my first grow... i can't tell if im screwed or not help (pics inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmlove

Reaction score
so its my first grow. got 3 plants from some seeds my friend just tossed at me. i can't tell if this one is just a male or a hermie. it looks like it has the pistils too but i could be wrong... the other two i haven;t seen any pollen sacks on yet but im assuming it probably already (EDIT):(the other two up. i had no idea till the other day cause i was away for a few days but my roomate cheked on them. well heres the pics.. and if it is a male or hermie what can i do with them... will i get any bud to smoke? the thing is the male sure smells like bud now but i suppose the smell is the same from a female to male... speaking of which what is the best way to eliminate odor?

weed 001 (3).jpg

weed 002 (2).jpg

weed 003 (3).jpg

weed 004 (2).jpg

weed 007 (2).jpg

Ones definately male the others were a bit unclear but will most likely go male. throw the male out A.S.A.P they can't be smoked. I had 1 male last year that turned 2 other healthy female white widows to male. Death to the mother f@#% males:mad:

so what can i do with it then? pull it and use it for hash? how do i go about making that. and do you think its going to **** up the potential females already?

hash or oil = lots and lots of plants...

You would have to be a brave man to smoke hash oil from a male plant and yes they **** females like motley crue on tour...:D

I had 1 male last year that turned 2 other healthy female white widows to male.
...??...a male plant doesn't have any effect on the sexuality of other plants in the general area. Environmental conditions/stress can promote hermophradism, and a male can/will pollinate fem's in the area, makeing seeds in the fem' buds, but it has no influence on sexuality.

You would have to be a brave man to smoke hash oil from a male plant
...though males contain a much smaller amount of thc, it is the same thc as females contain. No distinctions between "male" and "female" hash oils.

Maybe i shouldn't have thrown all those males out through all the years of growing, I could have had heaps of quality hash oil.:rolleyes: Next time any males surface i will keep them with the females and hope hick is right and risk my investment... not:p

I had 1 male last year that turned 2 other healthy female white widows to male.

was thinking the same thing hick................

Could someone explain why 2 plants that are starting to form white hairs and what appears to be buds suddenly (or noticeably within 24 hrs) have pollen sacks. Would this happen if there were no male next to them? Could it just be a coincidence that the 2 plants that were next to the male turned bad and the 7 females that weren't turned out good? I have been told by a lot of growers that when they are developing the are susceptable to change sex through exposure to males, but the more mature females won't. I thought this was common knowledge. Sorry if i am wrong.:)

When u sit beside a girl in school or on a bus or wherever do u get female parts? I'm 99.99999% sure thas a no.... same with the plant world.

If it's showing hairs and suddenly pollen sacks it's a hermie.
If they are sitting next to the male it's not a coincidence, they probably got pollenated.

I don't want to come across as argumentative but i will always throw males out unless i want seed. They are good for only that purpose. If you can honestly say you use them for hash oil:eek: then you must be easily pleased. I am a connesseur and have no time for **** weed, With saying that i am still not convinced that male plants have no effect on early females:D p.s i liked Kades comeback the best:)

singin' ...Your theory is not only flawed..it is totally a myth. If you had fems "turn male" it most definately did not happen due to the proximity of males. Stress can cause hermies to develop, or it may be genetic, but a male close by will NOT. It's simple biology man.
You may not be convinced, but it is a FACT and I can't/won't allow totally false information to be spread via this board.
The "only" effect that males have on females is their ability to pollinate the female pistills so that they produce seeds.

..Males contain very little thc in comparison to females, but the will produce a decent oil. The extraction process extracts the same essential iols from any cannabis plant, regardless of its sexual preference..:p..regardless of it's potency.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment on males..."always throw males out unless i want seed." ..That is their sole pupose IMHO.

"connesseur"..ehh?...What'cha growin'?...What's yer fave?..What varieties are you familiar with?..
I like to consider myself a bit of a connaisseur, though I've probably only been privvy to growing/sampleing around 50 of the hundreds of strains and hybrids available today.

thesingingdetective said:
I don't want to come across as argumentative but i will always throw males out unless i want seed. They are good for only that purpose. If you can honestly say you use them for hash oil:eek: then you must be easily pleased.

Hash oil is just the thc resin.... ur not taking anything else. 100% guarenteed you cannot tell if one was 50/50 male or all female hash oil.

OK hick you sound like you know your stuff, however you can't tell me hash oil taken from a low quality male will compare with the quality of resin taken from say a female white strain, haze etc. Singin' that theory is misleading. :p You doubt i'm a connoisseur. I have been smoking high grade **** for 16 years. When there's no good**** i go without. I am relatively new to buying dutch seeds but i have smoked northern lights and white widow ( yes everybody the real thing) and although it was a very good stone i have had way stronger gear :eek: (shock horror). In Australia, well where i come from anyway apart from differant hash's we don't keep names for our weed we just smoke the stuff, however i have smoked and grown whites, purples, and **** without knowing their lineage. To say i am not a connoisser of fine weed is being ignorant . As for strains i am growing at the moment they are arjans haze #1 and afghan. My favorite is soft putty hash. not the male kind.:)

100% of either one there would be a difference... but having a couple males thrown in the batch won't make a difference... thc is thc..

does anyone know if they teach chemistry/biology in australia.. anyways kade i always assumed thc from the same strain was same thc. male or female. same genetics same thc. not positive. just what i thought. and also singingdetective before you join this forum and fill your posts full of flaming and curse language. realize that hick is an invaluable resource on this forum and has helped hundreds of members and lurkers with his wisdom. you are not helping anyone by disrespecting hick and the other members of our community. this is the most friendly cannabis site on the net and id like it to stay that way. you want to talk about ignorant you are clearly much older than me (16 years smoking) good for you. you should at that age have much more self restraint from your actions i may be 24 but i and many others on this site are light years beyond you in terms of maturity.good luck in your endeavors. be safe and grow well:D

Does smokin' for a long time make you a connoissuer? I mean really does it really matter how long you smoke? 1 or 20 years I dont see how it matters...your still smoking the green stuff right?

learnin - well I mean if u took we'll say.. 10 males.. made oil.. and 10 females and made oil.. the females oil would be stronger...

For the hell of it for ex... say... males contain 8% and female white contain 18%... ur gonna get hit harder...

My response was not meant to offend Hick and i appologize if i did so. He has made me more wiser in growing pot and i hope he will help me out in the future. This forum does have a lot of friendly members it also has a minority of people who are sarcastic and patronizing which is fine by me , giving it back to them is fun. After all this would be a boring forum if everyone agreed. I am not proud that i have smoked weed for so long, but when i was challenged about my experiance in this this field i responded. Try not to be so sensitive learnin, take what people say with a grain of salt...;)

Latest posts

Back