron deficiency. Now, I could be exaggerating, I'll be keeping an eye out for the sympthoms getting worse.

So the plant is around 30 days old and it's first set of fan leaves are out, so I think this is a good time to give a few nutritions. I'm using this organic nute called Biohumus Forte. Basically it's worm waste and last year I was very happy with the results and apparently you can't over use it which is a big plus for my girl.

Specs are as follows:
Nitrogen 5000 mg/l
Potassium 5000 mg/l
and of course Magnessium and all the mikroelements that are need to keep cannabis a happy plant indeed.

It says to use 35-50ml per litre of water.

What do you guys think?

Around a month old, everything seems to be going nicley. Starting to get hotter outside and the days a getting longer hich is great news. More or less 15h of direct sunlight every day, I hope that the state at which it's growing is in the norm and it's not holding back or anything like that. :D Peace out guys.

View attachment WP_20150410_13_49_13_Pro.jpg

I'll check the pH of the soil, as I stated earlier it is a tad bit higher (6,5-7,5).

So if my good-for-nothing pH-meter is actually working as it is supposed to, the soil has a pH of 6,8, so I'm happy.

Soil test kit will give you a more accurate reading then those soil probes.

Your soil looks pretty dense.. no perlite ect.. How often do you water, and how much?

I'm not sure what to say when you say that she is over a month old.. Most my plants don't make it past 70 days.

that plastic is probably not allowing the water to run off, need wet and dry. just something i noticed..BtL

Well blowinthatloud you shocked me alright... Your's is a week old? Damn, I must be doing something VERY wrong if mines a month old. I'll change the pot definately to something with holes in the bottem and add some perlite...

Your plants don't make it past 70 days? As in 70 days from germination? Wow... I'm going to have to think this all through, at this stage mine will be ready in half a year...

Latest posts

Back